25 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2015 12:20 PM by RyanT

InDesign CC 2015 crashing! Any suggestions?

SmythRob

Recently InDesign has begun crashing and I don't know what could be causing it. I've used it for ten years or more and it's never behaved like this before?

I'm on an iMac running OSX 10.10.4 and re-installed InDesign yesterday so it's bang up to date. An online chat with tech support was very frustrating. They asked me to create a new document and since it didn't crash then it's not an InDesign application problem!

I've reset the preferences; installed Dreamweaver (as advised somewhere else!); logged out and back in to Creative Cloud but it's still crashing!

Anyone got any suggestions on what I could try next?

Many thanks...Rob.

• 1. Re: InDesign CC 2015 crashing! Any suggestions?
          WriterGuy92507

Having the same problem on Mac OSX 10.10.5. Updated both the OS and InDesign yesterday to the latest versions, and now InDesign simply won't open. Have restarted, reset permissions and done most of the standard steps. So annoying!

• 3. Re: InDesign CC 2015 crashing! Any suggestions?
            Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Peter,

10.10.5 is the latest version of Yosemite. The update came out yesterday (probably last version before El Capitan).

• 4. Re: InDesign CC 2015 crashing! Any suggestions?
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Think I need to clean my glasses. I swear it said 10.5.5

• 5. Re: InDesign CC 2015 crashing! Any suggestions?
                WriterGuy92507 Level 1

It DID say 10.5.5. I caught my typo. Thanks, Peter!

Turns out, I think a corrupt file was causing my problems.
                I was able to open the file in an earlier version of InDesign, saved it as an INDL file and was successfully able to open the file in the current version of InDesign.

Frankly, it worries me that an old version could handle a corrupt file better than a new one, but as long as I can stuff to work, I figure it's not worth losing sleep over.

• 6. Re: InDesign CC 2015 crashing! Any suggestions?

So I'm not blind or senile, after all. Whew.

If this was a converted legacy file, with each new version we see more and more problems with direct conversion. I tend to export to IDML or .inx (if available) from the original version and convert that as it seems more trouble-free, or at the very least export to IDML immediately after any conversion. See Remove minor corruption by exporting

• 7. Re: InDesign CC 2015 crashing! Any suggestions?
                    SmythRob Level 1

Peter, Steve and WriterGuy,

Thank you so much for responding. It's was getting mentally exhausting trying to figure this thing out but I think (fingers crossed) that it might be a legacy issue as you suggest.

There are a few publications that I update every year at this time so some of them have been through several versions of InDesign (CS5 to CS6 to CC 2014) without any problems but now in CC 2015 they decide to start crashing! They are all in the 50 to 100 pages range and not all are problematic, which is puzzling.

In desperation I went back to my previous iMac (vintage, white, still working and much loved!) and started afresh with one of the publications - using InDesign 5.5. So painful that it forced me to keep thinking about the problem. In the end I decided that it must be the conversions in successive InDesign versions that was causing the problem.

So, opened one file in CC 2015 and saved again as .idml immediately. It opens in CS6 (only other version I have on my current iMac) and it seems to be holding up. I can cope with using CS6 again for a while to work through these legacy files so problem solved I hope!

All the best and thanks again...Rob.

• 8. Re: InDesign CC 2015 crashing! Any suggestions?
                      ozpaul Level 1

InDesign CC 2015 has been constantly crashing on my iMac for the last 5 days. It happens when I select a text box in a particular project and move the bottom handle up to make the text box shorter. This is in a 30 page document with a bunch of tables and images.

I was able to make minor text edits up until I tried to resize the text box. This box was part of threaded text that runs right through the document.

My solution was to open the file, save as an idml file, uninstall InDesign CC 2015, and reinstall InDesign CC 2014.

My crashing problem went away, and I got my project finished but am a bit wary about reinstalling InDesign CC 2015.

After living through 6 months of Illustrator crashes last year, I really don't need this experience with InDesign. I've been using InDesign since v1 and it has always been (along with Photoshop) the most stable of apps. Adobe is happy to take my money every month, is it too much to expect that in exchange we get software that works?

• 9. Re: InDesign CC 2015 crashing! Any suggestions?
                        WriterGuy92507 Level 1

I've experienced the same crash -- having to adjust the bottom of a text box. But I don't think the problem is with InDesign CC2015. Because just as you did, once the file is saved as an IDML file and re-opened, it works fine. I think there's some sort of "crud" that's in the code with documents that were started with one version of InDesign and then worked on with a newer version. For whatever reason, saving as IDML and reopening clears out all the crud, regardless of CC2014 or CC2015.

I think there are still quite a few bugs in ALL the releases of InDesign, but CC2015 doesn't appear to be any worse than CC2014 (which is hardly a glowing endorsement, but it could always be worse!).

• 10. Re: InDesign CC 2015 crashing! Any suggestions?
                          Nita Congress

Chiming in on this thread -- spent pretty much all day yesterday painstakingly recreating a (presumably) corrupt document, patiently working in pieces in CC2014, opening in CC2015, saving as IDML, reopening in CC2014 and adding in new pieces. The reason I believe the original file was corrupt is because I couldn't get 2014 to open an IDML version (receiving instead a message that 2014 couldn't open this INDD file; thus the program wasn't reading the file configuration correctly, I'm guessing). Anyway, opened what I thought was a stable version on 2015 this morning -- and it crashed. So I'm going to complete the project in 2014.

But this is very worrisome -- is Adobe trying to fix this problem? And relatedly, when I try to open in 2015, the program will crash because it's trying to open up all the corrupted file versions -- I can't seem to get it to stop automatic recovery of past files.

Any guidance much appreciated. Yesterday was a completely horrible day -- haven't had corruption issues like that since dealing in Word in the '90s -- and I am looking to avoid recurrences.

• 11. Re: InDesign CC 2015 crashing! Any suggestions?
                            SmythRob Level 1

Nita, I share your concern. Even trying to follow the sequence you outlined brings me back to the confusion and frustration I originally experienced.

In my original question I didn't want to confuse the issue by mentioning all of the recovery files that InDesign just didn't want to let go, but I faced that same problem too. In the end I even tried deleting some of them (probably not a good idea!) but that might have further compounded my problem? Anyway, saving as .IDML worked for me this time (although I did end up having to go back to CS6 to complete the project) but I now no longer have the confidence in InDesign that I used to have.

For future reference, maybe someone knows of a way to force InDesign to "release" previous recovery files? I have a feeling/dread that this will happen again so I'd like to be ready next time! ?

And, if anyone from Adobe is listening, maybe you could let us know if this a known issue and If there a magic cmd/opt/ctrl/shift combination that can be used at startup to release recovery files for a "safe startup"?

All the best...Rob.

• 12. Re: InDesign CC 2015 crashing! Any suggestions?
                              blaise2112

I am experiencing the same problem, and so are others I work with. Adobe, please tell us you are addressing this!

• 13. Re: InDesign CC 2015 crashing! Any suggestions?

Actually, emptying the InDesign Recovery folder is something you must do when ID refused to launch because of corrupt recovery data, and all it would do if the data is good is prevent an auto-recovery to a more recent state than the last save. No real damage at all, other than some potential for lost time.

1 person found this helpful
                                • 14. Re: InDesign CC 2015 crashing! Any suggestions?
                                  WriterGuy92507 Level 1

Has anyone else also noticed a SIGNIFICANT SLOW DOWN for all of InDesign with this "update"? It seems it takes a full second or two for ID to respond to any keyclick, even when just entering text. GRRRRR.

• 15. Re: InDesign CC 2015 crashing! Any suggestions?
                                    SmythRob Level 1

Peter,

To clarify. It wasn't the Recovery Folder I had in mind but the "recovery file" that's created/opened next to the original InDesign file (not sure what it's called but the name is preceded by a tilde symbol; it seems to serve as a working/scratch file).

If the InDesign file is Testing.indd the "scratch" file is called something like: ~testing~hvjob6.idlk and is created when file is opened.

Sorry, I've been using InDesign for so long that I should know more about this but I've never had any need to!

• 16. Re: InDesign CC 2015 crashing! Any suggestions?

That's not a scratch file, it's the lock file that prevents another user from opening the file for editing. It cannot be deleted while the .indd file is open (or you have a serious configuration issue), and it should be removed automatically by ID when you close the file. If it remains after the file is closed it will interfere with re-opening and should be deleted.

• 17. Re: InDesign CC 2015 crashing! Any suggestions?
                                        SmythRob Level 1

Thanks, Peter, good to know.

So, it was a proliferation of lock files that remained behind when InDesign was crashing repeatedly.

I was surprised they weren't tidied away when I opened a new file so I assumed that they might have been involved in the corruption in some way.

You learn something new every day, as they say!

Thanks again...Rob

• 18. Re: InDesign CC 2015 crashing! Any suggestions?
                                          Nita Congress Level 1

Actually, I did attempt to empty the recovery folder as per Adobe instructions and -- unless I didn't delete the correct items -- it seemed to make no difference; neither did reinstalling the program. CC2015 continued opening .indd and .idml files that had previously crashed the program. It also didn't seem to make a difference answering "No" to questions about opening autorecovered files.

• 19. Re: InDesign CC 2015 crashing! Any suggestions?

Nita Congress wrote:

Actually, I did attempt to empty the recovery folder as per Adobe instructions and -- unless I didn't delete the correct items -- it seemed to make no difference; neither did reinstalling the program. CC2015 continued opening .indd and .idml files that had previously crashed the program. It also didn't seem to make a difference answering "No" to questions about opening autorecovered files.

What instructions were those?

• 21. Re: InDesign CC 2015 crashing! Any suggestions?

OK. Didn't know they actually had a help topic for that.

• 22. Re: InDesign CC 2015 crashing! Any suggestions?
                                                SmythRob Level 1

Just got this link from Adobe - they do look at crash reports!

InDesign CC 2015.1 crashes while working on text

I presume it's new information, but there's no date on the page?

I've run the script and installed the updated plugin so time will tell if it works or not!

• 23. Re: InDesign CC 2015 crashing! Any suggestions?
                                                  Pradeep Verma Adobe Employee

Hi Paul,

Please try the solution mentioned at the following page: InDesign CC 2015.1 crashes while working on text

This is specifically for the case where your InDesign CC 2015.1 Release (11.1.0.122 build) would be crashing while working with text.

Try the solutions and let us know if it works fro you.

Regards,

-Pradeep.

• 24. Re: InDesign CC 2015 crashing! Any suggestions?
                                                    ozpaul Level 1

Hullo Pradeep.

I updated to InDesign CC 2015 Release (11.1.0.122 build) earlier today and installed the new plugin.

It had been going OK until just now when I received your email, reopened the document that had been crashing earlier. I resized a text box and it crashed.

This was a file that I had saved as an IDML file from CC 2015, then uninstalled CC 2015 and opened in CC 2014 so I could meet my client’s deadline.

I have now uninstalled CC 2014 (which I had kept installed in case I needed to do this again) and reopened my file in CC 2015 with the new plugin installed and it seams to be fine.

No crashing.

So far.

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Paul George

digital graffiti

[personal info removed by moderator]

• 25. Re: InDesign CC 2015 crashing! Any suggestions?
                                                      da18691887

Hi Pradeep,

I'm experiencing a similar issue where InDesign crashes as soon as I attempt to edit a text box, but I'm using an older version of CS5 InDesign v7.0.4 with OSX 10.10.5. What would happen if I attempted the suggested fix?

Regards,

David

• 26. Re: InDesign CC 2015 crashing! Any suggestions?
                                                        Nita Congress Level 1

I have installed the plugin update; problematic documents now seem stable (no crashes so far -- and very grateful for that!), but the program seems to run slower than usual.

• 27. Re: InDesign CC 2015 crashing! Any suggestions?
                                                          RyanT

This happened recently where Ive saved a file accidently after creating outlines to the document. When reopening ID it doesnt recognize that all text frames have been converted and tried to restore text frame link or something. Inevitably crashing the program all together. Its very frustrating. Anyone else experiencing this. I dont care that ive created outlines rather that now I cant even reopen the document. Previous versions of ID never had this issue. Im sure this is answered somewhere else. But the specific issue is beyond me. I dont really know what is wrong.