3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2007 2:14 PM by tracepaul

Printing multipage output

dimival Level 1
      I just can't believe the Printing support on Flex is so lame. I need to print a screen which has a lot of information which obviously doesn't fit in one page only, it needs more than one page. I am reading the Flex Developer's Guide and it turns out that Flex only supports it if you use PrintDataGrid controls, which have nextPage() and validNextPage to handle multipage, and the screen i need to print DOESN'T HAVE a PrintDataGrid control so how am I supposed to print a screen in multiple pages if the framework doesn't provide support for other components?

So does anyone know how to print multiple pages in a decent way using Flex? or will I have to wait (again) for the new release to be ready?

By the way, i know that every displayObject that i add to the printJob will be printed in a different page, but this also is useless because i only need to print one component in multiple pages.
        • 1. Re: Printing multipage output
          Rahil Kidwai Level 1
          Did you ever figure out a solution to this problem. I am kind of having the same problem. The one solution I tried is to create a print component (a 1 x 1 print data grid) and print the grid. But the grid cell with text encompassing multiple pages just doesnot print. :)

-Rahil
          • 2. Re: Printing multipage output
            Rahil Kidwai Level 1
            Did you ever figure out a solution to this problem. I am kind of having the same problem. The one solution I tried is to create a print component (a 1 x 1 print data grid) and print the grid. But the grid cell with text encompassing multiple pages just doesnot print. :)

-Rahil
            • 3. Re: Printing multipage output
              tracepaul
              Make a print component sized to the width of print media you are outputing from your printer then make it as long as the longest data set that would be printed. Set your scaleType to none. set the visibilty property accordingly and trigger this component to print with your button or whatever handler you are using and that should take care of it. it's a rough way of doing it, but it has worked well for me on my projects.

- Trace