14 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2015 3:12 PM by CarbinCopy

Adobe premiere elements 7 keeps crashing when I try to burn DVD!

CarbinCopy

I have adobe premiere elements 7 on my computer.  I have used it for years and have burned edited wedding DVDs in the past.  I am currently working on a project and now every time that I try to burn to DVD, the program stops working.  The video is about 1 hour 15 minutes with DVD menus.  I have cleared off room on my hard drive (I have over 100 Gigs available),  I have tried two different DVD burners.  (one built in and one external)  Please help!

• 1. Re: Adobe premiere elements 7 keeps crashing when I try to burn DVD!
          A.T. Romano Level 7

CarbonCopy

Premiere Elements 7

What computer operating system is involved? Do you still have QuickTime installed on your computer along with Premiere Elements, and are you running the programs as administrator?

If you go to Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks, where is Disc Encoding pointed, and how much free hard drive space is there?

When you have the DVD disc in the burner tray and go to Share/Disc/DVD disc, what does the burn dialog show for Space Required and Bitrate?

a. Does burn to Folder (4.7) or burn to Folder (8.5) work whereas burn to disc does not?

b. If you make a copy of the project (File Menu/Save A Copy) and use that copy but delete 1/2 of it, do you get a successful burn to disc.

Please consider and then we will decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Adobe premiere elements 7 keeps crashing when I try to burn DVD!
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Windows or Mac, and have you updated your operating system between working and not working?

With version 7, are you able to specify creating a DVD folder on your hard drive, and does that work?

• 3. Re: Adobe premiere elements 7 keeps crashing when I try to burn DVD!
              CarbinCopy Level 1

I am running Windows 7.  I still have adobe premiere elements 7 as well as quicktime.  I believe I am running it as the administrator.   I have not updated to a new operating system between working and now working.  When I check the scratch disk space there is 114.6 GB. 

a)  Burn to folder seems to work.   I have created a DVD file (or at least I think I did) and it is labeled as an XMP file, but I do not know how to now burn in onto DVD. I went to Share/computer/mpeg/NTSC DVD widescreen and that worked.   I am able to export files to the computer (mpeg with no DVD menus), just not to DVD.

b)  When I made a copy and deleted about 1/2 of the movie the program still crashed when trying to burn to DVD.  It does not even get past 0%.

• 4. Re: Adobe premiere elements 7 keeps crashing when I try to burn DVD!
                A.T. Romano Level 7

CabinCopy

Thanks for the important troubleshooting information.

I am not sure with what you created when you wrote

Burn to folder seems to work.   I have created a DVD file (or at least I think I did) and it is labeled as an XMP file, but I do not know how to now burn in onto DVD

Publish+Share/Disc/DVD with the burn to = Folder (4.7 GB) or Folder (8.5 GB). The preset would be NTSC Dolby DVD (for standard) and NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD (for widescreen). Here I have assumed that you are in a NTSC rather than PAL setup. What you find in the saved folder are two folders, OpenDVD and VIDEO_TS. You want only the VIDEO_TS Folder. If you have done that and have been successful, then please read on.

The successful burn to Folder (4.7 GB) points to the burner and/or disc.

But, let us first detail what you can do with the saved Folder from the burn to Folder (4.7 GB) or Folder (8.5 GB) in order to get your DVD-VIDEO standard or widescreen on DVD disc if you are in a time crunch to get that end product to your viewers.

1.Go to the saved folder and use only the VIDEO_TS Folder. You are going to take only  that VIDEO_TS Folder into the free ImgBurn program to get your DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc. Details for doing that are in the following link. If you need any help with those instructions, please ask and we will fine tune the information.

How to burn a DVD Folder with ImgBurn - AfterDawn: Guides

First confirm what you did with burn to folder.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: Adobe premiere elements 7 keeps crashing when I try to burn DVD!
                  CarbinCopy Level 1

Thank you for your help.

Ok, so I finally understand what you mean about "  Publish+Share/Disc/DVD with the burn to = Folder (4.7 GB) or Folder (8.5 GB)."  I selected the folder for 4.7 GB and you are correct in assuming NTSC-widescreen.  However, this also crashed the program when I tried it.  I got the same error message as before-that adobe has stopped working.  Any other ideas?

What I was talking about before that worked was choosing to share/computer/mpeg/NTSC-widescreen.  This created an XMP file that I cannot open.  I was also able to create an MPEG of the movie, which of course does not include my DVD menus and scenes.

• 6. Re: Adobe premiere elements 7 keeps crashing when I try to burn DVD!
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

CartinCopy

Thanks for reviewing the troubleshooting details and working through to get very important information.

When you are doing the burn to disc, when does the crash occur...

a. Encoding Menus

b. Encoding Media

c. Compiling Media

d. Burning to Disc

To save disks while troubleshooting, consider doing your troubleshooting with burn to folder. Once that is resolved, the burn to disc should fall into place.

1. Make a copy of the project (File Menu/Save a Copy).

2. First remove the disc menu theme and all the Timeline markers.....is the burn to folder successful?

3. Next remove all the audio from the project....is burn to folder successful?

4. Next remove all video transitions....is burn to folder successful?

5. Next remove all titles....is burn to folder successful?

6. If all of the above is unsuccessful, consider the remaining videos and reflect on any effects that were applied to them.

Another approach might be to export your Timeline content to a DV.avi widescreen and then import that DV.avi widescreen into a new DV Widescreen project for menus and burn to folder. Does that work?

Please consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 7. Re: Adobe premiere elements 7 keeps crashing when I try to burn DVD!
                      CarbinCopy Level 1

The crash occurs right away.  As soon as I hit the burn button, I get the warning that it stopped working and needs to close.  It does not even get to the point of encoding anything.

• 8. Re: Adobe premiere elements 7 keeps crashing when I try to burn DVD!
                        CarbinCopy Level 1

I opened up a different project which is a lot shorter.  (It's actually part of my larger project.)  This contains no menus and is only about 2 or 3 minutes long.  The same crash happened.                                     warning message.jpg

• 9. Re: Adobe premiere elements 7 keeps crashing when I try to burn DVD!
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

CarbinCopy

Let us go back to some basics on this one...

1. Is your video card/graphics card driver version up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card?

2. What are you using for the Windows Theme - is it one of the Windows High Contrast themes?

The trailing nature of the dialog may be highly significant, pointing to a video card driver issue. Let us see.

ATR

• 10. Re: Adobe premiere elements 7 keeps crashing when I try to burn DVD!
                            CarbinCopy Level 1

ATR,

My husband and I checked the video card driver and it's now up to date.  I am not using a high contrast theme.

I tried exporting the DV.avi that you suggested and that seems to work.  I did not burn the entire way, but it did not crash as soon as I hit burn, it actually started to work.  However, if I do that way I will have to redo all of the menus that I already did and the video does lose some quality.  Do you think I should just do that? 

I also have another windows computer that is a little better than this one, but it did not work on there either.

Do you think it has anything to do with the patch that I put on as an update to Adobe premiere elements 7?

• 11. Re: Adobe premiere elements 7 keeps crashing when I try to burn DVD!
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

CarbinCopy

With Premiere Elements 7, I often thought that it opened better without any updates. But, right now, I am not suspecting its implications in your problem.

Let us leave the DV AVI Timeline burned to disc with new menus as a safety net to get this particular project done. The problem might be just with this project or with all. At this point, I do not think we have evidence that the problem is going to be for every project moving forward or for the current project.

1. Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer with Premiere Elements and are you running the programs from a user account with administrative privileges?

2. Now that you have the video card/graphics card driver version up dated and you have restarted the computer, have you tried the burn to disc and the burn to folder to determine if they are now working? Before going on to the following, assure that the burn to Folder (4.7 GB) or Folder (8.5 GB) is not working also. Then..

All video undergoes degradation with re-encoding, but DV AVI less than other formats. Please confirm that, in spite of any other problems, the trailing is gone from the display.

Depending on the above, the following is indicated...

1. Uninstall the usual way; free ccleaner run through (regular and registry cleaner parts) CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download; reinstall with antivirus and firewalls disabled. Do not install any updates at this point.

Please stop and ask if any questions come up along the way.

Thanks.

ATR

• 12. Re: Adobe premiere elements 7 keeps crashing when I try to burn DVD!
                                CarbinCopy Level 1

1.  Yes, I have the latest version of quicktime and I am running adobe as an admin.

2.  I have restarted the computer and tried to burn to a folder, but it still crashes.

What is "trailing" on the display?

I guess I will reinstall...

• 13. Re: Adobe premiere elements 7 keeps crashing when I try to burn DVD!
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

CarbinCopy

Thanks for the update.

This is the part of your screenshot that I am referring to as trailing.

Trailing.JPG

When you go through the uninstall reinstall, that free ccleaner run through between the uninstall and reinstall can be critical. Consequently, please do that including the regular and registry cleaner parts of that ccleaner. So...uninstall, ccleaner run through, and reinstall with antivirus and firewalls disabled.

Thanks.

ATR

• 14. Re: Adobe premiere elements 7 keeps crashing when I try to burn DVD!
                                    CarbinCopy Level 1

I had taken a break from dealing with this issue.  It is still not resolved.  Do you have any other ideas?  Thank you!