15 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2017 4:49 AM by lukej49975943

After Effect CS6 not working on Windows 10

AZWOODLEY Level 1

Hi~ Since I'm upgrade Windows 8 to 10, my adobe after effect CS6 not responding and keep give me error message, I've read FAQ, it said CS6 is compatible with windows 10 but then it not working at all. I wonder is there any patch or update after effect CS6 for windows 10? Thanks

• 1. Re: After Effect CS6 not working on Windows 10
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> I've read FAQ, it said CS6 is compatible with windows 10

Where do you see that?

After Effects CC 2014 (13.2) and After Effects CC 2015 (13.5) are supported on Windows 10. Earlier versions are not.

• 2. Re: After Effect CS6 not working on Windows 10
            Story Rock Media Level 1

Todd,

I see I'm responding to a pretty old message, so I hope this reply finds you. I upgraded to Windows 10 fairly recently and didn't need to use After Effects until just the other day. I'm still using CS6, so After Effects doesn't work.

I'm concerned, because I was told by someone at Adobe, at the NAB Show, when the first round of CC was introduced, that Adobe would never add new features to CS6, but they would always service it and keep it working, for those of us who want to continue using CS6. According to your post to which I'm replying, Adobe does not appear to be keeping to that.

I use CC at my day job. I use CS6 for personal projects at home and for small side jobs I do on evenings and weekends. I don't make enough money with my little side business to subscribe to CC, so I use CS6. If Adobe doesn't keep its word about maintaining CS6 for users like me, does Adobe have a non-subscription solution for users in my circumstance?

Thank you for your time,

Justin Freeman

Story Rock Media

[email address removed by moderator - you probably don't want this posted in a public forum]

• 3. Re: After Effect CS6 not working on Windows 10
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

story rock media wrote:

Todd,

I see I'm responding to a pretty old message, so I hope this reply finds you.

This is not likely to find Todd as he does not work for Adobe anymore.

story rock media wrote:

I was told by someone at Adobe, at the NAB Show, when the first round of CC was introduced, that Adobe would never add new features to CS6, but they would always service it and keep it working, for those of us who want to continue using CS6.

I heard them say something like that too. However, I understood them to mean they would provide technical support for it. I did not assume they would keep re-writing it to keep up with newer operating systems. What they were saying was that they would support the product on the operating systems for which it is supported; not that they would update it.

Now, that being said, I'm pretty sure CS6 runs on Windows 10. So, if you'll share with us what problems you are experiencing, perhaps we can help you get it running.

• 4. Re: After Effect CS6 not working on Windows 10
                Story Rock Media Level 1

Szalam,

Thank you for your response. I'll start by saying Photoshop runs fine for me on Windows 10. I don't think I've opened Premiere or Illustrator on 10 yet.

When I try to open After Effects, the splash screen comes up, but then just hangs on "Initializing MediaCore." I then open the Task Manager and see that AE is not responding, so I End Task. I've let it go quite a while before ending task as well.

I did try reinstalling AE, then installing the 11.0.2 and then 11.0.4 updates, all with no effect.

Thank you for your time and any assistance you might be able to provide,

Justin

• 5. Re: After Effect CS6 not working on Windows 10

Do you have AVG Antivirus (or any AVG security software)?

If yes, FOUND THE PROBLEM!

If not, try this.

• 6. Re: After Effect CS6 not working on Windows 10
                    Story Rock Media Level 1

I do use AVG. I will turn it off and/or uninstall is tonight and try to open AE.

Do you have any suggestions for what to use for security instead? I've actually heard that Windows 10 is pretty secure on its own.

Thank you!

Justin

• 7. Re: After Effect CS6 not working on Windows 10

Windows 10 is pretty good from what I've heard too. Plus, as long as you're smart about how to use the web, it's not really much of any issue even with nothing but a firewall.

Anyway, check out the link I gave you for what, specifically you need to shut off in AVG (or just get rid of it entirely and use what comes with Windows unless you've got kids or silly people using that machine )

• 8. Re: After Effect CS6 not working on Windows 10
                        Story Rock Media Level 1

Yeah, I replied last time before I looked at the links. Good info. Thank you. I'll try it tonight.

• 9. Re: After Effect CS6 not working on Windows 10
                          Story Rock Media Level 1

Szalam,

No luck. I followed the info you gave me for AVG. That didn't work. I uninstalled AVG. That didn't work.

Then I found the settings for the Windows 10 security software, trying to allow connections to be made to and from the following applications:

Windows:

• AfterFX.exe
                          • Adobe QT32 Server.exe
                          • dynamiclinkmanager.exe
                          • PProHeadless.exe

None of the above applications were listed, not in the ingoing or outgoing lists. So that didn't work.

I don't have Quicktime on my workstation, so that's not an issue in any way.

I did take a look at the long list of how to trouble shoot my entire system to try to get After Effects to load. I didn't try all that last night. That will be a long process.

In the meantime, do you have any more specific recommendations to try first?

Thanks,

Justin

• 10. Re: After Effect CS6 not working on Windows 10
                            Alan Craven Level 4

Just to say that After Effects CS6 CAN work perfectly on Windows 10 Pro.

I have used AE CS6 on a 2011 built system which was originally Windows 7 and upgraded to Windows 10.  I now use it on an X99 system with a clean install of Windows 10 pro.

I use Norton internet security. by the way.

"Not supported" does not mean "does not work" and Adobe should recognize that fact.

I also use Photoshop, Premiere, Audition and Encore on Windows 10 with no problems.  in fact, subjectively, they all run better on the new OS than on the old one.

• 11. Re: After Effect CS6 not working on Windows 10

I don't have anything else specific to suggest other than the links I gave. If you go through the list of things and it's still not working, let us know and we can have another think at it.

• 12. Re: After Effect CS6 not working on Windows 10
                                Story Rock Media Level 1

Szalam,

I found the solution for my situation.

I tried opening both Premiere and Encore CS6, since I hadn't done so since installing Windows 10. Neither would open. They both hung on "Loading Exporter AVI." That rang a bell for me. I'd had the same problem with Premiere CC at work when I installed Windows 10, but I'd forgotten. So I did a search for that problem and came across a Creative Cow Forum entry that mentioned Matrox Utilities and Codecs. That reminded me that I'd had to remove the old Utils from my work system and install a newer one, one for Windows 10.

I don't have the Matrox Utils on my home workstation, but I did have a Matrox Codec, so I removed it and bingo, now all three programs open again.

But remember how we all uninstalled Quicktime a little while ago? After Effects CS6 doesn't like that and crashed twice trying to bring in a psd file. Wish me luck with that one!

Justin

1 person found this helpful
                                • 13. Re: After Effect CS6 not working on Windows 10

Story Rock Media wrote:

I don't have the Matrox Utils on my home workstation, but I did have a Matrox Codec, so I removed it and bingo, now all three programs open again.

Thanks for sharing what worked! I haven't seen issues on the forums with Matrox stuff in a while, so I didn't think to mention it either. I'm glad you've got it running.

Story Rock Media wrote:

But remember how we all uninstalled Quicktime a little while ago? After Effects CS6 doesn't like that and crashed twice trying to bring in a psd file. Wish me luck with that one!

I didn't uninstall QuickTime. I just uninstalled the vulnerable components. If you go into the options during install and only install the essential components (that is to say, don't install the web player, etc.), you can install QuickTime without putting yourself in danger. Besides, if you don't use your production machine to surf odd parts of the web, it's unlikely to be a problem even with the full install.

• 14. Re: After Effect CS6 not working on Windows 10
                                    Story Rock Media Level 1

Thanks for the specifics about the Quicktime installation and for all your help.

Justin

• 15. Re: After Effect CS6 not working on Windows 10
                                      lukej49975943 Level 1

Hi,

I just wanted to say thank you very much. I couldn't figure out why my after effects cc 2017 wouldn't open on windows 10. Got stuck on Initializing media core. I discovered I did have the matrox video codec installed when I was using Dxtory. Uninstalled that and restarted and after effects finally opens. Thanks.