6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2015 12:24 AM by MrTIFF

Top & Bottom Bleed on vertical facing pages

mackerr Level 1

Hi,

I'm fairly new to ID having recently decided to migrate from another well known page layout product.

I have a 20 page horizontal booklet which is stitched along the long edged so it has facing pages but they face vertically rather than horizontally; the format often used in wall calendars.

I am struggling to set up the bleed correctly. If it were a more usual facing pages document, so stitched vertically, I could just set up the bleed for, say, 3mm on the outside top and bottom and set it to zero on the inside. However with the format I have I don't seem to be able to find how I can achieve the same result.

I was hoping there'd be a way to set different bleed on different master pages but I can't seem to find that either.

Any help much appreciated.

• 1. Re: Top & Bottom Bleed on vertical facing pages
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Moved to InDesign forum

• 2. Re: Top & Bottom Bleed on vertical facing pages
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Projects like this are typically set up as normal facing pages, the the spread view is rotated 90 degrees clockwise to make the spine horizontal. If the finished pages are landscape and the binding is on top, you would set up as portrait and add your bleeds top, bottom, and outside (typically you would not need inside bleed at the spine) unless you have special binding requirements, in which case you can add that, too.

In the doc setup dialog when you work this way, the the top and bottom bleed values will be left and right on the finished pages, and outside will be the top and bottom edges of the finished spread.

• 3. Re: Top & Bottom Bleed on vertical facing pages
              mackerr Level 1

I had a quick look at doing this (the document was previously created in Quark and I've imported it using the Q2ID extension). The trouble is it seems to make the values of the X Y etc coordinates go all over the place. I work X0_Y0 top left and because all the object have been rotated the coordinates are all over the place and I don't seem to be able to do anything about it.

Also there are several layers which are lost because to sensibly rotate the page items to put them onto the portrait page on the vertically facing pages document (before spread rotation)  I have to group and them before cutting and pasting them between documents which destroys the layers. I suppose I could try that in Xpress and then bring it over to Id.

I take it there's no way of putting different bleed values on different pages or master pages?

• 4. Re: Top & Bottom Bleed on vertical facing pages
                Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

You could set up this document as non facing page doucument and set up pages vertically, simiiar to here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tf2s7c917kj5zbt/Horizontal_Spine-EN.pdf?dl=0

• 5. Re: Top & Bottom Bleed on vertical facing pages
                  mackerr Level 1

Thanks. I think this solution gives me vertical spreads but doesn't sort out the different bleeds top and bottom of the pages does it?

I'm also getting other problems with Id just now, i.e. crashing when I go to the File menu (beach ball on Mac); a bug which is talked about elsewhere on this community. For now I'm going to continue with Quark which seems to be more suited to this particular type of document and look at moving it to Id when it needs updating again next year, by which time Id may have been developed to support the format.

Thanks for you help.

• 6. Re: Top & Bottom Bleed on vertical facing pages
                    Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

You can draw them appart, you can position the pages with a gap between.

Am 20.08.2015 um 09:08 schrieb mackerr <forums_noreply@adobe.com>:

Top & Bottom Bleed on vertical facing pages

created by mackerr in InDesign - View the full discussion

Thanks. I think this solution gives me vertical spreads but doesn't sort out the different bleeds top and bottom of the pages does it?

I'm also getting other problems with Id just now, i.e. crashing when I go to the File menu (beach ball on Mac); a bug which is talked about elsewhere on this community. For now I'm going to continue with Quark which seems to be more suited to this particular type of document and look at moving it to Id when it needs updating again next year, by which time Id may have been developed to support the format.

Thanks for you help.

If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7880823#7880823 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page:

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7880823#7880823

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following"

Start a new discussion in InDesign by email or at Adobe Community

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624.

• 7. Re: Top & Bottom Bleed on vertical facing pages
                      mackerr Level 1

I'll give it a try at the weekend. Thanks again.

• 8. Re: Top & Bottom Bleed on vertical facing pages
                        MrTIFF Level 3

There is also a page dedicated to producing InDesign wall calendars with bleed, at:  Wall Calendar Example | IDImposer | Sterling