10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2015 5:08 PM by RoninEdits

Intel new 6th gen. i7-6700K

Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

This is the first time I have seen an Intel processor with a base frequency of 4.0 GHz!  Now while it is fast it is handicapped by only 32 GB of RAM and only 16 PCIe lanes.  It is a full Quad core with 8 threads.  The price is a nominal ~$350.  Of course you will need a new motherboard and possible new memory

• 1. Re: Intel new 6th gen. i7-6700K
          RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

the popular i7-4790k has higher clocks 4.0 base/4.4 turbo, but this new i7-6700k in early benchmarks is performing faster, in some cases closer to the 6 core i7-5820k. buying new with ddr4, it might save $150+ over the 5820k between motherboard and cpu. for upgrades, asus has a mbd out that supports ddr3, making it a good mbd/cpu upgrade for those that want to save money and re-use their old ddr3 memory. the 6700k also has intel hd graphics where as haswell-e does not, which is great for quick sync programs, but unfortunately premiere does not support it.

• 2. Re: Intel new 6th gen. i7-6700K
            Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

Here is a good review of the Skylake and the z170 chipset on an MSI board.

Ronin thanks for your update.

• 3. Re: Intel new 6th gen. i7-6700K
              Indio22

My understanding is some Skylake motherboards (typically lower end boards) might support DDR3, but a variety called DDR3L.  The DDR3L has a lower voltage at 1.35v, compared to most prior DDR3 rated at 1.5V which is not supported.  That kind of defeats the purpose of supporting DDR3, since many people would have to buy DDR3L variety, not being able to use their current DDR3 modules.  But if I am wrong that would be great - as I have a lot of DDR3 (1.5v) from various deals which is not compatible with Skylake.  Would be cool if there was a way to use Skylake with 1.5v DDR3.  Otherwise I plan to ride out Haswell i7 for a few years with my current DDR3, because I am not investing now in DDR4 (or DDR3L).

• 4. Re: Intel new 6th gen. i7-6700K

intel's website for the skylake cpu say ddr3L/ddr4 and most motherboards seem to be ddr4. the ASUS Z170-P D3 motherboard says it supports ddr3 and ddr3L. its compatibility list has memory from 1.35v up to 1.65v. i would hope thats the norm, that these ddr3 skylake motherboards support a large range of memory.

depending which haswell chip you have, it probably wont be worth the cost to upgrade mbd & cpu for a small performance boost.

• 5. Re: Intel new 6th gen. i7-6700K
                  Indio22 Level 1

Thanks for the info - I am surprise to see that board (along with another mATX version) showing as accepting DDR3/DDR3L.  All the articles I had read before the launch were fairly clear about standard DDR3 not being an option on the desktop platform - DDR3 was supposed to be an option mainly on portable devices and with lower voltages - everyone else was going to have to buy DDR4 for the desktop.  Will be interesting to see how many desktop boards end up offering DDR3 support.

• 6. Re: Intel new 6th gen. i7-6700K
                    ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

We are still waiting on the CPU and Z170 board to arrive. I would not even bother to upgrade to this unless you get boards for DDR4. Intel moved this launch up by months eliminating the Broadwell release. I suspect that was due to split Ram chip production between DDR4 and DDR3. I wouldn't expect DDR3 to remain in production to long after Skylake is out in numbers.

Eric

ADK

• 7. Re: Intel new 6th gen. i7-6700K

i did catch an article from anandtech that compares skylake ddr3 vs ddr4 and found it interesting that there was little difference in performance, until the integrated intel graphics was used in the benchmark. for folks with tight budgets, with older and/or lower powered cpu and with plenty of ddr3 memory, it suggests the i7-6700k + ddr3 motherboard upgrade is a valid option.

Skylake i7-6700K DRAM Testing: DDR4 vs DDR3L on the CPU - The Intel 6th Gen Skylake Review: Core i7-6700K and i5-6600K T…

Skylake i7-6700K DRAM Testing: DDR4 vs DDR3L on Gaming - The Intel 6th Gen Skylake Review: Core i7-6700K and i5-6600K Te…

• 8. Re: Intel new 6th gen. i7-6700K

Look at the benchmarks used. Those would not give accurate performance comparisons for GPU acceleration applications when ram usage and bandwidth is much higher. The benchmarks that use the Intel graphics would be closer to GPU acceleration benchmarks. There is a reason X99 can playback 4K at full resolution preview while X79 cant. The reason is DDR4.

Eric

ADK

• 9. Re: Intel new 6th gen. i7-6700K

the intel graphics benchmark may be tainted as its using the system memory as vram, but it does show there is a definite difference in speed/bandwidth, as you suggest. the question may be, will a 4 core skylake cpu even be fast enough for 4k? if not, then the kinds of projects that would work on the skylake cpu probably wouldn't matter for ddr3 vs ddr4. if that cpu can handle some 4k, then according to what you are saying, that leaves skylake ddr3 limited to edit HD/2k projects.

• 10. Re: Intel new 6th gen. i7-6700K

Yes the 6700K with the base clock at 4Ghz likely means that CPU can clock upwards of 5Ghz or higher. I wont know till we get one. Either way once you can clock to 4.5Ghz+ with the extra bandwidth of DDR4 then yes 4K would be very viable. Even without clocking to 4.5Ghz 4K would be viable. You just may have to preview in lower resolution ie 1/2 or 1/4. The editor will also have tor ender the timeline more at 4K to playback. Many of those workflow changes are ok for some and not so for others.

Eric

ADK

• 11. Re: Intel new 6th gen. i7-6700K

if dropping playback resolution to 1/2 or 1/4, wouldn't that reduce the demand on memory and gpu, removing the need for ddr4 performance? i think anyone buying/building a system for 4k editing, would be better off spending a little more on haswell-e. if they can't afford haswell-e, they might not be able to afford the i7-6700k ddr4.

skylake is suppose to overclock better than haswell and broadwell. if i remember right, the reports are expecting around 4.6 ghz for average stable overclock on the i7-6700k.