15 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2015 4:38 PM by nathanaeldgw

Premiere Eliments 13 running really slowley on Windows 10?

nathanaeldgw

I've downloaded Windows 10 and Premiere Eliments (13) is running really slowly, the playback when editing is stupidly slow, so much so that I can't really edit in it. I contacted Microsoft and they said that there are no problems with my computer, its that Premier isnt designed to run on it now. Any ideas?   Thanks.

• 1. Re: Premiere Eliments 13 running really slowley on Windows 10?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You don't say what operating system you're coming from or if that old operating system was 16-bit or 32-bit or what your hardware specs are -- but all of those are at least if not more of a factor than merely Windows 10.

Also go to Settings/Updates to ensure you have the latest updates for Windows 10. There's been a number of updates released since the upgrade came out and, when they're not yet installed, they can bog down your system.

That said, have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling Premiere Elements and then checking for updates? Always a good idea when you change operating systems.

Premiere Elements 13, with all updates, is indeed designed to run on Windows 10.

• 2. Re: Premiere Eliments 13 running really slowley on Windows 10?
            nathanaeldgw Level 1

Hi Steve, I was running Windows 7 Home Premium, 32-bit. I don't know what the hardware specs are but they use to be enough for Premiere Elements when I had Windows 7. I am up to date with Windows and Premiere Elements. Something that I didn't mention because I didn't think it important is that I am running the program from an external hard drive.

I had this message when I tried to open the program a minuet a go:

Adobe Premiere Eliments.exe –System Error

The Program can’t start because mc_enc_dv.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.

I can accesses the program by opening a file and doing it that way though. I am a little worried about uninstalling it, would I have to pay for it again?

• 3. Re: Premiere Eliments 13 running really slowley on Windows 10?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

nathanaeldgw

Supplemental information to the questions answers as you wait to resume ....

If you replaced Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit with Windows 10, then you should have Windows 10 Home 32 bit. If Premiere Elements was installed prior to the upgrade to Windows 10, you should not have to uninstall reinstall Premiere Elements after the upgrade to Windows 10. But......

You wrote

Something that I didn't mention because I didn't think it important is that I am running the program from an external hard drive..

What does that mean?

a. When did you install Premiere Elements 13 to this "external hard drive", before or after the upgrade to Windows 10?

There are known problems when you install Premiere Elements program to some place other than the default Local Disk C on any Windows computer operating system.

or did you mean instead...

b. You have your project files (prel) and scratch disks pointed to an external hard drive, but the program was installed to Local Disk C? How much free hard drive space is there for the Local Disk C? How much installed RAM?

If "a", I also would encourage you to uninstall reinstall Premiere Elements 13 on your Windows 10 Home 32 bit, but to the Local Disc C to gauge program performance. If you have a purchased serial number, you can always get new installation files using the following link

Other downloads

And, you can still point the project files (prel) and scratch disks to the external hard drive.

Only after you establish that Premiere Elements 13 is now working for you, then consider updating 13 to 13.1 using an opened project's Help Menu/Updates.

Just some thoughts that should blend in with others in your thread.

ATR

• 4. Re: Premiere Eliments 13 running really slowley on Windows 10?
                nathanaeldgw Level 1

Hi ATR, Thank you for your thoughts. Yes it is Windows 10 32-bit, and I installed Premier Elements onto my external hard drive before the Windows 10 upgrade.

I installed Premiere Elements on my hard drive after checking with Adobe via Live Chat that it was ok to do so. The files that I am using and all my project files are also oh the external hard drive.

I could have the program on Local Disk C instead but I wanted it to be portable as I have a desktop PC, having it on an external hard drive gives me the option to use it elsewhere.

Thank you for your time :-)

Nathanaeldgw

• 5. Re: Premiere Eliments 13 running really slowley on Windows 10?

Well, Nathaniel, it looks like ATR has entered the conversation and is taking it in a whole other direction.

To avoid crosstalk and confusion, I'll step back and let you decide if you want to follow my train of thought or ATR's.

There's nothing more confusing than two conversations going on in the same thread.

• 6. Re: Premiere Eliments 13 running really slowley on Windows 10?
                    nathanaeldgw Level 1

Hi Steve, I am interested in what you both have to say. What is the next part of your train of thought?

• 7. Re: Premiere Eliments 13 running really slowley on Windows 10?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

SG

To the contrary, what I have posted supplements what you have written and is not taking it in another direction. That is clearly pointed out. Did you miss the part

Just some thoughts that should blend in with others in your thread.

Your last suggestion to nathanaeldgw before I posted was the uninstall/reinstall, and I encouraged that but with the consideration of the location of the install when you had not yet responded in several hours to those details. I was concerned that nathaneldgw might go through the uninstall reinstall to the external hard drive before you could get back to the thread to comment on the liabilities of doing that - which you classical do.

If you have run out of troubleshooting contributions to this thread, that is one thing. But, clearly nathaneldgw has asked for your opinion also. There are no two or more conversations going on in this thread. Rather blended/integrated information to give nathaneldgw the best possible help from the community.

I have no more to say for now since nathaneldgw has asked specifically for your train of thought also.

I will watch for your decision and your train of thought. Mine would install the program to the Local Disk C which is clearly not wanted although it may be the answer due to certain parts of the program installing to default locations no matter where you would prefer to have them go complicated by the upgrade in operating systems.

That sounds like we are on the same track and train.

ATR

• 8. Re: Premiere Eliments 13 running really slowley on Windows 10?
                        nathanaeldgw Level 1

hi ATR, what is the next piece of track for your train?

• 9. Re: Premiere Eliments 13 running really slowley on Windows 10?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

nathanaeldgw

In response to your post 8.....

1. Assure that you have gone through the usual drills...

a. pile ups of preview files, conformed audio files, and conformed video files are cleared; defragmented hard drive; scratch disks pointed to hard drive locations with enough free hard drive space to accept them; video card/graphics card driver version up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card....).

b. if you have not updated from 13 to 13.1, please do that using an opened project's Help Menu/Updates.

c. assure that the problem is not related to the size and complexity of your Timeline content in a 32 bit operating system with Premiere Elements 13/13.1 as a 32 bit application.

d. create some new projects to rule in or out project specific problem.

If no improvement as a result of those assurances, then.....

2. My major focus at this time would be as I wrote in post 8

Mine would install the program to the Local Disk C which is clearly not wanted although it may be the answer due to certain parts of the program installing to default locations no matter where you would prefer to have them go complicated by the upgrade in operating systems.

and it is to rule in or out the factor of your program being installed to that external hard drive. Consequently, my next step

1. Uninstall the program the usual Control Panel way.

2. Do a free ccleaner run through (regular cleaner and registry cleaner parts) CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

3. Reinstall Premiere Elements to the default Local Disk C with antivirus and firewalls disabled. Do not install the 13.1 update until you have determined that 13 is working in every way.

Depending on the results, then we can decide what next.

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: Premiere Eliments 13 running really slowley on Windows 10?

Still, it would be nice if once in a while one of the other guests could finish a conversation without your stepping in, ATR. It's not necessary for you to put your mark on every thread.

• 11. Re: Premiere Eliments 13 running really slowley on Windows 10?
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

SG

Memo

I enter a thread when I believe that I can make a significant contribution to the solution that the user seeks, it is not a marking of a thread.

ATR

• 12. Re: Premiere Eliments 13 running really slowley on Windows 10?

All contributions are welcome on this forum. However, we don't want things to get too personal either.

Thanks to everyone for keeping this a civil forum in which everyone can participate.

• 13. Re: Premiere Eliments 13 running really slowley on Windows 10?
                                  nathanaeldgw Level 1

hello, just thought that you'd both like to know that I've got the problem ironed out, I contacted Adobe via Live Chat this afternoon. Thank you for your time :-)

• 14. Re: Premiere Eliments 13 running really slowley on Windows 10?
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

nathanaeldgw

Wonderful news. Thank you for the update.

If your schedule permits, could you let us know the Adobe Chat essentials for getting your Premiere Elements 13/13.1 on Windows 10 to run at a higher performance level? Did it do remote control troubleshooting for Premiere Elements 13/13.1 in your computer environment?

Sharing of what worked for you would be a major contribution to those who find themselves facing the same type of situation that you faced. And, at this time Premiere Elements (any version) on Windows 10 is a "hot" topic.

If your time does not permit further follow up, we understand.

Whatever the case, best wishes with your Premiere Elements projects.

ATR

• 15. Re: Premiere Eliments 13 running really slowley on Windows 10?
                                      nathanaeldgw Level 1

Hi ATR,

Yes it is good. He did take control of my PC. The support assistant decided to connect me to an expert, but I'm afraid that I just let him get on with it really and didn't note exactly what he was doing, he did update it to 13.1 though.

Thank you both, and God bless.

Nathanael.