4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2015 11:18 AM by sartora1

Lightroom Catalog help needed

sartora1

My boss recently shot a lot of photos in Europe for a client. There are about 20 folders full of images. She went through the first 10 folders in Lightroom, and made selections of the ones she wanted me to work on using the "5 Star" rating system.... She then had to leave for California, and took the remaining 10 folders with her on a separate hard drive to make her selections in those folders, and she is going to mail me back that hard drive... So, my question is, in order to get her selections she makes on the external drive into the same LR catalog I've already made at the office, would it be better to send her the LR Catalog file, and for her work off the same one, even though she won't have to first half of the images with her? Would that still work? -- Or would it work better if she made a new catalog, and would I then be able to merge the two when I get the drive back? Thanks in advance for any help!

• 1. Re: Lightroom Catalog help needed
          Tanuj Sandal Adobe Employee

Hi sartora,

So in order to get the selections from the catalog that is with your boss,one way is that you can ask her to send you the catalog, as all the star rating are stored in the catalog.

However you would need the remaining 10 folders as well, because if you merge the 2 catalogs, the remaining 10 folders would show questions marks.

Or what you can do is that you can wait for her to be back and then get the catalog and the folders from her and merge the catalog with your catalog.

And you should be able to get all the ratings in one catalog.

Please let us know if it helps.

Regards,

Tanuj

• 2. Re: Lightroom Catalog help needed
            sartora1 Level 1

Tanuj,

Thank you very much for the reply.

I do have the remaining 10 folders here at the office. My boss just copied those folders onto a drive to take with her. So if she sends me the new catalog she creates for those remaining folders back, I can then merge that new catalog with the existing one here, with everything staying in tact? Meaning, whatever changes she makes in the new LR catalog, if I then merge it with the existing one here at the office, I should be able to see her selections, star ratings, edits, etc., as long as I have the same original RAW files to direct LR to?

• 3. Re: Lightroom Catalog help needed
              Tanuj Sandal Adobe Employee

That is correct, you will be able to see the changes that she has made to the catalog once you merge the catalog.

Regards,

Tanuj

• 4. Re: Lightroom Catalog help needed
                sartora1 Level 1

Thank you very much for your help!