1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 21, 2015 5:29 AM by j9lazur

InDesign Hangs for Long Periods: Activity Monitor shows CEPHtmlEngine and launchd "failing to respond" during those hangs

j9lazur Level 1

I'm using a MacBook Pro, latest OSX, latest InDesign CC and in the past week or so I've been experiencing some hangs that last a few seconds, some that last a few minutes and some that I have to force quite out of. Tonight I started watching Activity Monitor utility during those hangs and see a process called CEPHtmlEngine whose parent process is InDesign CC. This shows as red/not responding when InDesign does. Makes sense. It's the only process hanging in addition to InDesign.

Does anyone know what this does and if there is anything I can do to fix things? I'm placing a screengrab below of the Activity Monitor windows for InDesign and CEPHtmlEngine. They're not hanging at the moment, but it shows 27 recent hangs-- in case that helps anyone.

Screen Shot 2015-08-20 at 11.37.54 PM.png

Things I've tried:

- restarting

- trashing indesign preferences

Here's what happened after I did those two things:

A hang on the welcome screen (beachball was there with the gray/blue square preloader but the beachball is a like a vampire for screenshots and didn't show up)

beachball-on-welcome.png

And here's what the Activity Monitor looked like.

activity-monitor.png

And to add to the mystery, now that I keep watching Activity Monitor, launchd (1) is also a process not responding during hangs. This seems independent of the CEPHtmlEngine issue, at least in what Activity Monitor is showing me. And it has 71 recent hangs compared to CEPHtml's 27 or so.

Screen Shot 2015-08-21 at 12.26.36 AM.png

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

• 1. Re: InDesign Hangs for Long Periods: Activity Monitor shows CEPHtmlEngine and launchd "failing to respond" during those hangs
          j9lazur Level 1

Posting an update in case this helps anyone else. Problem seemingly resolved. Here's how:

I ended up running disk warrior and got a 54 pg report worth of unrepairable errors. 50 of those pages were due to Extensis' Universal Type Client that an office I do freelance for installed it so I could access their fonts. ~500 Files had resource data that was found to be damaged. I decided to uninstall using instructions and a Terminal script here

http://www.extensis.com/support/knowledge-base/uninstalling-universal-type-client-on-mac-o s-x/

i had to change the default security prefs to allow it.

then indesign wouldn't launch because extensis (utc parent) has a plug in called FMCore that indesign needed during launch -- thinking universal type was still there (indesign didn't know it was uninstalled). and clicking a button to ok the missing extension doesn't work. it's wasn't clickable.

Screen Shot 2015-08-21 at 2.36.01 AM.png

next i uninstalled indesign and reinstalled, trashed prefs. i still encountered the same FMCore problem.

turns out the indesign uninstall/reinstall wasn't needed. i searched my computer for extensis plugins, trashed them all (they were in my indesign, illustrator, pshop app folders). after i trashed those, indesign finally launched with no hangs and seems spry and agile again.

just to be sure all the evil was gone, i used diskwarrior again and am coming up mostly clean.