16 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2015 6:12 AM by Laubender

How can I copy a button layer from one document to anther?

farzanegol

hi

i am working on an interactive PDF in indesign. i have made some layer and i converted them to buttons and i assign show/hide button and forms action to them. when i copy them to another document, actions don not work completely. layer still contains the action but in a default format.

how can i splve the problem?

thanks

• 1. Re: How can I copy a button layer from one document to anther?
          Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What is your InDesign version? What is your OS?
          Can you do some screenshots of the selected button with the buttons and form actions panel open before and after you copied the button?

(Use the forum's "camera" tool (Insert Image) for showing the screenshots)

Uwe

• 2. Re: How can I copy a button layer from one document to anther?
            farzanegol Level 1

thanks for your interest

my version of os is osx Yosemite 10.10.3 and my indesign version is Indesign CC

this is the original file which have some layers in show mode

Original file.jpg

and this is the copied one, i don't know why the name of layer has changed.

copied version of file.jpg

thanks again

• 3. Re: How can I copy a button layer from one document to anther?
              farzanegol Level 1

the version is indesign CC 2015

• 4. Re: How can I copy a button layer from one document to anther?

The names of the buttons have changed.

One of the oddities InDesign provides whan working with buttons.

Even if you copy and paste a button to an empty document:

Have two empty documents open, document A and document B.

Create one button in document A.

Result: The name of the button is "Button 1".

Copy "Button 1" from document A to document B.

The button pasted in document B is automatically renamed to "Button 2"

That's not CC 2015 specific.

In my opinion a very bad design decision when the developers introduced buttons back in CS5 or its a bug, that was never fixed.

Uwe

• 5. Re: How can I copy a button layer from one document to anther?

But the question remains:
                  What can we do to avoid the "automatically renaming" of buttons?

I have no straight answer.

What I tried:

1. The original document still open:
                  Exporting "Button 1" to IDMS.

Placing the IDMS in a new document:

Button is renamed to "Button 2".

2. The original document closed:

3. Quitting InDesign, starting InDesign, creating a new document:

That, I call a really bad design decision by the developers!

Last resort to solve this problem: Scripting

That should work.

Here is how a script should work:

1. Visit every button in the document (or in the selection you want to copy over)

2. Insert a label in every button that indicates its original name

3. Duplicate the selected objects (to a new page, to a new document etc.pp.)

4. Visit every duplicated button and rename it

5. Wipe off all the labels in all the buttons

Complications I will see by targeting and using MSOs (MultiStateObjects). You do not using MSOs as far as I can see, but just a sidenote here:

If you are working with MSOs, the renaming would happen again, this time also to the MSOs.

A more complex code is needed to get the button targets and apply them after doing the duplicates.

And also fixing the targets, that get lost in the process (another bug with buttons).

Uwe

• 6. Re: How can I copy a button layer from one document to anther?

And here another suggestion without using scripting:

Name the buttons individually without using numbers at the end of the name.

When pasted in, just rename the buttons by removing new number artifacts at the end of the name.

That's the easiest way and not so much error prone in comparison to figure out which renamed button is which when doing the original names with numbers.

But the preconditions for such a workflow would be absolutely strict:

1. No numbers at the end of the name of the original buttons

2. Every button needs a different, unique name per document

Uwe

• 7. Re: How can I copy a button layer from one document to anther?
                      farzanegol Level 1

thanks for your answer. but there is still one problem left and that is why buttons which are in show mode changed to ignore mode? it is clear in the photo.

thanks a lot

• 8. Re: How can I copy a button layer from one document to anther?

Sorry, I missed that.

Yes, visibility also changed.

That seems to be another bug. Maybe related to CC 2015.

I did a simple test in InDesign CC 2014.2:

Three buttons on the page.

Button 1 has one action:

Show/hide buttons and forms

Visibility:

[ x ] Button 1

[ o ] Button 2

[ o ] Button 3

Copied and pasted all three buttons to a new document.

Buttons were renamed, but visibility is maintained.

Could you do that simple test with CC 2015 and report back?

Do you have still CC 2014.2 installed?

Uwe

• 9. Re: How can I copy a button layer from one document to anther?

Now I had a chance to redo my little test with InDesign CC 2015 v11.1.0.122.

It passed OK. The visibility of the simple buttons are still intact after pasting to a new document.

What is your exact version of InDesign?

Maybe other factors are into play here, but I cannot test without your document.

You could send me a link for downloading it (from your Dropbox account) by a Personal Message through this forum if you want.

Uwe

• 10. Re: How can I copy a button layer from one document to anther?
                            farzanegol Level 1

Dear Laubender:

I have tested again in another file, and that was OK. There should be a problem with the file. 

Thanks for your time and interest. 

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

Date:Wed, Aug 19, 2015 at 7:31 pm

Subject:[InDesign] How can I copy a button layer from one document to anther?

created by Laubender in InDesign - View the full discussion

Now I had a chance to redo my little test with InDesign CC 2015 v11.1.0.122.

It passed OK. The visibility of the simple buttons are still intact after pasting to a new document.

What is your exact version of InDesign?

Maybe other factors are into play here, but I cannot test without your document.

You could send me a link for downloading it (from your Dropbox account) by a Personal Message through this forum if you want.

Uwe

If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7877104#7877104 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page:

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7877104#7877104

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following"      

Start a new discussion in InDesign by email or at Adobe Community

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624.

• 11. Re: How can I copy a button layer from one document to anther?

I have tested again in another file, and that was OK. There should be a problem with the file.

It could be something wrong with the document, minor corruption, but there could also be a special condition in the document, that forces this strange behavior.

I'd like to have a look at your file. Maybe I can find something. A bug. Or something I can turn off so that the document will work again as expected.

Did you try to export the originlal document to IDML, open the IDML file, rename and save it, not overwrite the old doc and try again to copy/paste ?

Uwe

• 12. Re: How can I copy a button layer from one document to anther?
                                farzanegol Level 1

No I have not exported it to IDML. Actually it is a file I work on in my office.today I am off.  Tommorow i will go to my office and I will send the file for you. I will also try exporting as IDML. And I will let you know. 

Thanks a lot

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

Date:Thu, Aug 20, 2015 at 1:54 pm

Subject:[InDesign] How can I copy a button layer from one document to anther?

created by Laubender in InDesign - View the full discussion

It could be something wrong with the document, minor corruption, but there could also be a special condition in the document, that forces this strange behavior.

I'd like to have a look at your file. Maybe I can find something. A bug. Or something I can turn off so that the document will work again as expected.

Did you try to export the originlal document to IDML, open the IDML file, rename and save it, not overwrite the old doc and try again to copy/paste ?

Uwe

If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7880594#7880594 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page:

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7880594#7880594

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following"      

Start a new discussion in InDesign by email or at Adobe Community

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624.

• 13. Re: How can I copy a button layer from one document to anther?
                                  farzanegol Level 1

Hithe file with the name original is the file i start working on and the file with name coppied is the file that i copy from the original to and has the problem.Thanks a lot

• 14. Re: How can I copy a button layer from one document to anther?

I cannot see any file. You have to know, that you cannot attach a file to your message here in the forum or when answering by mail.

This feature is disabled for all of us participants here.

Instead you have to post a download link (best would be Dropbox), either sent to me by a personal message through this forum or as part of a message here (not private).

Uwe

• 15. Re: How can I copy a button layer from one document to anther?
                                      farzanegol Level 1

Dear laubendertoday i accidentally come up with something strange. when i select every segment of the diagram i sent the image of in the forum, it didn't work, but when select them all together by dragging, it works fine. by the way, thanks again for your interest and time.    

• 16. Re: How can I copy a button layer from one document to anther?

Still, you have to provide a link to the downloadable InDesign files. The files could be stored with a service like Dropbox.

Please, send this link, otherwise I cannot help…

Uwe