7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2015 11:20 AM by Maile Valentine

website redesign to responsive

Rose

I have a website that I built about 10 years ago. I now need to make it responsive and don't know if there is a simple way to do so in Dreamweaver, where I created it.

• 1. Re: website redesign to responsive
          Maile Valentine Employee Moderator

Hi Rose,

Can you send the link to the website you want to redesign? I could take a look and try to send some pointers. Also, feel free to post how to questions in the general Dreamweaver forum: Dreamweaver support forum. There are a lot of active, experienced users there who could offer suggestions as well.

Cheers,

Maile

• 2. Re: website redesign to responsive
            Jon Fritz II Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If it was made 10 years ago, it's fairly unlikely that there's going to be an easy way to turn it responsive, short of starting from scratch. Most of the techniques used back then are pretty much the opposite of responsive design techniques.

Looking at the code may shed some light on what would need to be done, but with something that old, conversion would likely be more difficult that just starting over with a new responsive layout and populating it with your current content.

If you have a table based layout, you may be able to purchase a mobile friendly table converter extension from Project 7 to convert it. I don't know how well it works, but some of their other extensions get very high reviews in the DW forum:

• 3. Re: website redesign to responsive

I agree with Jon. You'll probably find it easier to just recreate it. I am currently updating a site that I designed for a client a while back and have found that it was easier for me to start from scratch than try to convert it. It was also a good opportunity to reduce the amount of text on the page. 10 years ago, the practice was to include a lot of information in the form of text on web pages. These days, less is more in the way of text - visitors to a website either don't have the time, or don't want to take the time to read through a lot of text. Having a clean, simple and modern design can also improve the experience your visitors will have.

I'm documenting my progress on this project in a series of blog posts that may help offer some insight: Create a responsive website in Dreamweaver CC – Part 1 | Maile Valentine

Still, feel free to share the link to the website you are updating to get some pointers. Searching the web for "responsive website examples" can big a help in seeing what others are doing with their sites that may fit what you need.

• 4. Re: website redesign to responsive
                Rose Level 1

Thank you both for your response. I kind of figured I would have to bite the bullet and just redesign. Below is my website address and as you said Maile my entry page is text heavy since that was the SEO standard then. One question I still haven't found an answer to is how redesigning my website will affect my SEO. My business is very niche and local so I am generally on the 1st page/top of any google search for the terms that are used in my industry. I also have a google adwords campaign running each month. I'm going into my busy season and don't want to rock the boat. I would appreciate any insight you might have on how to make the transition and painless as possible.

Thanks,
                Rose

http://www.desertrosedoor.com

• 5. Re: website redesign to responsive
                  Rose Level 1

Also, I've been seeing a lot of conversions from DW to Wordpress sites. To me all of the WP sites look the same and I really want my site to be different. In  your opinion, is Wordpress a better platform?  Thanks.

• 6. Re: website redesign to responsive

Hi Rose,

A few pointers on SEO / web re-design:

1. Use  Google AdWords: Keyword Planner to research the most effective keywords and phrases for your industry.

2. Create a Google Places page for your business if you do not already have one. If it is a local business only, you'll want to limit the geographic range of this page for max effectiveness. If your business covers a bigger area, you can indicate that when you define the geographic area for the Places page.

3. Evaluate your existing site to minimize the amount of text content to include just enough information for what your customers will find important (again, most visitors want to get straight to the point and find out what they need, or what you can do for them).

4. Pictures speak 1000 words - especially these days!

5. When you re-write the newly minimized text for your page, include the findings from the Keyword Planner - HTML title and H1 get high priority from search engines. Make sure to include keywords and phrases in the body of the text as well.

6. Search the web for "responsive website examples" for ideas for layouts that would work for what you need.

7. Search engines are placing high priority on sites that are adaptive to different devices, which is a key motivator to moving to responsive design. (This is a short article on the topic: The Google Mobile Friendly Update & Mobilegeddon Explained).

8. Make the main tasks and info easily accessible throughout your site (e.g., contact phone # - users don't want to hunt and peck, make this prominent; do your customers contact you for free estimates, do they order directly from your website, etc? Make those tasks accessible and requiring as few steps as possible).

I hope this helps a bit!

Maile