14 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2015 1:59 PM by A.T. Romano

What project settings do I use in Adobe Premiere Elements 10 for a wmv file?

Frustrated Fred Level 1

I have used Adobe Premiere Elements 10 for a long time using AVCHD format and it always works great.  Now I have a new project to capture a video of an application on my PC. I am wanting to discuss how it works in real time.  I am using NCH Debut for the screen capture.  I have used a variety of formats, but when I load into Adobe the quality is awful.  I am very confused about which Project Settings to use, but none seem to work.  I have tried several different capture formats, but I am told that the best one is wmv. I find it no better than any of the others.  It always plays fine using my VLC player, but then when I load into Adobe, it becomes very fuzzy while trying to play.  I think the problem is with the project settings, but I have tried many with no success.  It seems like there should be an easier way to just record, import, and play.  Looking for help!!

• 1. Re: What project settings do I use in Adobe Premiere Elements 10 for a wmv file?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

frustrated fred

The principle for setting the project preset remain the same for AVCHD (video compression) or Windows Media Video 9.wmv.

You set the project preset to match the properties of the source file.

What you describe typically targets the screen capture program and what you want to export from it and what it will allow you to export from it.

Let us start with the full properties of what you are importing into your Premiere Elements 10 project

Video compression

Audio compression

Frame Size

Frame Rate (progressive?)

File extension

Pixel Aspect Ratio

What is your intended export - export to file saved to the computer hard drive or burn to disc?

Where does the reference to wmv come in....is that the file extension of what you are importing or is it the file extension of the file that you will export?

Any questions or need clarification, please ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: What project settings do I use in Adobe Premiere Elements 10 for a wmv file?
            Frustrated Fred Level 1

Thanks for your help.

I am using a fast Windows 7 PC with 12 GB of ram and 64 bit.  I am capturing an application running on the PC and also a website that I am viewing in Chrome.  I am using NCH Debut to capture.  They support many formats and they tell me to try wmv.  I am capturing into a file on my PC and I can play it back fine in VLC.  I then take and create a new project in Adobe and select the project settings (which completely confuses me and I am guessing the problem.)  I import the file and play it within Adobe.  The quality rendered is bad.  After I edit it, I will save it as a flv file on my PC and then upload it to Vimeo.

I currently use a similar procedure to create a church video that I post on Vimeo every week.  It is recorded from a camera onto an SD card.  It is an AVCHD file and I use the format AVCHD Lite 720P30 and it always works great.  The NCH application doesn't provide an AVCHD format choice.

Per VLC the format of my file is:

Codec Windows Media Video 9 (WMV3)

Resolution  848 X928

Display Resolution  848 X 910

Frame Data  30.000030

Decode Format:  Planar 4:2:0 YUV

Audio--Although my audio is fine

WMA2

Sample rate 44100 Hz

Bits per sample  32

I hope this is enough data for you. If you need more, perhaps I can get more from the recording app.   thanks again. 

• 3. Re: What project settings do I use in Adobe Premiere Elements 10 for a wmv file?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

frustrated fred

There is no project preset for your 848 x 910 wmv captures which are atypical for Premiere Elements project settings. What is that 848 width x 910 height or 910 width and 848 height.

Premiere Elements is 4:3 or 16:9 and yours are neither.

1. Can you change the resolution of your screen captures to 640 x 480 4:3 or 1280 x 720 16:9? What look are you seeking - your images full frame or your images with black borders?

2. Capture quality. From what I have read about your capture software, it does offer H.264 video compression.

Debut Video Capture Software - My Debut video recording is blurry

That is very good. But, it looks like it offers it only with the .avi file extension. H.264.avi will not import into Premiere Elements. Is there any way to get a H.264.mp4 from your capture software. Adds more work, but you could explore capturing your video as H.264.avi and then trying to convert it into H.264.mp4 in the free HandBrake program. https://handbrake.fr/

If HandBrake cannot do the conversion to H.264.mp4, then try VCL Player which has video conversion feature.

VideoLAN - Official page for VLC media player, the Open Source video framework!

Now back to what you have which appears to be a Windows Media Video 9.wmv.

1. You set the project preset for NTSC DV Standard in the Premiere Elements 10 New Project dialog.

2. You import the wmv into the project and drag it to the Timeline workspace's Video 1. You hit the Enter key to "Timeline Render" the content. That gives you the best possible preview of what you are seeing in the Edit area monitor. What does that look like?

How did you plan on exporting the Timeline content so that others might view it?

Please consider, and we can discuss the pros and cons on how to proceed.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: What project settings do I use in Adobe Premiere Elements 10 for a wmv file?
                Frustrated Fred Level 1

A.T.,  I really appreciate the help.  You have given me ideas on many things to try, but let me run some things by you first.

1. I tried the last thing you suggested.  I used the NTSC DV Standard in the Project Settings.  I used my sample file and went through the rendering process as you suggested.  I have never done this before.  Is this a good idea for all of the files??  At any rate it didn't work any better, so...

2. I looked at the Debut program and it has many formats and settings.The reason that I used the resolutin setting that I did is that it is a default preset, but I can change that for all of the formats I think.  One of the choices is 1280 X 720 HD 720P and another choice is 640 X 480 TV NTSC.  I would guess that I should pick the first one.  Is that correct?

3.  The Debut capture application has many format choices.  I don't really care which one I use as long as it has the best chance of giving me good results.  Let me mention 4 of them.  I have tried all 4, but only using the default settings.  Not good results with defaults.

a. wmv--I used wmv9, but they also have a wmv9 Screen.  Have not tried the screen one.

b. avi--it has encoder options of H.264 (Native), MPEG4 (Native), and DV Encoder NTSC Direct Show among others.

c. flv  I mention this one because I normally use flv as my Adobe output file. I then upload it to Vimeo.  Choices of H.264 and FLV1.

d. MP4  Encoder options of H264 & MPEG4

I am happy to try whatever you think would work the best.  Probably will not get it done tonight however, but tomorrow.

Thanks so much.

• 5. Re: What project settings do I use in Adobe Premiere Elements 10 for a wmv file?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

frustrated fred

Thanks for the reply with additional details.

I had some major computer monitor malfunctions tonight that prevented me from replying sooner. Now it is after midnight here.

First thing in the morning morning I will comment in depth on suggested steps in moving forward with your workflows.

Right now I am think

a. go with the 1280 x 720p30 workflow

b. try for H.264.mp4 from the screen capturing program....stay away from H.264.avi.

c. export Timeline content to AVCHD.mp4...

We need to discuss uploading to Social Websites using Premiere Elements built in features versus exporting the Timeline content to file. And, then uploading that file from the hard drive save location to YouTube at the YouTube web site.

If you get back to your thread before I do, please try some captures at 720p and with the suggested video formats.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: What project settings do I use in Adobe Premiere Elements 10 for a wmv file?
                    Frustrated Fred Level 1

ATR,

It seems very logical to go with the 1280 by 720P workflow, but when I do the original recording degrades.  I have just been recording the selected area of my application and when I do that, the Debut application creates a custom resolution. That recording looks very good using VLC, but then it looks awful when I export it into "Adobe.  I am guessing that Adobe doesn't like the custom resolution, but NCH find it to be best. 

I am confused by your comment c.  Does this relate to saving the final edited product in Adobe?  Does this sort of override the Project setting when I start?  What project settings should I use?

I didn't realize that this could be so confusing and difficult.  There are just so many settings that all interrelate.

Again,

I really appreciate the help.

• 7. Re: What project settings do I use in Adobe Premiere Elements 10 for a wmv file?
                      Frustrated Fred Level 1

ATR 

I have done some more work on this and am reporting in.  In NCH Debut, I set to record MP4-H264 as you suggested.  I also set the capture to exactly a 1280 by 720 screenshot and recorded a sample in the high quality setting.  In viewing the recording in both WM and in VLC I get a stunningly good picture. In reviewing the settings in VLC my spec is Codec H264-MPEG-4 AVC (part 10) (avc1). The resolution is 1280 X738 and the display resolution is 1280 X 720. The frame rate is 27.667103 and the decode format is Planar 4:2:0 YUV. 

I then import into Adobe and use the format NTSC DV Widescreen 48 kHz.  I rendered as you explained. and then played.  Not good.  I did the same proceedure with NTSC-Hard Disk-Wide Screen and also NTSC-AVCHD-AVCHD Lite 720P30.  None of them produced good quality results. 

If you want, I could record a very short sample using these same settings and send it to you.  The file I am getting is very large, but I could make the sample very short.  I am trying to pick of the text of my application and that seems to be a challenge.

• 8. Re: What project settings do I use in Adobe Premiere Elements 10 for a wmv file?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Frustrated Fred

Thanks for the reply.

If your source is 1280 x 720 16:9, then you want a project preset to make those settings. You do not want NTSC DV Widescreen.

When it comes to export, you have more flexibility in the export settings, although keep to 16:9 workflow throughout.

It would be very helpful at this point if you could send a sample of your 1280 x 720 from your screen capturing program.

You can do that by posting a Dropbox or Google Drive link to the sample in a reply in your thread. Since this is a public forum, please do not include anything in the video that would invade your privacy.

In the past, I have posted how to use Google Drive for this purpose. Do you need that type of how to use Google Drive information? I will post that information again if needed.

Thanks.

ATR

• 9. Re: What project settings do I use in Adobe Premiere Elements 10 for a wmv file?
                          Frustrated Fred Level 1

ATR,

Yes, please post the Google Drive stuff.  I will create a small sample and then post.

Thanks,

Fred

• 10. Re: What project settings do I use in Adobe Premiere Elements 10 for a wmv file?
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Fred

Thanks for the opportunity to examine your video sample for keys to the solution for your Premiere Elements issue.

Please see my post 9 in the following thread in order to obtain the how to for using the Google Drive link for the sending.

Frame Size Issue/Frustrating Black Bars

ATR

• 12. Re: What project settings do I use in Adobe Premiere Elements 10 for a wmv file?
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Fred

Great job with the Google Drive sample sending link. Lots for me to offer based on my work with the sample on Premiere Elements 13/13.1 Windows 7 64 bit.

Overview

Good news. Your sending represented 1280 x 720 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second AVCHD.mp4 video (bitrate = 1241 Kbps (kilobits per second)

Not so good news. If you were letting the project automatically set the project preset for you, it was not doing it correctly based on its analysis of the import. It could not because your video was recorded with a variable, rather than constant, frame rate. The MediaInfo readings for the frame rate are

minimum frame rate = 3.7050 frames per second

frame rate = 29.156 frames per second

maximum frame rate = 30.000 frames per second

Bottom line on this point: project is likely giving you 1080i30 project settings instead of 720p30 project settings, and Premiere Elements has general import and audio sync problems with a source video recorded with variable frame rate. Are there any screen capture program settings to turn off variable frame rate option so that the capture records with a constant frame rate?

When indicated, you set the project preset manually instead of letting the project set it automatically using the following routine

• Open the project to the Expert workspace, and go to File Menu/New Project and Change Settings.
                                • In Change Settings, set the project preset to match the properties of the source media. OK out of there.
                                • In the New Project dialog that opens, rename the project and make sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project". OK out of there.
                                • Back in the Expert workspace, import your source media using Add Media/ choice.

To Do Specifics

1. Open a new project and set the project preset for NTSC/AVCHD/AVCHD LITE 720p30

2. In the Expert workspace

a. Go to Edit Menu/Preferences/General and set the Timeline Rendering Quality = High quality, Slow speed.

3. Import your AVCHD.mp4 from the screen capture program directly into the project. Once the file is on the Timeline, right click the Edit area monitor, select Playback Quality, and then click on Highest.

4. Timeline render the Timeline content if there is an orange line over the Timeline content. When there is no orange line over the Timeline content, then playback that Timeline in the Edit area monitor...regular and Full Screen views. What does that look like?

5. Export the Timeline content to Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with Presets = MP4 HD720p24  (under the Advanced Button of the preset, change the frame rate to 30 frames per second). Leave the bitrate as is for now. What does that look like Full Screen using your player independent of Premiere Elements?

Depending on how that goes - video and audio-wise, repeat the above but only after you have taken your AVCHD.mp4 from the screen capture into the free HandBrake to get the H.264.mp4 with constant frame rate version to take into the Premiere Elements project.

https://handbrake.fr/

Lots to consider. But any questions or need clarification going through the above, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 13. Re: What project settings do I use in Adobe Premiere Elements 10 for a wmv file?
                                Frustrated Fred Level 1

ATR

I was confused by some of the early comments of the last email, but I kept going and the To Do Specifics was great except for 2a which I ended up ignoring.  The bottom line is it works and it looks great.  I did download the Handbrake app and I will run my files through that.  I did a couple already and that seems to work fine.

Thanks so much for you help.  I am a novice at this and I couldn't have done it without your help.

Fred

• 14. Re: What project settings do I use in Adobe Premiere Elements 10 for a wmv file?
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Fred

Thanks for the update with the great news that your Premiere Elements workflow is now giving you good quality video outputs. Well done.

Right now, it sounds like you are in a good place with your workflow and are comfortable with it.

When and if you ever need more clarification on your Premiere Elements work, please do not hesitate to ask.

Best wishes

ATR