6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2006 12:54 PM by ntsiii

Enabling trace()

danleeAS Level 1
      I'm sure this is a FAQ, but I couldn't find anything when I searched. I am trying to enable the trace() method. I googled for this answer and found out I had to create a file called mm.cfg in C:\Documents and Settings\[user]\. I put the following in the file:
      TraceOutPutFileName=D:/dltemp/flashlog.txt
      ErrorReportingEnable=1
      TraceOutputFileEnable=1

However, my flashlog.txt file never gets updated. What did I miss here?

Thanks
        • 2. Re: Enabling trace()
          danleeAS Level 1
          Hi Christophe, thank you for replying.

I believe that I am using the Debug player, I downloaded the "Windows Flash Player 9 Projector content debugger " .exe from the link that you provided.

I am wondering if I have some sort of registry conflict. I noticed that the instructions tell me to uninstall any other version of the Player that I have installed. My Control Panel tells me that I have Flash Player Version 8 installed, but when I try to uninstall, nothing happens. Perhaps I need to thorough cleansing to get rid of the Version 8 player?
          • 3. Re: Enabling trace()
            danleeAS Level 1
            Hmm.. I just noticed your link to " Troubleshooting tips for flashlog.txt not being generated".

I have everything configured like it says except for the production-mode element. When I try to put this element in the flex-config, I get the following error:
            D:\dltemp\Flex2SDK\frameworks\flex-config.xml(5): Error: unknown configuration variable 'compiler.production-mode'.

Have I put the element in the wrong place? Sorry for these newbie questions, once I get debug tracing working I won't need to ask any more questions. With all the wealth of debugging information, I shall be the greatest ActionScript developer of all time
            • 4. Re: Enabling trace()
              buabco Level 1
              HI!,

I think I know where your problem is, and you don't need to do any configuration. Just make sure you are doing this:

1rs make sure you used the -debug parameter in mxmlc Ex: c:\mxmlc -debug [myfile.as]

2nd don't call the flash player directly, you should use fdb, fdb is the actual output program for trace, break points and other debuging stuff (fdb = flash debugger) so you need to use it, the correct way of using it si:

c:\fdb
              >fil [your file.swf]
              >r
              >c

the R command should activate your SWF then FDB will ask you if you want to add some breakpoints, you can read the manual (h command) to see how its done and the the C command will call flash player with your movie and the trace events will appear in the fdb window.

Both programs are part of the FLEX FRAMEWORK PACKAGE.
              • 5. Re: Enabling trace()
                danleeAS Level 1
                Hi buabco

Thank you! Your pointer to using fdb did indeed allow me to see my trace statements.

I'm still stumped as to why the flashLog.txt method wasn't working. But the debugger method suits me just fine. This will give me some exposure to the debugger as well, which is good.

I guess I should just pony up the 500 bucks and buy Flex, but look how much I am learning

Thanks again!
                • 6. Re: Enabling trace()
                  ntsiii Level 3
                  Also, you can't successfully uninstall the FlashPlayer using the control panel. You need to use the Adobe uninstall program.

Here is a link to an Adobe page that tells you your Player version and has links to uninstallers/installers:
                  http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_15507

Tracy