6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2015 1:43 PM by ssprengel

computer died - have no photos

kima96890539

computer died.  I need to get my photos linking to my new computer.  Lightroom 4

• 1. Re: computer died - have no photos
          Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Do you have a backup of your images?

• 2. Re: computer died - have no photos
            kima96890539 Level 1

I have all my images, they were never on the computer.  They are on a separate hard drive.  I just need lightroom to point correctly to it and have all the right keywords etc etc

• 3. Re: computer died - have no photos
              Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

If you don't have a backup of the LR catalog from the old dead computer you will need to import all of your images again into the new install of LR.

I suggest when you make a post you include all the info you have.

Do you have your images backed up or on a separate EHD?

Do you have a LR catalog that had all those images imported already.

Keywords, collections and develop settings are normally stored in the LR catalog so more than likely all of that is gone, unless you backed up the catalog to that external drive.

• 4. Re: computer died - have no photos
                kima96890539 Level 1

I have all my images, they were never on the computer.  They are on a separate hard drive.  I just need lightroom to point correctly to it and have all the right keywords etc etc

• 5. Re: computer died - have no photos
                  kima96890539 Level 1

all images on separate external hard drive.  I have the hard drive from the broken computer - catalogue had to be on the computer as LR will not allow it on a remote drive.  So I have access to everything.  I have not lost anything other than the computer itself.  Everything is always backed up.  I just don't know what I am looking for, where it is, or how to move it and re-align it to the new computer.  It would be helpful if they put out a manual.  Adobe help desk is NOT helpful

• 6. Re: computer died - have no photos
                    ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You need to find your LR catalog in your backups of whatever sort those are.  It is a file with an .LRCAT extension (perhaps lowercase).  If you have had LR also making backups periodically as it exits when you'll want to distinguish between all those backups and your actual catalog that might be newer than the last LR-initiated-backup.  This assumes that when you say you have backups that these are copy-of-your-hard-drive-files on another drive, somewhere.

On the new computer, install LR 4, copy the .lrcat file you found, earlier, to where you want it on the new computer and double-click on it.  This will open it in LR4.

If the external storage has the same drive-letter or device-name on the new computer then you're done.

If the external storage has a new name/drive-letter on the new computer, then you'll need to right-click on the top-level folder(s) in LR and choose Locate Missing Folder or whatever the verbiage is in your version of LR and click over to it on the external storage.  This will relink the LR catalog paths with the physical folder/image paths.

Googling for instructions about (moving lightroom from one computer to another) will give you the steps as well.  For example:

How To Transfer a Lightroom Catalog and Move a Photo Library to a New Computer