1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 22, 2015 3:02 AM by cc_merchant

After Effects and Premier Pro on laptop

jaygles

Hi

I'm looking at ordering a new laptop through work for video editing and creating animations. I'll have to work with the equipment for a number of years so I really don't want to get this wrong.

I am not sure on the best processor, graphics card and so on as there seem to be so many variations and I'm looking for something I can work quite hard. I'd like to have Illustrator, Premier and After Effects (CC) in use simultaneously and be working on something that would deal with this with ease. I don't want to lose loads of time rendering as I do on my current computer and want to make this change of machine really count by getting the best improvement possible.  The current proposed machine is a Macbook Pro with the following specs:

2.5GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 Processor, Turbo Boost up to 3.7GHz

16GB 1600MHz memory

512GB PCIe-based flash storage

Intel Iris Pro Graphic + AMD Radeon R9 M370X

Would this suit my needs?

I've looked at some forums and I keep seeing mentions of Nvidia graphics cards - I'm not really sure if they would have an edge over the above or performance would be similar?

Can the performance of the right laptop match a desktop? A desktop isn't out of the question but with hot-desking a laptop would have many benefits if the performance is right.

Could someone please advise. Is the above suitable? What are the weaknesses in these specs and what would be better?

Thanks very much