13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2015 9:21 AM by Jao vdL

Lightroom/Photoshop color loss

ML.Photo

So for the longest time I only use Lightroom. I use Flickr to upload my pictures and everything worked great. Then I started to use Photoshop. I would right click on my picture and say "Edit in Photoshop" then finish up save it, upload it to Flickr and all my color vibrance and saturation was washed out. I looked terrible and bland. I found it out it was because I was exporting in ProPhoto RGB which Flickr did not support.

So I changed it so sRGB and its been great ever since.

Now.. I havent changed any settings, and not when I finish wit a photo in lightroom, whether I export it straight to my desktop, or edit in Photoshop, its washed out again. For testing purposes I completely turn up vibrance and saturation on a photo, export it and it looks like even more washed out then it did originally off the camera.

All my photo color setting sRGB on photoshop and Lightroom.

Someone please help!

• 1. Re: Lightroom/Photoshop color loss
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What color profile does the JPG have after saving it?

Does the photo look exactly like it does if you used ProPhotoRGB as the profile, the issue you had before, or somewhat different?

• 2. Re: Lightroom/Photoshop color loss
            ML.Photo Level 1

It looks very similar yes.

After saying Edit in Photoshop, then saving it to my desktop. The info says the color profile is sRGB. Its almost like instead of exporting my edited version from lighroom, its exporting the normal picture.

If I change the export settings in Lightroom to use ProPhoto RGB, then when I export it to Photoshop it looks vibrant again.

But like I said I've been using sRGB for months now and its never done this.

• 3. Re: Lightroom/Photoshop color loss
              ML.Photo Level 1

Sorry, by saying it looks very similar i mean it looms similar to the issue i previously had. It does not look similar to my results if I use ProPhoto RGB. The ProPhoto RGB looks much more vibrant in Photoshop.

Leaving it as ProPhoto RGB doesn't work as a solution because then I lose the vibrance when i put them on Flickr.

Im just not sure what changed. I haven't changed anything for months and its all been fine until today.

• 4. Re: Lightroom/Photoshop color loss
                ML.Photo Level 1

Screen Shot 2015-08-15 at 2.26.57 PM.png

First is screen shot in Lightroom

Screen Shot 2015-08-15 at 2.27.07 PM.png

Second is screenshot in Photoshop. If I export right from Lightroom and skip the Photoshop edit it still looks like this.

This is with sRGB on both programs

• 5. Re: Lightroom/Photoshop color loss
                  Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

After saying Edit in Photoshop, then saving it to my desktop. The info says the color profile is sRGB. Its almost like instead of exporting my edited version from lighroom, its exporting the normal picture

You're making it too hard on yourself doing it this way. You should export from Lightroom to an sRGB jpeg. Keep the Photoshop edit setting on 16-bit prophotoRGB as that retains the highest quality in every case. If you need to export from photoshop for some reason, simply convert to sRGB in that program and to 8-bits and then export to jpeg. For your immediate problem, what you should try is doing a soft proof to sRGB in Lightroom Develop and see if the same color shift occurs. In that case, what you are probably seeing is the result of a wide gamut display. sRGB cannot contain all the colors in your flower and will desaturate a bit. If you don't see a color change, your display's color profile is probably off and you should recalibrate your display. That there is a difference between Lightroom and Photoshop is typical for a bad display profile. They should be identical.

• 6. Re: Lightroom/Photoshop color loss

Leaving it as ProPhoto RGB doesn't work as a solution because then I lose the vibrance when i put them on Flickr.

What browser are you using? The screenshots appear to come from a Mac. Flickr should respect color profiles and so even when you upload prophotoRGB jpegs, they should look just fine in almost every Mac browser as they are all color managed nowadays. You are not stripping the color profile I hope when you export from Photoshop? You should leave the "embed color profile" option checked EVEN if your image is in sRGB!

• 7. Re: Lightroom/Photoshop color loss
                      ML.Photo Level 1

The reason I do it this was is because I load the photo in Lightroom, then I do the noise reduction, sharpening, color adjusting, all of that. Then I load it in photoshop to add my watermark and remove any little unwanted things (Dirt on cars or distracting things). Its always worked well for me this way. I need to export from photoshop because thats where I do all my final touch ups and watermark.

The screen shots are on Mac by pressing Press Command (⌘)-Shift-4 and then selecting the image while its in lightroom and photoshop.

Now i'm not to familiar with the settings in these programs. So if I could screenshot my settings and send that...

I don't think I've changed anything to do with the color embedding

• 8. Re: Lightroom/Photoshop color loss
                        ML.Photo Level 1

After doing some more research I've finally found someone who is having the same issue but he seems to only have it on yellows.. Which is funny because I never noticed this issue until I went to edit this yellow flower. So maybe its just something I need to deal with.

Like I said putting it on ProPhoto RGB does fix the issue but then once I place it on Flickr its absolutely terrible due to flickr not supporting ProPhoto RGB.

So anyways thanks for the help guys but I think I'll just have to deal with it.

Still open to suggestions tho.

Thanks

• 9. Re: Lightroom/Photoshop color loss
                          trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The widest gamut monitors currently available can display no better than Adobe RGB gamut. Try using Adobe RGB colorspace in the LR JPEG Export. Keep in mind anyone using a non-color managed browser will see some pretty bad looking pictures on your Flickr page. Also keep in mind most users only have standard gamut displays and will see the images in no better than sRGB colorspace.

https://www.flickr.com/groups/adobergb/

IMHO your best choice is do a LR Soft Proof with sRGB gamut and use the LR HSL sliders to correct the Yellow in the flower as best possible in the sRGB soft proof.

• 10. Re: Lightroom/Photoshop color loss
                            ML.Photo Level 1

I think all of this soft proofing still is over my head unfortunately. Im not to sure what all that means. But correct me if I am wrong but if I'm seeing the nice yellow in lightroom, but then not in photoshop, well what does that have to do with my display? I just saw it in lightroom on my laptop display and now I cant see it in photoshop, on the exact same display.

• 11. Re: Lightroom/Photoshop color loss

>I just saw it in lightroom on my laptop display and now I cant see it in photoshop, on the exact same display.

This is typically caused by a corrupt monitor profile. This is common on windows machines that have never been calibrated. What will happen is that Photoshop simply ignores the profile and assumes your display is sRGB gamut, while Lightroom will actually attempt to use it and give you different color. On a correctly calibrated system and using default settings in Lightroom and Photoshop, you will NOT see any difference between the two.

• 12. Re: Lightroom/Photoshop color loss
                                ML.Photo Level 1

Ahhh ok so how do I calibrate my display I'm on a Macbook Pro. I go into display and color and i can change it so its sRGB, and then I see the yellows to be equal in Lightroom and Photoshop, but not my screen has a very blue tint on everything. Which im sure I wont notice if I let it sit, But now Im worried that will mess with how I change my color settings on pictures because It will always have a cooler tone to it on my display. I want the display to be the exact same as previous but with more intense yellows Lol.

• 13. Re: Lightroom/Photoshop color loss
                                  trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Jao vdL wrote:

On a correctly calibrated system and using default settings in Lightroom and Photoshop, you will NOT see any difference between the two.

You will not see any difference if you are looking at the same sRGB Export JPEG file in both applications. If you're looking at the edited raw file in LR and the JPEG export file in PS they may look different because the yellow in the flower falls outside the sRGB gamut. See my suggestions in reply #9 for correcting the soft proof image.

There's still a possibility your monitor profile is causing this issue. I only see a small difference in color between the two images on my calibrated wide gamut monitor. The best solution is use a good monitor calibrator and set its software to make a ICC Version 2, Matrix profile. Without a proper calibration the image you see on screen could be far from the "accurate color" you are trying to accomplish.

• 14. Re: Lightroom/Photoshop color loss

ML,

if this is a MacBookPro, the built in profile should not have these issues

and you shouldn't try to change it to sRGB. It is still highly advisable to

calibrate with an actual display calibration tool but the built-in profiles

on these systems are reasonably good in general. I should have read back in

the thread I see now as I didn't see the context of your question and

didn't remember the thread. If you are exporting to sRGB, it is probably

simply a gamut issue in the sRGB space as trshaner said. This is surprising

that it shows up on a MacBookPro screen as they are not usually wider than

sRGB. If this is the issue than using prophotoRGB or adobeRGB should not

show the color change and indeed you should see the color difference when

you soft proof for sRGB inside Lightroom. Another issue to consider is the

background you are comparing to as that can have a major influence on color

perception.