5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2015 10:44 AM by A.T. Romano

"How To" Question: Burning Multiple PE Projects Onto a Single Disc (DVD or Blu-Ray)

HOTELECHOMIKE Level 1

Another "How To" - or rather "How Best To" question (I have done some searching but without luck - or am asking the wrong question).

I have a WIN7 PC with a DVD burner (and a Blu-Ray burner will be added).

I have a number of completed Projects (PE 13.1)  which I would like to burn to a single DVD in order to send to an elderly relative.

They will fit onto a single DVD.

Prior to my HD usage we had a Sony PC 100E digital Camcorder and processed the .AVI files via Pinnacle 10 resulting in .MPG files.

We would then use a software "TMPGEnc" to create a disc menu for several .MPG files and burn these to a DVD (this was under WIN-XP).

With the advent of HD we switched to PE 13.1 (on a WIN7 PC) and no longer have a working "TMPGEnc".

I see from a tutorial how to create a disc menu & burn to DVD from within PE 13 but as far as I can see only for a single project.

What is the suggested best way (prefferably Freeware) to be able to burn multiple PE projects to a single disc?  We are in the PAL area.

1) What are the suggested Publish+Share options to use when exporting an intermediate video file?

- One of the videos is created with the old Sony Camcorder (Type: AVI Movie; Image Size: 720 x 576)

- The more recent videos are from a Panasonic HD Camcorder (Type: MPEG Movie; Image SIze 1920 x 1080) recorded in PAL mode.

2) I am unsure if the TV on which the videos will be viewed is 4:3 or 16:9, I sort of suspect the former.

Our own TV has 16:9

ImgBurn is also installed on our system.

All suggestions gratefully received.

HEM

• 1. Re: "How To" Question: Burning Multiple PE Projects Onto a Single Disc (DVD or Blu-Ray)
          A.T. Romano Level 7

HEM

Decision time comes when you need to decide direction 4:3 or 16:9 and whether or not black borders are to be accepted in the end product. Also, important - are any of these TV DVD players going to be exclusively for 4:3 viewing or will they allow for settings changes.

General Idea...if more 16:9 files than 4:3 ones

1. Download and install a free Lagarith video codec. It will then be available to you under the Advanced Button of Publish+Share/Computer/AVI with Presets = DV PAL Widescreen or DV PAL Standard.

2. Then Export your 1920 x 1080 16:9 Timeline content to Lagarith.avi files  to be brought into one new PAL DV Widescreen project whose contents will be burned to disc.

3. Keep the import and export settings consistent along the way.

More details if necessary....are your 1920 x 1080 files interlaced or progressive? For the 4:3 video projects - export to DV PAL Standard. After taken into new project with all the 16:9 Lagarith.avi, leave as is or scale to fill the 16:9 space in the Edit area monitor. Scale will in effect be a zoom in for the fit.

Please consider to determine if any of the above works for you. Other thoughts to follow.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: "How To" Question: Burning Multiple PE Projects Onto a Single Disc (DVD or Blu-Ray)
            HOTELECHOMIKE Level 1

One difficulty is that I don't know what TV is available at the "other end" as that is in the UK & I'm about 1000 kms away.

I assume we should just create a DVD in format similar to those commercially available...

Concerning (1) above I went to Publish+Share/Computer but could not find "AVI".

I did select "Preset=PAL DVD Standard" & pressed the Advanced button but didn't see anything about downloading.

The question about the HD files being interlaced or progressive - how do I see that?

The Projects were all created by fist adding video clips to the timeline and subsequently adding one or more JPGs including moving

some to the beginning with a rolling title superimposed.  Looks OK in the PE Editor.

• 3. Re: "How To" Question: Burning Multiple PE Projects Onto a Single Disc (DVD or Blu-Ray)
              A.T. Romano Level 7

HEM

Premiere Elements 13/13.1 on Windows 7 64 bit....

Publish+Share

Computer

under Computer are many choices. Some you cannot see until you use the thin scroll bar to the right of the choices.

So for AVI

HEM.jpg

The commerically available DVD-VIDEO movies come in 4:3 or 16:9 versions. I would explore the 4:3 workflow for this.

Do your viewers have computers? If so, they should be able to playback DVD-VIDEO on DVD on computer with a free player such as VLC

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

Full video and audio properties readouts can be gotten from a free program such as Media Info. But, just be careful in your choices for downloading and installing of it. It is noted for coming with unwanted baggage programs. Do you have information on camera settings when the videos were recorded?

Under the Advanced Button of the export preset, note that there are settings for Field Order as well as video codec and others.

Please let me know what supplemental information you want to consider.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: "How To" Question: Burning Multiple PE Projects Onto a Single Disc (DVD or Blu-Ray)
                HOTELECHOMIKE Level 1

You were right - I'd overlooked that very thin scroll bar & can now select AVI.

In the Export Settings I can now see where to select DV PAL Standard & DV PAL.

But I didn't see anywhere where it would download something.

Do your viewers have computers?

Not in this particular case (my aunt is almost 93).  She said if I send her a DVD she would get a neighbour in the retirement village to play it.

Do you have information on camera settings when the videos were recorded?

Does 1080/50p help? 

• 5. Re: "How To" Question: Burning Multiple PE Projects Onto a Single Disc (DVD or Blu-Ray)
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

HEM

I do not recall the web site from which I downloaded the Lagarith codec. But, you do have to download from an independent online source, not from within Premiere Elements. The following might have been the download using "Lagarith Codec (v 1.3.27) "A manual installation version"

Lagarith Lossless Video Codec

After installation, this codec should appear in the list of possible AVI video codecs under Advanced Button/Video Tab.

If you are starting with a 1080p50 source, then the project preset should match. So, that calls for 16:9 project (PAL AVCHD AVCHD 1080p50). You do not want to be exporting 16:9 project to 4:3. So for your corresponding Lagarith.avi for the individual 16:9 projects....

HEMlatest.JPG

The next closer focus point is when you go to set up the new project that is going to be the project where the burn to will occur for all those files.

Please let me know how the above works out to the point where I have taken it.

Thanks.

ATR