12 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2016 4:23 AM by dj_paige

Changes to Raw Files disappear when Importing Images from External Drive

benw12341984 Level 1

I use three external drives to copy my files to after processing a job. I then delete the original job off my laptop hard drive. When I need to access those files again, I typically then re-import files into lightroom and work off the external hard drive. I've used this system for years without a problem. Recently I've found that when I go to import files from the external hard drive, my changes are no longer there. The .xmp files are there and I've checked to make sure that the box is checked to write the changes to the .xmp file. I've narrowed it down to two possible problems. It may be an issue with the hard drive as it seems to have started when I purchased two new drives (listed below). I've also noticed that it seems to happen to Canon .CR2 raw files and not Nikon .NEF raw files. Has anyone had this issue or have any suggestions?

Here are the Specs:

Macbook Pro 2010

Lightroom 5.7

Backup Drive 1: LaCie d2 Quadra v3 4TB External Hard Drive (my primary drive)

Backup Drive 2: LaCie d2 Quadra v3 4TB External Hard Drive

Backup Drive 3: LaCie Rugged Hard Disk Triple 1 TB USB 3.0 Firewire 800 (2x) Portable Hard Drive 301984

• 1. Re: Changes to Raw Files disappear when Importing Images from External Drive
          ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

There is a good chance that the XMP files do not contain all your edits.

Re-importing is not a good option.

From inside of LR, in the Folders panel, relocate or "find missing" the deleted folders by pointing to the external drive(s).

• 2. Re: Changes to Raw Files disappear when Importing Images from External Drive
            JeffersM Level 1

I have the same question.  I want to import my archive of Canon .CR2 files with external corrections made, which are contained in .XMP sidecar files.  The historic editing info contained in the .XMPs is being ignored on importing the .CR2s into Lightroom. 

I understand the advantages of .DNG files, but I have also seen concerns regarding unique data about the camera and lens being lost if the Canon .CR2 is abandoned in favour of .DNG, for example when re-editing by external software such as DxO OpticsPro.

I can save any new changes made inside LightRoom out to .XMP sidecars, but that is not the point.  I'd like to preserve all my historic editing on import.

I don't believe my soft/hardware setup is an issue, but for info I'm using Lightroom CC, OS X and various hard drives, including LaCie.

Any ideas?

• 3. Re: Changes to Raw Files disappear when Importing Images from External Drive
              dj_paige Level 9

jeffersm wrote:

I have the same question. I want to import my archive of Canon .CR2 files with external corrections made, which are contained in .XMP sidecar files. The historic editing info contained in the .XMPs is being ignored on importing the .CR2s into Lightroom.

Are you sure the editing information is actually in the XMP files before you import into Lightroom? Have you actually looked inside the .xmp files by opening them with a text editor (any text editor) to see if the edits are there? After importing into Lightroom, have you tried the menu command Metadata->Read Metadata from Files?

The whole idea of writing edits to .xmp (or to a DNG file) and then deleting the photos from Lightroom, then re-importing later is, in my opinion, a crazy idea. You are creating more work for yourself than if you simply leave the photos in Lightroom, and it opens up the possibilities like this where something goes wrong.

• 4. Re: Changes to Raw Files disappear when Importing Images from External Drive
                Jim Wilde Level 5

It's not clear to me which program created those XMP sidecars "with external corrections". If it was anything other than Lightroom or ACR then you're likely not going to be able to see those edits in Lightroom, as it would not understand the edit instructions.

So could you clarify what the "external corrections" are?

• 5. Re: Changes to Raw Files disappear when Importing Images from External Drive
                  dj_paige Level 9

Good point, Jim. Maybe Lightroom created the xmp sidecar files, which is why the user expects to see the Lightroom edits, and some other program created its own xmp files, thereby overwriting (and erasing) the Lightroom edits.

• 6. Re: Changes to Raw Files disappear when Importing Images from External Drive
                    JeffersM Level 1

Apologies, my post was misleading, I meant .DOP, not .XMP.

I edit noise and geometry in DxO OpticPro v11 and it is my DxO .DOP files i'm interested in, which do contain all the editing information from a DxO session - without them my .CR2s return to their un-edited state.  My archive contains many edited .CR2 with associated .DOP files.  I want to use LR to put some order into my archive of images.

DxO (v11) does outline a workflow where Canon .CR2 imported into LR are exported to DxO for editing.  Any changes are then imported back to LR as a .DNG file and put into a stack with my original .CR2. 

However, If I import an already edited .CR2 (of which I have many), even if i convert to .DNG at import, none of the edits are retained.  Is their a way I can retain my historic editing when importing to LR?

• 7. Re: Changes to Raw Files disappear when Importing Images from External Drive
                      Bob Somrak Level 5

The HISTORY steps in the develop panel are NOT saved in the XMP file so the only history step will be IMPORT with no evidence that any editing was done.  Although I agree with DJ_PAIGE that it is better to leave your photos in LR and not have to reimport, your reimport method should work if you are careful to save the metadata to file before you delete the files from LR.

• 8. Re: Changes to Raw Files disappear when Importing Images from External Drive
                        dj_paige Level 9

I edit noise and geometry in DxO OpticPro v11 and it is my DxO .DOP files i'm interested in, which do contain all the editing information from a DxO session - without them my .CR2s return to their un-edited state.  My archive contains many edited .CR2 with associated .DOP files.  I want to use LR to put some order into my archive of images.

As stated above, the edits done by DxO, stored in .DOP files, will not show up in Lightroom via this method. DxO would have to create a TIF with the edits baked in for you to see the DxO edits in Lightroom.

DxO (v11) does outline a workflow where Canon .CR2 imported into LR are exported to DxO for editing. Any changes are then imported back to LR as a .DNG file and put into a stack with my original .CR2.

I am not aware of the workflow you mention, however, as far as I know (and I'm happy to be corrected), it is impossible to use either RAW or DNG for this purpose, as Lightroom cannot read the DxO edits and apply them to the photo.

• 9. Re: Changes to Raw Files disappear when Importing Images from External Drive
                          JeffersM Level 1

You use the File>Plug-in Extra command to transfer to DxO.  DxO then exports the edited file to a collection in LR and stacks it with the original, which seems to work fairly seamlessly. 

Re my archive, one way is to import, then export key images from LR back to DxO, where the .CR2 meets up with the old .DOP and regains all its previous edits.  Then export it back to LR as a .DNG.  However, that could take me a while... on the other hand its a workflow I could get used to and I preserve my old Canon RAW files.

I'm a LR beginner, so on a steep learning curve.  I want to get my head round the processes and workflow before committing to creating a digital swamp for myself.  I think understanding and preparation are key. 

• 10. Re: Changes to Raw Files disappear when Importing Images from External Drive
                            dj_paige Level 9

Can you perform the editing of noise and geometry in Lightroom and skip DxO entirely? I have not tried to compare the two softwares for their noise and geometry ability, but it certainly is a lot simpler.

• 11. Re: Changes to Raw Files disappear when Importing Images from External Drive
                              JeffersM Level 1

The import/export workflow between LR and DxO certainly works - my CR2s are preserved and DNGs get created in the process. 

I've not yet found a way to hook up with my old .DOP files, unless I go back to my archive and re-export as DNGs or TIFs.  The neatest solution would be for the next version of LR to seamlessly import the DOPs alongside the CR2s.  LR and DxO do seem to have become much closer companions in their latest versions.

As an LR novice I am still playing with Catalogues and Collections and familiarising myself how files get named and stored.  A background in databases gives me a good foundation.  Then I can explore the new features Lr has to offer.

• 12. Re: Changes to Raw Files disappear when Importing Images from External Drive
                                dj_paige Level 9

LR will not read or use .DOP files, and I would be be willing to bet that future versions will not either. I see no evidence whatsoever that Adobe is willing to make their software work with competitor's products.

The workflow should be: use the Edit In command from Lightroom, create a TIF, do the work in DxO and then save the results so Lightroom can use them. No exporting in this case. Or, as I said, do it all in Lightroom.

As an LR novice I am still playing with Catalogues and Collections

So stop playing with catalogs (plural). Make your life simple and use one catalog for all of your photos. Use keywords and other metadata to organize, use collections for specific tasks (like creating a book or webpage).