6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2015 4:17 PM by rkeahey

Need help with symbol "start"

rkeahey

I've created a symbol animation to demonstrate continuous flow of balls along a motion path.

The element is called Ellipse and repeats at the end of the timeline via sym.play(0); (see first attachment)

Ellipse is part of a symbol named S1 that is duplicated 3 times with a STOP at time 0.0 and the PLAY staggered by .5 second. (see second attachment)

S1 is part of a symbol named AH. (see third attachment)

I've created a button that with an action that triggers F-IN on the timeline, which produces a fadein sequence. The action is simply: sym.play("F-IN");

My question is: how do I make the AH symbol animation "start" from the first ball when the trigger fires (button is clicked)? When the action is triggered the AH animation is already playing.  I've tried setting  sym.getSymbol("AH").stop(); at creationComplete for the Stage, but the result is that the animation is already playing when the trigger fires, and all four balls are moving in unison (looks like one ball...).

Not sure I'm using all the right terms - kinda new at this. Please let me know what other information I should be providing. I'm using EA CC 2015 on Windows 10.

Thanks

Screenshot_AE_1.pngScreenshot_AE_2.pngScreenshot_AE_3.png

• 1. Re: Need help with symbol "start"
          pittsburgh_joe Level 3

Try putting a sym.stop(); on the first frame of AH. If you have a javascript error anywhere in the project, edge will ignore all stops.

• 2. Re: Need help with symbol "start"
            rkeahey Level 1

Pittsburgh_joe,

Thanks. Tried your suggestion, but got the same results as when I put sym.getSymbol("AH").stop(); at creationComplete for the Stage. All four balls move in unison. And the animation is already running when the action (F-IN) is triggered.

Appreciate your idea! Will keep scratching my head on this one.

R

• 3. Re: Need help with symbol "start"
              pittsburgh_joe Level 3

maybe you need to tell each individual SI to stop or pause

I don't trust the (directly on timeline) playback feature

• 4. Re: Need help with symbol "start"
                rkeahey Level 1

Thanks again Pittsburgh_joe.

I put the following statements in the Stage action for creationComplete:

sym.getSymbol("AH").getSymbol("S1").stop();

sym.getSymbol("AH").getSymbol("S1Copy").stop();

sym.getSymbol("AH").getSymbol("S1Copy2").stop();

sym.getSymbol("AH").getSymbol("S1Copy3").stop();

Now when the F-IN action is triggered, there are 3 balls and the animation is already playing. The only stop() that it appears to recognize is sym.getSymbol("AH").getSymbol("S1").stop(); I can try any other of the stop()'s and they seem to have no effect (for example, if I delete the S1 stop all 4 balls show up, even though there are 3 other stops in the action).

What I did find out is that the stop() in the Stage action is affected by the "Play" in the Playback (timeline) for each of the individual S1 symbols. If I add a "Play" to S1 (which I didn't have before) then the stop() in the Stage action is ignored just like the 3 other symbol copies.

Appreciate your thoughts! Will keep experimenting.

Robert

• 5. Re: Need help with symbol "start"
                  rkeahey Level 1

Pittsburgh_joe,

I think I finally figured it out. I had to edit the AH and S1 symbols and set "Autoplay" to "off". Then I had to issue a sym.getSymbol("AH").play(0); to start the animation when the F-IN action was triggered. Once the animation was playing I could just fade it in and out.

Turns out I also had to move my stop() action that I had set at 1 sec on the timeline back to 0. A lot of trial an error... but it seems to work ok now.

Here's a LINK to a video that explains what I was actually trying to do.

Thanks again for your help!AE Autoplay.PNG

• 6. Re: Need help with symbol "start"
                    rkeahey Level 1

Sorry. The link to the video got screwed up - here it is - Adobe Edge Symbol Animate - YouTube