Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RoboHelp9 WebHelp files and Chrome Version 44.0.2403.155

Aug 19, 2015 Aug 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a fix to allow .htm files to display in Chrome? Files are stored locally and I've applied the local fix. Do we need to publish to an FTP site? Your assistance is appreciated!

Beth

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 20, 2015 Aug 20, 2015

Given that the issue is with Chrome that can be stricter than other browsers, it might be worth putting the webhelp on a web server rather than a network server.

Whilst a blank display may be associated with CHMs, it recent years we have also been seeing it with webhelp since the browsers started updating more frequently. Thus it has not been such strange behaviour and I suspect that is behind Captiv8r's comment as, like me, he would no longer associate it just with CHMs.

See www.grainge.org for R

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have same Chrome version, and I can open the index.htm file for a WebHelp project without issue. Can you elaborate upon the issue that you're experiencing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your quick reply. I can open the files locally when the fix is applied (adding allow-file-access-from-files to the end of the target path) but other members in the company reportedly see a blank page when help is opened from the network location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't claim any credit for a prompt reply; I was merely passing through and saw someone that had asked a question.

I just tried copying my WebHelp project to a network location, and I have no issue using Chrome. Might I suggest that network permissions might be preventing your associates from viewing the content?

Just to be clear: If you've posted a CHM file, then default security settings would only allow the CHM content to be viewed locally (i.e., a blank page would result when viewed across a network).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm, not sure I'd have guessed they were attempting to view a CHM with the thread title reading the WebHelp files aren't working.

But your point is certainly valid!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 20, 2015 Aug 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, over the years (since approx. 2006 when Microsoft changed the default browser security settings), a blank display is generally associated with CHM files viewed across a network. For WebHelp that is viewed through a browser, it is strange behaviour to get a blank page, instead of some manner of 404 error. As such, it's worthwhile to confirm with the OP that we're not talking about a CHM file here.

Captiv8r, do you have anything worthwhile to contribute? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm referring to htm files, not .chm. The network location is available to internal staff who are accessing the .htm help files. They have no issues using IE11 but of course, Chrome displays a blank page. Based on my reading, it appears we need a server location (FTP?), rather than a network location. Am I correct? Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Given that the issue is with Chrome that can be stricter than other browsers, it might be worth putting the webhelp on a web server rather than a network server.

Whilst a blank display may be associated with CHMs, it recent years we have also been seeing it with webhelp since the browsers started updating more frequently. Thus it has not been such strange behaviour and I suspect that is behind Captiv8r's comment as, like me, he would no longer associate it just with CHMs.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response. We're going to go with using a web server.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let us know if that does fix the problem.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 24, 2015 Aug 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might want to check out Willam’s site for all the patches that are around for RH9 – see http://www.wvanweelden.eu/articles/robohelp-patches-and-updates

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 24, 2015 Aug 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks to all for your responses! We created a webserver and now the .htm help files display in Chrome!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp