4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2015 5:29 AM by Steve Grisetti

What is the best HD camcorder to buy, to use in conjunction with Adobe Premiere Elements 13?

danielb4195942

Hi Everybody!

I'm thinking seriously of upgrading my video equipment - specifically my camcorder. At present, I have a Panasonic NV-DS29 camcorder, which runs on Mini DV tape. But lately, I've had x2 Mini DV tapes break on me. Also, because my camcorder is a slightly older model (I bought it in 2002), I cannot directly IMPORT it's footage using Premiere Elements 13. I have to use Windows Movie Maker to do that - this means that footage I've shot in "Cinema" or Widescreen mode is not translated or transferred as such by Windows Movie Maker, so my imported footage actually comes out in a 4:3 aspect ratio square box - not the classic black bars of Widescreen. (Now Roxio COULD do this, but Premiere Elements 13 cannot).

More to the point, I actually have a slight disability, which affects my balance, so that when I shoot and walk, my resulting footage looks like it was shot in an earthquake. So, I'm looking for a camcorder with a great image stabilizer function, anti-shake option. I have also been looking at getting a steadicam rig of some kind...

Anyway, I have done some research on this, and I have narrowed it down to two possible camcorder candidates:

1. The Canon Legria HF G25 or G30
      2. The Panasonic HC-X920, or the model just before that

I have researched both camcorders by looking at reviews on YouTube. The Canon I like because, I've seen the image stabilizer footage in action, plus it has a digital zoom microphone. The downside is, I've never used Canon camcorders before, so I'm not used to them.

The Panasonic HC-X920 I like because, I am familiar with Panasonic camcorders, as my present, existing camcorder is Panasonic. The downside is: I don't need the 3-D function - I don't have 3-D TV, and a slight squint in my right eye, means that 3-D movies don't really work with me, so I don't want to buy something I won't use.

Also, my new camcorder needs to work in harmony with Adobe Premiere Elements 13, meaning that it has to import footage DIRECTLY, either by cable or by inserting a memory card into the PC hard-drive, so that Widescreen footage MEANS widescreen footage, and not my present Windows Movie Maker 4:3 compromise.

Buying a professional new HD camcorder, is an expensive undertaking, so I do WANT TO GET THIS RIGHT. Especially if I want to add other accessories (like microphones or drones) later on. I hope this thread is not too long-winded, but I want to be as specific as possible.

Any advice or tips anybody has, would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

Best wishes,

Daniel Bowes

• 1. Re: What is the best HD camcorder to buy, to use in conjunction with Adobe Premiere Elements 13?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I can't speak for specific models, but in my experience Canon makes some of the best camcorders. And the Legrias are a terrific series. (So is the Vixia consumer line.) You definitely won't go wrong with a Canon Legria!

Any camcorder that shoots in AVCHD will interface perfectly with Premiere Elements 13. So it's not necessary to spend this much to get a great camcorder to edit in this program. But, if you've got the money, this is a very nice one!

• 2. Re: What is the best HD camcorder to buy, to use in conjunction with Adobe Premiere Elements 13?
            whsprague Level 4

With all the respect due to Steve, I disagree!   For as many years as I've been getting his advice here on editing, I've been also participating in another forum that only discusses equipment and almost never editing software.   I own a predecessor of the HC-X920 by a couple years.   Steve helped me figure out AVCHD editing on an earlier version of Premier Elements when HD recording was new!

The conclusions on that camcorder forum are generally that Canon is behind both Sony and Panasonic in the consumer camcorder niche.  The HC-X920 is regarded on that forum as one of the best and last of the HD only cameras.  Everything newer is now including 4K capability.   Premier Elements 13 on a relatively strong computer works well with 4K footage from the current crop of Panasonic, Sony and other brands.

So, my vote goes against Steve's.  I would choose the HC-X920 if those were the only two choices.

Bill

• 3. Re: What is the best HD camcorder to buy, to use in conjunction with Adobe Premiere Elements 13?

A good argument, Bill!

But I don't think there are any wrong answer, when you're dealing with AVCHD. Camcorder technology is better than ever now and, at least as far as high-def video goes, you really can't go wrong with any of the Big Three brands.

Though you make a good point. In the 4K UltraHD world, things are only beginning to evolve.

• 4. Re: What is the best HD camcorder to buy, to use in conjunction with Adobe Premiere Elements 13?
                whsprague Level 4

Steve Grisetti wrote:

A good argument, Bill!

But I don't think there are any wrong answer, when you're dealing with AVCHD. Camcorder technology is better than ever now and, at least as far as high-def video goes, you really can't go wrong with any of the Big Three brands.

Though you make a good point. In the 4K UltraHD world, things are only beginning to evolve.

I agree that you are right with AVCHD 1920x1080.  Everything from cameras, computers, software and TV screens are now well in the system.  And, it can all work together well.  It may be hard to buy a bad camera.

4K may be further along.  The Panasonic GH4 has set a nice standard.  They have several other 4K models that are well recieved.  Sony is not being left behind.  Even Samsung has a couple that are well liked.  4K viewing screens may well be a ways off.  But, editing 4K with a goal of HD output has editing advantages.  

• 5. Re: What is the best HD camcorder to buy, to use in conjunction with Adobe Premiere Elements 13?

Which is why it's always difficult to recommend an objectively "best" camcorder.

It all depends on your needs, goals, resolution requirements and budget.