3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2015 8:29 AM by Peter Spier

Indesign Issues

amz9308

I work for a non-profit and they are still using Indesign 3. I created a brochure using indesign and had no problems. However when I try to access the file now I get a message that indicates: Either file does not exist, you do not have permission, or the file may be in use by another application. I know very little about computers and not even sure how I got my brochure together, but it would be awesome if someone could help me get it back.

• 1. Re: Indesign Issues
          John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It sounds as though there was a crash of some sort while the file was open, and there is a "lock file" present. (It would normally be deleted automatically when the InDesign file is properly saved and closed.)

Navigate to the folder where the InDesign file is stored and look for a file with the extension ".idlk" Delete that file and try again.

• 2. Re: Indesign Issues
            amz9308 Level 1

I cannot seem to locate the indesign file at all. I can only find the PDF I saved it as on my computer to share with others.

Again, maybe my inexperience with computers is really hurting me here.

• 3. Re: Indesign Issues
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

InDesign can only "Place" a PDF as an image, not open it for editing, unless you have a third-party plugin.

You could export the text and images from the PDF using Acrobat pro (you might need to save as HTML, then open that in Word to get the text to look good) and then recreate the file from the ground up, using the PDF as a guide.