4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2015 5:05 PM by jcnlv2

LR 2015.1.1 is killing me!,It is so slow I can't get anything done! Suggestions?

jcnlv2 Level 1

I am on LR 20151.1 and The Creative Cloud plan... can I go back to LR6?  I don't have any use for all the mobile stuff at this time.

I have been using Lightroom since before Adobe had it (Pixmantic I think it was) and I have always loved it and recommended it to everyone I know and I have never had issues like I have now.  ALL KINDS OF ISSUES, so many I can't keep track of them.  Editing takes forever. Right now just going from image to image to do my cropping can take 10-15 seconds. timeline images take even longer to update ... it just plain messed up. Never have I had a problem like this til now.

I recently did fresh install of Windows 8.1 and updated to the 2015 Lightroom and Photoshop when I reinstalled with the new system. Otherwise nothing has changed.  Files are on the sam drives as before where I never had problems before.  I am so backed up on my work right now and my clients just don't want to hear "software issues"

I am NOT using the Graphics processor

I admit I don't have the latest and greatest processor or graphics card but they have always been very satisfactory until now

Windows 8.1 - latest updates

32 GB Ram

AMD FX-8120 Eight Core 3.10Ghz Processor

GA-990FXA-UD3 (Socket M2) Motherboard

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti - latest updates

Do I really need to build a new system to use the new Lightroom 2015.1.1?

• 1. Re: LR 2015.1.1 is killing me!,It is so slow I can't get anything done! Suggestions?
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

LR 6 and LR CC are the same program, only the features are hidden if you have LR 6 serial number licensing vs LR CC signin licensing. 

Try pausing face detection in case that’s slowing things down by running in the background.  Hover over the identity plate area at the top left that usually has Lightroom or your name, until you see a little triangle appear, then click on that triangle and you’ll see face detection with pause-play controls.  Make sure it is Paused.

• 2. Re: LR 2015.1.1 is killing me!,It is so slow I can't get anything done! Suggestions?
            ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Also with a CC license you are allowed to install LR 5, I think, if that’d work faster for the work you need to get done.  Check down in the Find Apps of the CC desktop manager and change it to Previous Versions.

Did your slowness start with LR 2015.1.1 or with the re-install of Win 8.1 or did both happen simultaneously and you can’t be sure which it was?  Were you running LR 2015/LR 6 on the previous install of Win 8.1 or just LR 5?

• 3. Re: LR 2015.1.1 is killing me!,It is so slow I can't get anything done! Suggestions?
              jcnlv2 Level 1

I forgot to mention that face detection is off.

Yes I upgraded to to 2015 LR and PS at the same time I did the windows reinstall.  So that in itself complicates things.  I had LR 6 installed since it first became available on the previous 8.1 install and had no problems.

LR is only using about 25% of available memory

I will look into going back to LR5 at least for while I need to get these jobs out.

Thank you for your suggestions. 

• 4. Re: LR 2015.1.1 is killing me!,It is so slow I can't get anything done! Suggestions?
                jcnlv2 Level 1

I tried installing lightroom 5.7 but I would have to re-import everything that I have put into the new 2014.1.1 catalog as the 5.7 uses the old style catalog. 

I am going to blame this all on Windows update.

Interesting turn of events, when I went into the computer this morning Windows did an update.  After the update I went into Lightroom and everything was back to normal.  I think the whole problem was windows update... sometimes I find that Windows will make my system act really erratic prior to giving me the notice that an update is waiting, but I usually will see this on a reboot and I rebooted multiple times prior to blaming this problem on LR 2015.1.1... but, maybe it was the Windows update that fixed my problem?  I really don't know... the more these software makers take over our computers the more we are at their mercy and the less I know WTF is going on. I don't have auto update set for Windows, and it is supposed to notify me when a update is waiting, but if it does I never see it. But anyhow all seems good again in Lightroom.

Thank you your help