6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2015 7:42 AM by Szalam

no real time playback

simonw58393276

Hi,

I'm still new to AE but I see many people have had these issue before I can't get any clips to play in real time (HD 25fps)
      running AE CS6 on a macbook retina mid 2012 2,6GHz 16GB RAM yosemite (is that the problem?)
      anyone know how to fix this? would it help to get an older OS X? I'm pretty desperate...

thanks

simon

• 1. Re: no real time playback
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Real time preview depends on your comp settings and requires that you do a Ram Preview. Set the composition resolution to Auto and set the zoom factor to 50% then select Composition>Preview or use the Preview Panel to start a ram preview. This should give you several seconds of RAM Preview. The space bar will not give you a ram preview with CS6.

• 2. Re: no real time playback
            simonw58393276 Level 1

Hi Mr Rick

thank you so much the problem is I cant even get the footage to play

even at a quarter resolutio its between 10 and 15fps tops

AE uses about 10GB but still not even RAM preview its all slomo

• 3. Re: no real time playback
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

How are you initiating this preview?

Have you updated to After Effects version 11.0.4?

• 4. Re: no real time playback
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have an identical machine and I have never had any problems with real time preview even at 100% view factor (same as 50% scale on non retina display) using 2K or HD material. I suspect that you've either fouled up the memory management, have some 3rd party codecs installed, are running out of drive space or something else odd is going on.

• 5. Re: no real time playback
                  simonw58393276 Level 1

yes 11.0.4

it doesn't play anything no footage no compositions I really don't understand
                  .mov file from desktop, imported, space key and only 15fps at best...

completely fresh installation of OS X 5 days ago and pretty much all I put on was the CS6 collection and the patch for AE to run at all
                  harddrive is only 256GB but 180Gig are still free...
                  tried it on an imac mid 2012 8GB RAM running mavericks same problem

I'm completely lost

Bildschirmfoto 2015-08-17 um 05.35.52.pngBildschirmfoto 2015-08-17 um 05.27.55.png

• 6. Re: no real time playback
                    Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Spacebar is not the way to view things real time in CS6. You use either the 0 key on the number pad or you press the RAM Preview button in the Preview Panel (or, Vorschau panel in your case). It's the button that looks like |||> on the far right.