7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2015 11:08 AM by trshaner

white circle w \ ?

Matt Bouchard

I am new to Lightroom and I am trying to drag photos of a file on an external hard drive.  I have done this with several folders and then I received a white circle at the bottom of the photos and in the white circle is this symbol ( \).  The photos do not go into the folder and are back in Lightroom, where they started. 

Does anyone understand this and have a solution?

• 1. Re: white circle w \ ?
          trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Is this a new drive that is perhaps NTFS formatted? You'll need to format it if on your Mac.

Quick Tip: Solving "Read Only" External Drive Problems on Your Mac - YouTube

• 2. Re: white circle w \ ?
            Matt Bouchard Level 1

TR,

Thank you for replying to my inquiry about the white circle w\ through it.

I watched the attached video several time to be sure I was doing things correctly.  My Seagate - Slim T - 2 already indicated that it was read / write.  But I saved the files on the drive and proceeded to reformat to a Mac only,  Unfortunately this did not correct the problem.  So then, I reformatted once again to the MS - Dos (Fat) as the video suggested.  I still have the problem.

I was originally using Mac’s Aperture software and they are no longer supporting it.  I switched to Photoshop & Lightroom, and downloaded the Aperture Library.  It took a long time (about 11 hours) but everything came over and in the same file structure that I had set up over the last five years.

I am able to drag and drop some of my old folders but not all - I am more perplexed than anything.  I had been working for some time adding these files to the Seagate external drive and then all of a sudden, one file would not drag over.

I have tried several of the original files that I was able to drag and drop - they worked.  I tried to drag the file that did not work and it still give me the white circle w \ and the photos go right back to Lightroom, with no copies in the external drive.

I hate to bother you but do you have any suggestions.

Best Regards,

Matt

• 3. Re: white circle w \ ?

Then this is most likely being caused by some kind of permissions issue. What type and size is the file that won't copy over and is it on a different drive than the other files that can be copied over to the external drive?

I'm a Windows guy with limited experience using Macs, so perhaps someone else can step in and help.

• 4. Re: white circle w \ ?
                Matt Bouchard Level 1

TR,

Again, thanks for answering my questions.

The files are JPEG format and there are 10 photos in this group that will not copy over.  Up to this point I was dragging files with hundreds of photos with no issues.  These are all in the same drive and in my Lightroom library, which was down loaded from the old Aperture software from my Mac.  I am taking my files from the Lightroom Library and dragging them to the a Seagate - Slim 2 - TB external hard drive.

I hope this answers your questions.

Thanks for your help.

Best Regards,

Matt

• 5. Re: white circle w \ ?

It still sounds like some kind of file permissions issue. Can you move them to your desktop or another folder location on the same drive? If not then that's a clear indication of a user permissions problem.

• 6. Re: white circle w \ ?
                    Matt Bouchard Level 1

TR,

When I tried to drag the photos to an empty space on the desktop, they do not stay on the desktop but slide back into the folder in Lightroom.

I have no idea what “File permission issues or User Permission” are or how to change them?

Best Regards,

Matt

• 7. Re: white circle w \ ?

Like I said I'm not a Mac user, but I am good a good Google user:

https://www.google.com/search?num=100&q=os+x+file+permissions+change&oq=os+x+file+permissi ons+change&gs_l=serp.12...0.0.…

You should find a solution at the above link.