9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2015 7:58 PM by StormyCPb

AE Extremely Slow to Open Project

TC5 Level 1

I'm having trouble opening a project where AE is taking forever to load video assets or something. The project is a 30 second (AVCHD) video file with rotobrush edits applied to a layer (only two layers in the project). Ultimately I can't get the project to fully become active. It kinda hangs like it's loading a frame indefinitely.

AE CC current version. Computer is a Macbook Pro 2012, 2.3GHZ intel core i7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 512 MB.

Has AE maxed out my machine? Surely it can handle more than 30 seconds of video?... How do I get out of this mess so I can render my file and move forward? Project was working ok yesterday as I was doing rotobrush work, though it was certainly moving sluggishly as I worked from frame to frame.

Thanks for any advice!

• 1. Re: AE Extremely Slow to Open Project
          StormyCPb Level 3

Screen shots always help!

Try purging your cache and memory: Edit > Purge > All Memory and Disk Cache, then restart.

Depending on your roto, it can be quite processor heavy... also what drive do you have your footage on? If it's on the same drive as your apps and your running low on space, it'll suffer. Having all your assets on a separate SSD is the best way to go.

• 2. Re: AE Extremely Slow to Open Project
            TC5 Level 1

Thanks for your help.

Will get a screenshot shortly I'm currently trying to load the project again. It seems maybe the last base frame i had on my roto brush is too far behind and it looks like the file is loading from there (green line after the yellow square in the layer panel). I have no idea how to create base frames. the first base frame was created automatically and another was created the next time I loaded the project but the past few sessions no base frames were created.

Can I create base frames on frames I previously rotobrushed (without losing any work I've done) to chop down the span between base frames for faster load time? Can those base frames be put anywhere or on strategic frames only?

• 3. Re: AE Extremely Slow to Open Project
              TC5 Level 1

Footage is on the local computer drive.

• 4. Re: AE Extremely Slow to Open Project
                StormyCPb Level 3

ffootage shouldnt be on the local drive, it can cripple your work!

• 5. Re: AE Extremely Slow to Open Project
                  TC5 Level 1

Ok. how do I move the video files currently in use in my project to the external drive?

I just purged the memory and disk cache file (20 GB size) 103 GB available on my local drive right now.

• 6. Re: AE Extremely Slow to Open Project
                    StormyCPb Level 3

jjust do a copy/paste and then delete off the local, then AE will give you an alert of

missing footage so right click on the clip and Replace Footage > then find it on your external drive. If u have multiple shots, AE should automatically delink the other ones

• 7. Re: AE Extremely Slow to Open Project
                      StormyCPb Level 3

i mean 're link'

• 8. Re: AE Extremely Slow to Open Project
                        TC5 Level 1

after purging the 20GB cache and memory, how long might the rebuilding of it take when I reopen the project? The project now opens maybe a bit quicker but the frames in the layer other than the very first frame take ages to show if they show at all.

There's next to nothing indicating exactly what's happening, so the wait could be minutes, hours, days?

• 9. Re: AE Extremely Slow to Open Project
                          StormyCPb Level 3

it should be quick so there's obviously another issue! you're going to have to go through methodically and shut off your rotos until you notice a change in speed I'm afraid. Btw, how big are your video file size? AE is more efficient using image sequences rather than one or a few massive QTs. If you're only rotoing a potion of the 30s you should isolate that section too.

id try and Google roto in AE as its not something I do everyday so there may be big dos/donts I'm unaware of