13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2015 8:46 PM by bdmsb

Need to restore license to InDesign CS3

bdmsb Level 1

I have been using ID CS3 under Mac OS X 10.9 for years. After a recent hard disk replacement I had to restore all files. InDesign claims there is a failure of the licensing. Adobe won't help because CS3 is unsupported. I can't run the original installer because it evidently requires Rosetta. So I have a legal copy with original materials that I can no longer run. Is there any solution? I cannot bear to pay $20 a month just to print my existing documents.

• 2. Re: Need to restore license to InDesign CS3
          bdmsb Level 1

It says that's for Photoshop and others, but not InDesign. Regardless, I downloaded it and tried to run it. But it never comes up and I have to force quit (the application is not responding).

• 3. Re: Need to restore license to InDesign CS3
            BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

CS3 does not require Rosetta. Whoever told you that was wrong.

But…it is completely unsupported under anything later than 10.6 so I’m afraid you are on your own.

• 4. Re: Need to restore license to InDesign CS3
              bdmsb Level 1

I know CS3 does not require Rosetta. I've been using it for at least a year and a half on this iMac under Mavericks.

But the INSTALLER claims to require Rosetta. I tried to re-install from my CDs and the installer stops and says it can't continue. I had it on this machine because it was migrated from the Mac Pro it was originally installed on.

I understand its unsupported. But it WORKS. At least it did when all the right files were in the right places.

• 5. Re: Need to restore license to InDesign CS3

I realize you’re not hearing what you want to hear but there’s a reason it’s not supported. If you want to run old software you need an old computer. This is even more true on Mac than Windows since Apple doesn’t give a rat’s behind about backward compatibility.

• 6. Re: Need to restore license to InDesign CS3
                  bdmsb Level 1

I understand that Adobe is not motivated to help me use a program I licensed in 2007. My frustration is with the fact that everything worked fine until the hard disk failed, and the Time Machine restore didn't restore a functional InDesign.

But I confess to a certain ill will for being required to pay $20 a month just to print my instruction books when I don't even create new documents anymore. I would upgrade to CS4 or CS5 or CS6 given the chance. But I suppose Adobe would tell me I should have done that two or three years ago.

• 7. Re: Need to restore license to InDesign CS3
                    Cyndee M Level 1

If all you want is to print the existing versions of your old documents you might have some options:

1) You should be able to install one of the 30-day trial versions of ID, then export all of the documents to PDF and keep them and print them as PDFs

2) I believe that you can still purchase a stand alone version of ID CS6 -- sorry I don't have the link, but if you search you will find it here some place

3) You might be able to find someone (possibly for a small fee) to convert all of your existing documents to PDF for you.

Of course some of these options may be more practical than others depending on how many documents you are talking about, BUT if you do not need to create new documents and do not need to edit the existing ones (though you should still be able to do that with options 1 [at least within the 30 days] and 2) you shouldn't need to purchase ID at all.

Good luck!

• 8. Re: Need to restore license to InDesign CS3
                      bdmsb Level 1

Thanks for the helpful suggestions. As far as I can tell its no longer possible to buy CS6. Well, that's not literally true. A couple of scalpers have it for $1300 and $1500.

And my documents are "booklets", which PDF can't handle (the print order is different than the page order).

But I think I can run CS3 in a Parallels virtual Snow Leopard environment.

• 9. Re: Need to restore license to InDesign CS3

CS6 is indeed still for sale but you will wind up in the same situation soon enough. Add to that the cost of $700 and I think your solution of running it in a virtual machine is the best bet.

• 10. Re: Need to restore license to InDesign CS3
                          Cyndee M Level 1

Yes, I also just found CS6 available for purchase for $700 directly from Adobe.

However, the fact that your documents need to be printed as booklets shouldn't prevent you from making them into PDFs. If you can print them, you can definitely make a printing order booklet (though I'm sure you could export it that way too) by printed to PDF. If a 30 day trial doesn't give you enough to time to do that, you could purchase the month-to-month subscription to CS2015 for a few month (I think it's $20 a month) until you get everything converted to PDFS.

I don't know about virtual machines (or Macs for that matter), but if Bob says it will work, then it certainly will.

• 11. Re: Need to restore license to InDesign CS3
                            bdmsb Level 1

Thanks for pointing out the CS6 from Adobe. They don't make it easy to find it! I may just buy it. $700 is a lot, but it's just 3 years of subscription, and then I would have an extended period of virtualization with it, too.

By the way, Cyndee, I already tried the PDF route and you can't output a PDF file from the "Print Booklet" command:

"The save as PDF and Save PDF as Postscript options in the printer dialog are not supported."

• 12. Re: Need to restore license to InDesign CS3

Forget print booklet. You’d be far better off exporting PDFs and then using the booklet printing feature in Acrobat.

• 13. Re: Need to restore license to InDesign CS3
                                bdmsb Level 1

Wow. I had no idea Adobe Acrobat had a booklet printing function. As it happens, I have Acrobat 9 Pro. So, I opened it up for the first time since the hard drive failure. It tells me Acrobat is part of a suite, and I have to open another member of the suite (like Photoshop) to activate Acrobat.

So I open Photoshop CS6. Acrobat still requires a member of the suite.

So I open Illustrator CS5. Acrobat still requires a member of the suite.

So I open After Effects CS5. Acrobat still requires a member of the suite.

So I open InDesign CS3. And it opens and runs!!!!

But Acrobat still requires a member of the suite.

So I track down the disks that contained Acrobat Pro 9. They were Creative Suite 4 Web Premium. I still have Illustrator CS4 on the hard drive, and I open it.

Now Acrobat Pro 9 runs too.

So, thanks to your suggestion about printing booklets with Acrobat, all of my problems are solved and I can die happy!

Perhaps I exaggerate. Nevertheless, thank you SO MUCH for persisting in this conversation. You have enabled my InDesign CS3 under Mavericks. Even though it's unsupported.

The take away for me: Adobe apps have complicated interactions with each other. The next time I have a licensing problem, I'll launch as many Adobe apps as possible and see if it helps.