4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2015 10:00 PM by F.Quill

Lightroom is not stable on my Mac OS - keeps losing catalogues/pics- what is the setup trick?

F.Quill

I am a newer user and am on the fifth try to set up a stable, functioning catalogue.  Have a mountain of digital debris - crazy amount of files and photos accumulating.  I know it is not supposed to be this way.  Every second time I go to open Lightroom it says it cannot find the catalogue.  When I go back into the Pictures folder, there are more accumulated files from every time I have attempted to open it.  Then when I finally get a "recent catalogue" opened, in Lightroom, all the photos have the exclamation mark in the top right corner and I have to look for the photo back in my Finder. 

Pretty sure it is not supposed to be that clunky.  I am losing so many hours of what is supposed to be highly-productive work time, with this!  Have read dozens of pages of help sheets - some appear to be dated information - BTW. 

What am I doing wrong?  Any ideas would be appreciated!  Thank-you!

• 1. Re: Lightroom is not stable on my Mac OS - keeps losing catalogues/pics- what is the setup trick?
          manuelaw98189123

Hey dear friend

keep cool and I can tell you only as also noewcomer since now 6 month

have a look to the manual - look to training videos there are very good once from Video2brain and do it step by step

have a look to the online help Adobe Photoshop Lightroom-Hilfe | Lightroom-Hilfe ( sorry is only the German version )

Major thing you have to have in mind :

LIGHTROOM is the MASTER of your files - folders and not your filing system !!!!!!!!!!

The tool is great. I am very satisfied now, because have used APERURE over years and now steped over to LIGHTROOM

My archive is arround 50000 pics

Keep rolling you will get it

Best regards

OP

• 2. Re: Lightroom is not stable on my Mac OS - keeps losing catalogues/pics- what is the setup trick?
            F.Quill Level 1

Thank-you so much OP! 

I am in to it this far and know I will figure it out.  I  appreciate your encouragement and am so looking forward to running Lightroom properly. I am missing a step either in the way I open the catalogue or in the way I exit.  Oddly, the way the help info is set up is, to me, a bit disjointed - as soon as you find important information with a key to the great mystery - it refers you to some other part.  I have seen a masterful catalogue in use - they make it look so easy!

I have greater confidence to know that you are only 6 months in and have 50,000 images.  I have about 10,000, now - growing daily!

Thanks, again!  I speak a few words in German - but cannot write, them.  Hope you have the translation!

All the best to you!

F.

• 3. Re: Lightroom is not stable on my Mac OS - keeps losing catalogues/pics- what is the setup trick?
              trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

F.Quill wrote:

Lightroom it says it cannot find the catalogue.  When I go back into the Pictures folder, there are more accumulated files from every time I have attempted to open it.  Then when I finally get a "recent catalogue" opened, in Lightroom, all the photos have the exclamation mark in the top right corner and I have to look for the photo back in my Finder. 

It looks like you are moving or renaming the LR catalog(s) and pictures from outside LR using Windows Explorer or Mac Finder. This causes LR to "lose" the catalog and pictures, since you've moved them or given them a different name. Most users only need one (1) Lightroom catalog for all of their image files. There is no need to use multiple catalogs unless you are a pro working on multiple customer projects or have more than 200,000+ image files.

Rule #1: All image file and folder renaming, moving, and deleting must be done from inside LR's Library module to prevent this from happening.

Rule #2: Don't rename files and folders to "organize" your image files. Instead assign keywords, ratings, and create Collections. You can then use LR's filter bar to find specific images by these keywords and ratings. I import my image files with no renaming into a single folder with YYYY MM DD date for the photo shoot. That's all you need!

Plenty of tutorials here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/tutorials.html

Start with 'Get Started' and then work to the right.

LR 6/CC User manual here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/pdf/lightroom_reference.pdf

Lightroom Rule #5: Enjoy!

• 4. Re: Lightroom is not stable on my Mac OS - keeps losing catalogues/pics- what is the setup trick?
                F.Quill Level 1

Hello trshaner!

Thanks so much for the informative links!  I was using the wrong approach, entirely, to set this up.  For some reason, I thought it operated as a sort-of independent library application - independent of my operating system (Mac OS X).  That was my first mistake. 

Since my post, yesterday, I have stabilized Lightroom and the files within.  Now, I just have to work on what I have done to create so much of what I call "digital debris" on my Mac.  I will make a study of all the links you provided.  Lightroom is a beautiful application - I have seen a working example of it at its best - it is fabulous! 

I like your Rule #5 the best!  Looking forward to being there!

Really appreciate the help!

All the best!

F.Quill