1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 18, 2015 11:19 AM by resdesign

how can i edit child symbols without changing siblings or parent symbol?

lj.bl

I have copied a symbol around 10 times  (alt drag) , i want to edit each of the copied symbols so they are slightly different however whenever I edit one, all the others will change with it. whenever i right click on a symbol copy to edit It will ask me if i want to edit symbol 1 (the parent symbol name)

How can I edit sibling symbols?

• 1. Re: how can i edit child symbols without changing siblings or parent symbol?
          resdesign Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When duplicating a symbol you need to do it in the symbol library, not the elements panel.

But, as you said if you have children symbols in it, then they will all reflect the changes that you make in them in the original symbol except if you do the changes dynamically. For example, if you have text in your child symbol and want to change the text, then do it dynamically. same with images.

If you duplicate a symbol that has only elements and no child symbol, then you can change whatever you want in the copy you made in the symbols panel.

You could also swap children symbol in that symbol dynamically. this requires a good knowledge of symbol scope.