13 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2016 2:42 PM by Steven Hiatt

Opening files from InDesign 2.0

derbyhaus

Will I be able to open files created in InDesign 2.0 (yes, not CS2, but ye olde 2.0), with the latest InDesign CC?

• 1. Re: Opening files from InDesign 2.0
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I have files going back to 1.5 here that open fine.

• 2. Re: Opening files from InDesign 2.0
            derbyhaus Level 1

Excellent, may I ask a follow up? I'm also upgrading my OS, do you know if I will have any problems opening those same InDesign 2.0 files with Snow Leopard 10.6.3, and the other more recent operating systems? (I'm not going to be able to do all of these upgrades in the same day, but I have some deadlines, so I need make sure that I can keep working during this updating process...)

• 3. Re: Opening files from InDesign 2.0

Nothing later than CS6 will run on Snow Leopard and I strongly encourage you to do a clean install of the operating system.

O/S should have no bearing on the files themselves. I created the 1.5 file on Windows NT way back in the day. Running Windows 10 and Yosemite now and they open fine in InDesign CC2015.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Opening files from InDesign 2.0
                derbyhaus Level 1

"nothing later than CS6" ... meaning no earlier versions will run on Snow Leopard, like CS5 or CS3? Because to that end, I have CS3 for Photoshop and Illustrator. I'm like many designers, I need the trifecta to do what I do, InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop. 

• 5. Re: Opening files from InDesign 2.0

Creative Cloud versions will not install on Snow Leopard. CS3-CS6 should be okay.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Opening files from InDesign 2.0
                    derbyhaus Level 1

Oh, I see! Thank you so much! :-)

• 7. Re: Opening files from InDesign 2.0
                      Steven Hiatt Level 1

Hi Bob,

I see that you've opened InDesign 1.5 files. Was that with CS6?

I just got a call from an old client who would like to reissue a book that I did for them 15 years ago. I still have the old InDy 1.5 files (I'll have to get them copied off a zip drive...)--are there any tricks to opening the files using CS6 (I have CC 2015 as well, but I'm assuming that might be a bridge too far.)

Thanks!

Steven Hiatt

• 8. Re: Opening files from InDesign 2.0

File > Open

There is no trick. It just works.

• 9. Re: Opening files from InDesign 2.0
                          Steven Hiatt Level 1

That’s good news! Thanks very much.

Steve

• 10. Re: Opening files from InDesign 2.0
                            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

As a safety precaution, after you open the files in CS6 the first thing you should do is export to IDML then open that and resave for editing under a new name. Whatever you do, DON'T overwrite the original files with a newer version.

• 11. Re: Opening files from InDesign 2.0
                              Steven Hiatt Level 1

An update: I opened the InDesign 1.5 files in CS6. There was a odd spread in behavior. A number of them opened fine, but all the text was in Body Text+, rather than CN [for chapter number], etc. The styles were all available in the Paragraph Styles list, but the text paragraphs had lost their tag connections and had reverted to Body Text. And all tables had converted to tab-delimited paragraphs. However, italics remained, as did footnote reference numbers. In other chapters, some text tags were preserved--eg, X for extracts--but not others. The pics were all in their correct places, and the layout design was intact. In still other chapters, the paragraph styles seemed to be well-preserved. Weird. So, I can't say that it just works, but it does work well enough with some effort.

• 12. Re: Opening files from InDesign 2.0
                                Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

BobLevine wrote:

Creative Cloud versions will not install on Snow Leopard. CS3-CS6 should be okay.

FWIW: On one of my machines I have CS3 to CS6 running on OSX 10.6.8.
                                And also InDesign CC v9.3.0. Together with other CC apps.

CC 2014 will not run. You'll need OSX 10.7.5 or above.
                                CC 2015 will not run. It will require OSX 10.9 or above.

Uwe

• 13. Re: Opening files from InDesign 2.0
                                  Steven Hiatt Level 1

Good advice. Here's a bit more, from my experience.

When you open the old InDesign 1.5 etc. file in InDesign CS6, you may be asked if you want to update the links.

Don't update the links automatically by clicking Yes in this splash panel.

I made the mistake of doing so. As a result, the files I opened were missing occasional bits of text--runs of up to several paragraphs (all had been part of the same imported Word file, so not linked to different import sources). Also: some of the imported text reflected earlier versions (randomly so), as though Indy was picking up original text but ignoring the edits that had been made subsequent to archiving the final version. Very iffy behavior on InDesign's part.

It's best to /not/ update the links when first opening the file and instead doing any updating that's necessary individually as you review the imported file.