10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2006 4:30 PM by Metro Media

spotilight effect with action, how????

creation22
      Hi,

Im working on a website for a band and want to have the band characters stood on a stage as silhouettes and a spotlight that passes over them to light them up, I've created that no problem, however I want to add the list of band members names as buttons and when you rollover the name, the spotlight moves to that member. I simply cannot figure out how it could be done, I can get it to just flick onto the character but how would I get it to slide along from its current position, so lets say you had the spotlight on character 1, then you wanted it to move to character 3, then back to 2, then 4 etc, or any random combination, and the light panned across the stage rather than having an 'on/off'' light which flickers on and off, if you know what I mean.

Any help on how this could be done would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Tom
      Creation22
        • 1. Re: spotilight effect with action, how????
          cinemaguy Level 1
          You should look into using the Tween class.

import mx.transitions.Tween;
          import mx.transitions.easing;
          • 2. Re: spotilight effect with action, how????
            creation22 Level 1
            The only way I could think of was to have seperate identical scenes for each character and when their name is rolled over from the first scene, have the light pan across to them, then within each characters scene, create the tweens for the light to move to each other character depending on which name was rolled over by the viewer.

The biggest problem in this movie is the number of combinations for the light to move across the stage, so thats the only method I could think of doing, however even though the stages look exactly the same in different scenes, there is still a noticeable flicker when each new scene is played which ruins the idea I had.

There must be a way of doing this as it is a very common thing in flash sites, to have a symbol (in this case a spotlight mask) that moves to whichever menu item is rolled over regardless of the combination of moving between menu items).

HELP!
            • 4. Re: spotilight effect with action, how????
              creation22 Level 1
              why does everyone in this forum get help except me, is my question really that hard for you pros to answer?
              • 5. Re: spotilight effect with action, how????
                ggshow Level 2
                Because most people come here to ask for help,
                but not many people come here to help.

Well, I'm here not for both mentioned above,
                but I'm here to learn.

Some time, it is not hard to do, but it is hard to understand your question.
                Some time, it is not hard to do, but hard to explain to you how to do that.

Well, in this case, I'm having both problem mentioned above.
                I'm not sure is this what you need, & I dont know how to explain to you here.

Try the file & give me feedback.
                http://www.ggshow.net/pub/spotlight.fla
                • 6. Re: spotilight effect with action, how????
                  Metro Media Level 1
                  This can be done with actionscript pretty easily... I think the reason you are not getting much help is that you are not asking for a little help on your code...you want someone to comletely conceptualize the project and write the code for you. That is why your question is hard... it is just time consuming to ask someone to to all that for you. That being said..I will try and get you going in the right direction.

Here is an example of the following code in action... its ugly.. no time for prettyness
                  http://www.metro-media.net/flashTutorial/tween.html

• 7. Re: spotilight effect with action, how????
                    cinemaguy Level 1
                    hmm looks like Metro proposed using the tween class which is exactly what I proposed in my reply. Had you done some research on your own creation you probably could have come up with some answers yourself.
                    • 8. Re: spotilight effect with action, how????
                      creation22 Level 1
                      firstly, thanks for the replies...

secondly, apologies for the inappropriate reply regarding lack of help. I do appreciate all of your responses.

I did not acknowledge the post about the tween class as I just did not understand even where to begin researching, let alone what the tween class actually is?!

oh by the way, I incredibly new to flash. Just in case you hadn't guessed already.

I didn't so much want someone to just write the whole script and hand it to me, I just needed pointing in the right direction as to what kind of actions I should be including in the script and the way in which script would handle this kind of application.

I now see that the tween class is the way to go, still dont even know what 'tween class' means though.

thanks again
                      • 9. Re: spotilight effect with action, how????
                        Metro Media Level 1
                        a class is just a pre built set of functions included in flash that allows you to simply call it, pass it a few parameters and it takes care of the rest.
                        The tween class is a class that handles tweening(animation).
                        It can be used to alter the attributes of a movie clip. I can tween position, scale, alpha etc.
                        there are different types of tween effects you can use, I used the elastic effect in the example I created for you. If you look up mx.transitions in help, you should be able to find a list of the different tweening effects and what they do as well as how to change the effect in the script i wrote you.

good luck with your project
                        • 10. Re: spotilight effect with action, how????
                          Metro Media Level 1
                          a class is just a pre built set of functions included in flash that allows you to simply call it, pass it a few parameters and it takes care of the rest.
                          The tween class is a class that handles tweening(animation).
                          It can be used to alter the attributes of a movie clip. I can tween position, scale, alpha etc.
                          there are different types of tween effects you can use, I used the elastic effect in the example I created for you. If you look up mx.transitions in help, you should be able to find a list of the different tweening effects and what they do as well as how to change the effect in the script i wrote you.

good luck with your project