11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2015 6:22 AM by trshaner

Please Help ~ My 'sharpening' edits are not being saved in my exported images!! Very odd, very frustrated.

ingrid_pullen

Please help me... does not make any sense..

I edit my photos in LR5 and then export them - good resolution. It saves ALL edits BUT the selective sharpening that ive done. I click 'done' and makes no difference.

I have tried everything.... very very frustrated...

I am new to LR - What am i doing wrong !!??

So happy for anyones help!

Thanks

Ingrid XX

Image on RIGHT is what it looks like in LR.... image on LEFT is what it looks like when i export.... !!!

Whhaatt ! ?

Screen Shot 2015-08-12 at 7.23.21 PM.png

• 1. Re: Please Help ~ My 'sharpening' edits are not being saved in my exported images!! Very odd, very frustrated.
          Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

What options are you selecting when you export the images. A screen shot will help along with the steps you take.

• 2. Re: Please Help ~ My 'sharpening' edits are not being saved in my exported images!! Very odd, very frustrated.
            ingrid_pullen Level 1

Hi thank you so much for trying to help me !! ~ ok, check it out.... what do you think?

Screen Shot 2015-08-12 at 8.17.29 PM.png

• 3. Re: Please Help ~ My 'sharpening' edits are not being saved in my exported images!! Very odd, very frustrated.
              Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional

Sharpening can only be viewed accurately at 100% view.

The image is much too big to fit in the window in your screenshot. So, whatever application this is, it has to resample the image to make it fit in the window. This resampling is probably making the image look soft.

If the image is intended for screen viewing, I suggest that you use pixels instead of megapixels. 4 MP is something like 1600x2400 pixels.

Since this a vertical, I would use somethingl like 800 pixels on the long side. (height)

• 4. Re: Please Help ~ My 'sharpening' edits are not being saved in my exported images!! Very odd, very frustrated.
                ingrid_pullen Level 1

THANK YOu so much ~ ! So, can i confirm with you.

When exporting for screen viewing only, you suggest ticking 'resize to fit' and pick long edge (which is the height). Then typing in 800 and selecting 'pixels'. If it were a landscape shot it should be around 500 long edge pixels?

Then should i tick 'dont englarge'

For printing would you suggest doubling those numbers?

Appreciate your time!

• 5. Re: Please Help ~ My 'sharpening' edits are not being saved in my exported images!! Very odd, very frustrated.
                  ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

The idea is to make the exported photo fit on the screen without the viewer doing any resizing.

800 pixels in height tends to work well, as does 1000 pixels in width.

Yes, don't enlarge. Enlarging is a topic for another day.

Printing is all about fitting your image onto the paper, pixels per inch or pixels per cm. If the resolution drops too low you get a bad viewing. Plus, extra sharpening is usually needed.

• 6. Re: Please Help ~ My 'sharpening' edits are not being saved in my exported images!! Very odd, very frustrated.

Whenever you need an image for a specific purpose, export it with settings suited to that particular purpose.

Since you can do as many exports as you like, there's no need to keep the exported image when you're done with it.

And don't check Add to this catalog, or import the exported image into LR, it will only create confusion.

But you need to review the exported image, which is most easily done by choosing a program under Post Processing.

If you don't have Photoshop, I suggest you get IrfanView - a color managed image viewer, free for non-commercial use.

To evaluate sharpening, always view the image at 100% - any other magnification will be incorrect and misleading.

When exporting for print, enter dimensions in cm or inches, Long side is ususally sufficient, the short side is calculated automatically.

Use 300 ppi for resolution unless you have been told to use something different.

If you do your own pritning, find out what the recommended/optimal ppi is for you printer.

(for web images ppi is meaningless - the image will display the same no matter what ppi - only pixel dimensions matter.)

In the example below, the image will be printed 25 cm wide at 300 ppi. (pixels per inch)

25 cm is 10 inches - 10 x 300 = 3000 - this means that the original (the source file in LR) needs to be at least 3000 pixels wide.

You can see the pixel dimensions of the image in the Metadata panel in the Library.

export-print.png

• 7. Re: Please Help ~ My 'sharpening' edits are not being saved in my exported images!! Very odd, very frustrated.
                      Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

I find you suggestion to Not import an export of an image to the catalog a little misguided. The whole point behind LR is to Manage your images, All of them. Just how do you do that if you don't select Add to this catalog and also, for me at least, select Stack with original. If you don't do that then your exported images can and will get lost and you will end up with images all over your hard drive that you don't remember where they are or what they are of.

It's quite simple to Delete images from just the catalog ort both the catalog and the hard drive if you so chose to. When stacked with original they are always right next to the original making is extremely hard to forget you exported it and where it is.

To each their own. Just my $0.02

• 8. Re: Please Help ~ My 'sharpening' edits are not being saved in my exported images!! Very odd, very frustrated.

I guess this is a matter of personal preference.

For me the whole point of LR is to edit and manage my master files (raw files and scanned tiffs), and I keep everything else out.

There isn't much you can do with exported files in LR besides looking at them - editing is best done to the originals.

If I want to look at exported files, I use an image browser like IrfanView or Bridge, and I often delete exported files when they have served their purpose to reduce clutter on my computer. If I later need a particular file, I'll just export it again.

I'm not saying that this is the only or correct way of doing things - it's what works for me.

• 9. Re: Please Help ~ My 'sharpening' edits are not being saved in my exported images!! Very odd, very frustrated.
                          Keith_Reeder Level 4

I use Lr in the same way, Per - not everything goes into the catalogue, because there's simply no need.

• 10. Re: Please Help ~ My 'sharpening' edits are not being saved in my exported images!! Very odd, very frustrated.
                            trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The screenshot in your post shows the image in LR's Develop module compared to the export file in FireFox. The LR Develop module uses a simpler screen preview resize algorithm that tends to make the image look slightly sharper than the Library module and Exported files at less than 1:1 Zoom view sizes. In addition when using Fit and Fill Zoom view modes in the Library module a 2nd interpolation is used to create the preview, which tends to soften the image. To get a better idea of what a resized Export file will actually look like use the numbered Zoom setting (1:16, 1:8, 1:4, 1:3, 1:2) that is closest to the size of the Export image and view it in the Library module, not the Develop module.

When adjusting the Develop module sharpening and noise reduction controls make sure to use 1:1 Zoom view, which is the only 100% accurate view in LR. This is especially important when editing image files with high ISO camera settings. Over-sharpening an image or not using sufficient Luminance noise reduction to reduce visible noise can cause the image to appear softer and lighter in the Library module and in Exported image files. Again, this is due to the less accurate Develop module preview when viewed at smaller than 1:1 Zoom settings.

• 11. Re: Please Help ~ My 'sharpening' edits are not being saved in my exported images!! Very odd, very frustrated.
                              trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Shootistbond007 wrote:

I find you suggestion to Not import an export of an image to the catalog a little misguided. The whole point behind LR is to Manage your images, All of them. Just how do you do that if you don't select Add to this catalog and also, for me at least, select Stack with original. If you don't do that then your exported images can and will get lost and you will end up with images all over your hard drive that you don't remember where they are or what they are of.

If certain Export files are to be deleted shortly after their intended usage (Web posting for example) then it's probably not necessary to "add" them to the LR catalog. Of course that begs the question of why not add them to the LR catalog.....you're gonna delete them anyway. Exported images on your hard drive not in LR are simply "lost images," since you no longer have the ability to use LR's organizational tools. In a multi-user production environment it might make sense to Export files without adding them to your LR catalog, such as when exporting to a network server for use by another person. For single-user applications I suggest adding, moving, renaming, and deleting ALL files from inside LR. We hear it all the time......HELP, LR deleted my files........No you moved, renamed, or deleted them from outside LR!

Just my 2¢ worth. You are certainly free to do whatever you like.