1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 21, 2015 12:39 PM by David W. Goodrich

Problems with Hyperlinks in Indesign Cs6

kingkuma Level 1

Hello, I would appreciate some help. I have trying to link specific text in an indesign document.

I am working with text provided me like

Look at a map of Virginia’s waterways < http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/environmental_education/documents/wshedsclr.pdf >and determine which streams are near you and where they drain. The name of the basin where water drains in your region is called your watershed.

So after editing this text it should look and perform like this:

Look at a map of Virginia’s waterways and determine which streams are near you and where they drain. The name of the basin where water drains in your region is called your watershed.

I use the Text> Hyperlink & Cross References> New Hyperlink

I entered the text http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/environmental_education/documents/wshedsclr.pdf for the url.

I created the pdf and my text is blue but there is no link.

If I leave text as is, leaving the url in place and try linking the text only like this....

Look at a map of Virginia’s waterways < http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/environmental_education/documents/wshedsclr.pdf >and determine which streams are near you and where they drain. The name of the basin where water drains in your region is called your watershed.

The resulting PDF does not have a link but teh URL that Is in the document that I did not touch is now a hyperlink and working instead of the link text I selected in indesign.

Indesign will allow me to check the text in several ways and in story mode there are links around the text. In the Hyperlinks pop up box I can select the text I am trying to link and it will display the correct detail in the edit hyperlink box.

With all of this in mind. I thought I was doing the hyperlinks in correctly so I started a new document and created a link from scratch... well that worked just fine.

test link

So it seems to me that something is happening to the links that are in the document. Just for reference there are like 20 of these in the document done worked as intended.

• 1. Re: Problems with Hyperlinks in Indesign Cs6
          David W. Goodrich Level 3

I'm not sure I digested all this, but there are two quirks about getting active URLs from ID into PDFs.  The first is that during export you need to be sure that in the Export menu you click the Hyperlinks box under Include.

The second is that by default, Acrobat and Adobe Reader both try to interpret text that looks like a URL as a clickable link.  You can turn this behavior off locally under preferences, but obviously you cannot control this for software on others' machines.  Unfortunately, Reader and Acrobat's interpretations aren't perfect, and are likely fail when a URL crosses a line break; the text of the link is correct but all the human reader gets is a 404 bad link error.  Making a real link prevents this -- but then you have to be sure it is included when you generate the PDF.

David