1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 3, 2009 8:34 PM by Michael Borbor

Where should Clueless Newbies post?

hsfrey
      As a clueless Newbie, who has just managed to install the flex sdk and get it to work on a sample program, I'd like to know where should I post my really stupid basic questions? Do you have a special forum for those?

Like: Is there ever any advantage to using the generated actionscript instead of the .swf file?
      And: What program handles .as files? Do I feed them to the mxmlc compiler?
      My browser certainly doesn't know what to do with them, even though they seems to be like javascript.
        • 1. Re: Where should Clueless Newbies post?
          Michael Borbor Level 4
          Hi there, because you're a newbie you should probably learn better using the Flex Builder, you can download a trial, use it for 60 days and if you're a student or teacher you can get a license for free. AS you stated you're very new to Flex so your best help will be google, most of the times you'll find the answer to what you need in a somebody's blog or a previous post.

All of your actionscript classes or mxml files are compiled into a swf in order to be "play" withing flash player if it's meant to be for the web browser. And most of the times the generated actionscript is useful when you wanna know the inner workings of the Flex SDK.

And finally .as files are actionscript files that are based on the ECMA standard so it looks a little bit like javascript, and you can open .as files using Flash CS3 or better, Flex 2 or 3, or any other actionscript editor that you like.

Hope this could help you.