4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2015 3:08 PM by El_Jeffe

Most effective component upgrades for 2009 Mac Pro for Lightroom + PS CC 2015?

El_Jeffe Level 1

Early 2009 Mac Pro.

2.66 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 24 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 512 MB, OSX 10.10.4

Lightroom and Photoshop CC 2015

The system is most definitely bogging down. Lots of spinning balls, slow writes to screen when using LR.

It's an old box, so I don't want to put too much into it right now (saving up for a new machine next year), but I'm able to put up $500 into it right now.

I don't have an SSD in it (all 4 bays are filled with spinning HD's), so my initial thought was to put in a 512 GB SSD blade for apps and LR catalog and previews, then use it as scratch for LR and PS.

However, the main issue I seem to have with LR is slow screen updates as I make Develop changes. As the video card I have is the original with 512 MB of memory, would a video card upgrade give me more bang for the buck with LR CC 2015? If so, what card?

I do have GPU off in LR pref's, in case you're wondering.

Or is there another component I'm not thinking about or is this machine completely over the hill in terms of LR and PS CC 2015 and I should concentrate on getting a newer machine asap?

Thanks!!