3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2006 3:58 AM by Newsgroup_User

cross platform delivery

bac_dir
      Have a Director TechNote from 2003 ( TechNote - http://www.adobe.com/go/tn_14254 ) that says you need Director installed on a Windows machine to produce a windows compatible Projector, and Director installed on a Mac machine to produce a Mac compatible Projector.

Wasn't this before MX 2004? Other stuff I've read isn't telling anything definitive. Can I use a Mac to produce 1 Projector for a Mac and a separate Projector for Windows? Or, is it possible to produce 1 projector file that will run on both Windows and Mac?
      Text

Thanks
        • 1. Re: cross platform delivery
          Level 7
          If you have Director MX 2004, then you can publish 2 separate
          projectors. One of them will work on Mac and the other will work on PC.
          There is no such thing as a binary that will run on both. You can
          also publish as shockwave which will play in any browser that has a
          shockwave plugin. Currently, I believe there are plugins for Shockwave
          available only for Mac and PC.

It is best to have access to at least one of each type of machine you
          are publishing for, to test and such. If you are authoring on a Mac,
          then you should have a test PC that you can make sure things work on.
          And if you are authoring on PC, then you absolutely need a Mac, since
          the publish to Mac option will give you an hqx compressed archive which
          must be uncompressed on a Mac in order to work. That is a problem with
          Windows that prevents it from being as easy as it might be.
          • 2. Re: cross platform delivery
            Level 7

"Mike Blaustein" <mblaustein@gmail.com> wrote in message
            news:elmf9d$ojd$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > If you have Director MX 2004, then you can publish 2 separate projectors.
            > One of them will work on Mac and the other will work on PC. There is no
            > such thing as a binary that will run on both. You can also publish as
            > shockwave which will play in any browser that has a shockwave plugin.
            > Currently, I believe there are plugins for Shockwave available only for
            > Mac and PC.
            >
            > It is best to have access to at least one of each type of machine you are
            > publishing for, to test and such. If you are authoring on a Mac, then you
            > should have a test PC that you can make sure things work on. And if you
            > are authoring on PC, then you absolutely need a Mac, since the publish to
            > Mac option will give you an hqx compressed archive which must be
            > uncompressed on a Mac in order to work. That is a problem with Windows
            > that prevents it from being as easy as it might be.

Hmmm, seems to me that is a problem on the Mac side, no?

• 3. Re: cross platform delivery
              Level 7
              The problem, specifically, is that Macintosh files have a "resource
              fork" which is a hidden part of a file that lets the OS know how to open
              the program. Windows just relies on the file extension. So, if the
              file ends with .doc, Windows knows to open it in Word. A Mac doesn't
              need the file extension, since it looks in the resource fork to find
              out. Anyway, the Windows file system can not handle the Mac resource
              forks, so if you even put the Mac file onto a Windows machine, it
              mangles the resource fork, thus a Mac will no longer know how to open
              the file.

I doubt it would be difficult for Microsoft to fix their handling of
              foreign files, but there is really no incentive for them to make it
              easier for people who use alternative OSes. They want everyone to use
              Windows, and anything to make it appear better is a good thing, right?

Anyway, when you are authoring on a PC and publish a Mac projector,
              Director gets around this problem by adding the resource fork itself and
              then it compresses the file into an hqx archive. That way the actual
              projector never touches the Windows file system. You copy the hqx onto
              a Mac, then uncompress it on a Mac, and it works just fine.