4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2015 11:42 PM by williamb49824458

Same image in mutiple documents

williamb49824458

Hello,

If I have an image in my InDesign document and I edit this file, InDesign gives me a marker to tell me the image has changed en needs to be updated. That's fine.

But, what if I have an image which is used in several InDesign files. If I edit the image, is there a way InDesign can show me in which docs this file is being used?

So that I know which documents I have to open and update.

Thank in advance,

William

• 1. Re: Same image in mutiple documents
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't think that's possible without some kind of content management system. InDesign doesn't have access to information about all the files (on various drives and servers) where you may have placed that picture.

• 2. Re: Same image in mutiple documents
            John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

InDesign can't track that for you. But assuming the body of documents in question is stored logically in one or more locations where they can be searched, you can search for InDesign files which contain references to the image file name using Agent Ransack (Windows) or Spotlight search (Mac).

• 3. Re: Same image in mutiple documents
              rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

So that I know which documents I have to open and update.

If you are sure you always want modified links to be updated, you could force updates when the document is opened via a startup script. So for OSX something like this Applescript—open in Apple's Script Editor and save to your startup scripts folder (Applications/Adobe InDesign CC 2014/Scripts/startup scripts). This would only work with modified links and missing links would not be changed.

tell application "Adobe InDesign CC 2014"

set check links at open of linking preferences to false

make event listener with properties {event type:"afterOpen", handler:updateAll}

end tell

on updateAll()

tell application "Adobe InDesign CC 2014"

try

tell active document

update (every link whose status is link out of date)

end tell

end try

end tell

end updateAll

• 4. Re: Same image in mutiple documents
                williamb49824458 Level 1

Thanks for the input, Steve, John and Rob.

I'll give it a try!