3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2015 5:07 PM by Steve Werner

Create a Dynamic Menu on Every Page

kndh1369

I am hoping to be able to create a user manual with a menu on every right hand page. This menu would show all of the large headers, and, when in a particular section, display that section's sub headers. For those who have seen the development/back end side of wordpress, I am trying to mimic their menu. 

I know I can easily just add a TOC without numbers into the master page and just highlight per page manually, but that still doesn't solve my problem of the sub sections. I don't want subsections visible until I am in the parent section.

If that is too complex, I could settle for having a standalone subsection toc that responds to where it is. (i.e. it the toc would change based on the page because of the parent subsection).

Thanks in advance!

-Kat

• 1. Re: Create a Dynamic Menu on Every Page
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It sounds like you should be using another application like Muse for publishing online.

But you haven't said how you want to publish it. Will this be in EPUB, via Publish Online (new in CC 2015), in PDF, in DPS?

• 2. Re: Create a Dynamic Menu on Every Page
            kndh1369 Level 1

It will be a print format, not digital.

The menu needs to be responsive because this is going to be a customizable manual. I will take the full version, with all of the possible subsections, and remove what is not relevant to the client - saving it as a new version for them. I want each page to reflect that via the side menu without having to redo the menus on every page each time I create a new version for a client.

Which of course, would be easy if I wanted the full toc on each page, but I just want the main sections and the current section's subsections. 

• 3. Re: Create a Dynamic Menu on Every Page
              Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

How many versions of the manual will be produced? What version of InDesign are you using.

If it's a reasonably small number, you might investigate Conditional Text. You can read about it in InDesign Help.