3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2006 8:17 PM by SerpicoLugNut

getURL --javascript stops working under Flash 8

HitParader
      I have ran into a strange problem that I hope is simple to diagnose. I have done many projects where the Flash object calls a Javascript in the parent web page using a simple getURL method, like this:

getURL("javascript:resizeSWF("+40+")");

That has worked fine for years. But I have noted when publishing these projects as Flash 8, that call no longer reaches the Javascript function (the Javascript does not execute). Publishing as ver 7 or earlier is fine. Am I missing something obvious here, or is there a new security restriction in Flash 8 that prevents directly communicating with Javascript functions? Thanks
        • 1. Re: getURL --javascript stops working under Flash 8
          Level 7

HitParader wrote:
          > I have ran into a strange problem that I hope is simple to diagnose. I have
          > done many projects where the Flash object calls a Javascript in the parent web
          > page using a simple getURL method, like this:
          >
          > getURL("javascript:resizeSWF("+40+")");
          >
          > That has worked fine for years. But I have noted when publishing these
          > projects as Flash 8, that call no longer reaches the Javascript function (the
          > Javascript does not execute). Publishing as ver 7 or earlier is fine. Am I
          > missing something obvious here, or is there a new security restriction in Flash
          > 8 that prevents directly communicating with Javascript functions? Thanks

You need to test it online. Change in flash player as well as IE and FF security
          no longer allow Flash - JS - HTML on desktop. You need to upload it to server and
          test in real time. Should work just fine.

--
          Best Regards

Urami

--

<urami>
          If you want to mail me - DO NOT LAUGH AT MY ADDRESS
          </urami>
          • 3. Re: getURL --javascript stops working under Flash 8
            SerpicoLugNut
            I'm having a similar issue, but the javascript I'm calling within Flash is the show/hide layer js from Dreamweaver. It works fine inside FF, but the same behavior has no effect in IE6/7. And I couldn't get my swf/js to integrate exporting as a Flash 8 movie on either the desktop or the server. I had to downgrade to Flash 7 to get it working at all inside FF and Safari.

Here's a link to see it in action (only Carroll and Troup counties are active);
            http://pixegen.com/sandbox/map.html

Any ideas on why IE isn't working?