7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2016 8:49 AM by BGhibby

Lightroom mobile & camera profile

littlegem4921 Level 1

I change my camera profile on import so photos are set to 'camera natural'. I then sync my photos with lightroom mobile so I can work on them from my iPad.

When the images are synced back from Lightroom mobile to my desktop computer, the profile has changed back to Adobe Standard!  Is there a way of stopping this happening, please?  I can't figure out why it's doing it but I want the profile to remain as I have set it at import.

Thanks for any help.

• 1. Re: Lightroom mobile & camera profile
          littlegem4921 Level 1

I've experimented and it seems to retain the camera profile only if it's changed after import, not on import.  Is this a bug?  Being able to change develop settings on import is very useful, but not if the changes are overridden by lightroom mobile.

• 2. Re: Lightroom mobile & camera profile
            Dustin Kerstein Level 1

I can replicate this issue when changing the profile after import.

This renders LR Mobile edits useless for my workflow, and potentially damages photos without any clear indication or way to find which photos may have been reverted back to the Adobe Standard profile.

This is a bug to me, but I imagine it may be more of a design limitation. If LR Mobile only supports Adobe Standard, then it needs to prevent edits to photos that aren't using it.

-Dustin

• 3. Re: Lightroom mobile & camera profile
              Dustin Kerstein Level 1

Bump. Can other folks replicate this?

• 4. Re: Lightroom mobile & camera profile
                trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Dustin Kerstein wrote:

I can replicate this issue when changing the profile after import.

This renders LR Mobile edits useless for my workflow, and potentially damages photos without any clear indication or way to find which photos may have been reverted back to the Adobe Standard profile.

What profile are you changing to on import? Does the selected camera profile also appear in LR Mobile. LR images will revert to Adobe Standard if the camera profile used on the last edit is not available (i.e. deleted or missing). Is it a camera profile you manually installed in the User folder?

• 5. Re: Lightroom mobile & camera profile
                  Rikk-Flohr Adobe Community Professional

This has been reported to Adobe.

It is not a bug per se but rather a design limitation. A request has been submitted to Adobe to allow the upload and use of custom profiles by Lightroom mobile.

• 6. Re: Lightroom mobile & camera profile
                    Dustin Kerstein Level 1

Interesting. I'm not sure it's as simple as Lightroom Mobile not being aware of the custom profile as I have done a little bit more testing with a custom (non Adobe supplied) camera profile and I am seeing some strange results. I've gone back and forth with edits and profile switches on Desktop and basic edits / reset to import on LR Mobile, and sometimes LR Mobile reverts the photo to a previously selected custom profile (but not the camera model default profile). Sometimes it reverts to Adobe Standard. And other times it leaves the correct custom profile selected. Strange...

I'll try to isolate the behavior a little bit but it's seemingly been a bit fluky. I feel there may be some interaction with setting the default Develop settings for the camera model (holding Alt and saying "set as default").

Do you happen to have a link to the Adobe bug report?

Thanks,

Dustin

• 7. Re: Lightroom mobile & camera profile
                      BGhibby Level 1

I think the issue is due to the alpha-numeric sorting of camera profiles. Adobe Standard appears first due to the folder structure within the LR program directory.  If you create a profile you wish to use with LR mobile simply export it from DNG profile editor with the name set to "01 Profile xxx".  This forces it to take the number one spot in the drop down list on the calibration tab.  When LR creates the smart previews it simply embeds the first profile in the list, this is then the profile used by LR mobile.  Works for me and now all mobile edits at least take my preferred base profile rather than jumping back to Adobe Standard which is way off the mark for colour accuracy.

Hope this helps.

Ben

1 person found this helpful