11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2016 2:59 PM by danielr69530072

Windows 10 and file locations Lightroom CC

louisd79464044

I have migrated to windows 10 and as result the lightroom CC library has been moved to a new made location  C:\..\appdata\local\temp\_tc  and I see no way to change that.

However, TEMP triggers clean-up programs like CCLeaner etc. and will result in removal of the Lightroom library !!

Can someone tell me how to change the file location name to a safe location address ?

• 1. Re: Windows 10 and file locations Lightroom CC
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When you mention the library, I assume you are talking about all of your images. Can you not simply copy that library to another location and then in Lightroom update the folder location?

• 2. Re: Windows 10 and file locations Lightroom CC
            louisd79464044 Level 1

Hi Jim,

What I mean is actually the catalog and the backups. Both are directed to the 'temp'directory mentioned, and there does not seem to be an option to choose that place myself.

It is just a given thing in the options. In Windows 7 it was something to define/change to my own preferences, and out of the temp areas.

If ADOBE considers all catalogs as a temporary thing I wonder what they are heading at? Even after exporting I do feel like having the conversion catalog stored. Like the backups too

• 3. Re: Windows 10 and file locations Lightroom CC

I haven't switched to Windows 10 yet. Still sitting on the fence. The catalog can be placed anywhere you want it to be. You should take your previews folder as well and put it wherever you put the catalog. As far as backups are concerned, you can choose the destination for backups from within Lightroom. You don't have to let Windows control any of that.

• 4. Re: Windows 10 and file locations Lightroom CC
                louisd79464044 Level 1

Hi Jim,

I found the problem. Lightroom did so far use the c:\Program Files\adobe\lightroom\catalog\ directory to store my catalogs and backups.

In windows 10 the program files directory is locked for use unless you are in administrator mode. I have copied the present catalog files to the program data directory, and opened that from out of Lightroom.

So: When you have the catalog file stored in the program files directory and move to Windows 10 without moving the catalog you will end up getting an error when opening Lightroom after the windows 10 move.

I had that problem and restarted ightroom with the latest backup, because I thought the catalog had crashed. Why it ended up in the Temp directory I cannot recall but anyway: It is clear moving to Windows 10 can better be done after making a fresh bckup of the Lightroom catalog, and a move of the catalog to a free data area on your PC 

• 5. Re: Windows 10 and file locations Lightroom CC
                  BKKDon Level 4

louisd79464044 wrote:

Lightroom did so far use the c:\Program Files\adobe\lightroom\catalog\ directory to store my catalogs and backups.

The default catalog location for Lightroom is "C:\Users\[user name]\Pictures\Lightroom\" and not in the "C:\Program Files" directory ... you are best not to store any user data in the Program Files directory as that is used to store applications only and, in the case where an application does a proper uninstall, it may well delete the directory and your data along with it.

• 6. Re: Windows 10 and file locations Lightroom CC
                    louisd79464044 Level 1

The weard thing is that I can put the catalog in c:\programdata\ without problems and c:\user\... \pictures\ is not allowed either by Lightroom or Windows 10, although Windows does not state it as administrator limited area ......

In short: If you move to windows 10, and after that Lightroom is not able to open the catalog any more, just copy the catalog to another place until it is accepted by Lightroom.

• 7. Re: Windows 10 and file locations Lightroom CC
                      ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

Alternatively, go into admin mode if needed, and correct the permissions on your user\...\pictures folder. Your account should have "full control" of that folder.

Do you have any problems putting pictures into that folder?

• 8. Re: Windows 10 and file locations Lightroom CC
                        louisd79464044 Level 1

I have the impression windows 10 is not working well on the permission status admin.

It does not permit as wanted. I can put pictures anywhere without a problem, after clicking as administrator. Lightroom does not pose a question but just states 'the library is not valid due to an unexpected error'

It seems to be a bug in windows 10  Lightroom cannot handle

• 9. Re: Windows 10 and file locations Lightroom CC

Well, I have now switched Windows 10. I suppose someone is going to have to enlighten me on the merits of having an administrator account as well as a user account. I have always used my computer using the administrator account. After Windows 10 was installed, all of my files including my catalog and everything else remained right where they were before. Lightroom works, Photoshop works. I only had one little catch with a printing utility that came with my printer. Since I have both Photoshop CS6 and CC 2015, when I installed the Canon update it placed a new plug-in in Photoshop CS6, but hasn't been programmed to look for the new version of Photoshop. So I had to copy the plug-in to the appropriate with Photoshop directory. Other than that, I have had no issues whatsoever.

Like I say, I always run my computer using the administrator account. From what I have concluded from reading the forum, it's users who are trying to use Lightroom using a standard user account that are having problems.

• 10. Re: Windows 10 and file locations Lightroom CC
                            ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

Using a (restricted) user account instead of an admin account for your normal day-to-day activities will greatly reduce the risk of getting malware onto the computer. That is the theory. Personally, I have always used Windows via an account with admin privs.

• 11. Re: Windows 10 and file locations Lightroom CC
                              danielr69530072

I just upgraded to a new desktop Windows 10 computer and have the same problem. I have a back up of my Lightroom 6 catalogue on an external hard drive, but when I try to open it, it give me the message "an unexpected error has occurred". I changed the "security" setting for the back up folder, but still it doesn't work. Also contacted Adobe chat support but it seemed to me the person did't really know how to solve it.

What am I missing? And what else can I do to fix this problem?

Thanks in advance!