6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2015 5:47 AM by A.T. Romano

Premier Elements Video/Graphics Card

mike4183

New to the forum!  I am upgrading to Adobe Photoshop & Premier Elements 13 to edit a pile of videos. I have an I7 board running at 2.66, 10 GB RAM, and 64 bit. My video/graphics card is very low end; I am thinking of the PNY Quadro K620 with 2GB on the card. Do I need 4GB or is 2GB enough?

• 1. Re: Premier Elements Video/Graphics Card
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Premiere Elements actually makes very little use of GPU power, Mike. So, unless you're planning to work in with a higher end effects program, like After Effects, or you are a high-end gamer, either card is much more GPU power than you'll need for editing with this program.

• 2. Re: Premier Elements Video/Graphics Card
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The only reason to use a Quadro card is if you have a (very expensive) 10bit monitor

Since Premiere Elements does not have the Premiere Pro hardware acceleration feature, just about any card will work OK... a card with at least 1Gig of card ram is good for picture editing, but is not heavily used for video

• 3. Re: Premier Elements Video/Graphics Card
              mike4183 Level 1

Steve, thanks! I don't think I need Premier Pro, so I'll stick with a 1GB card.

• 4. Re: Premier Elements Video/Graphics Card
                mike4183 Level 1

John, I appreciate your response! Thanks.

• 5. Re: Premier Elements Video/Graphics Card
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

mike4183

I would call your attention to the September 2014 statement of Adobe's PRE_help on this matter of Premiere Elements 13 Hardware Acceleration and related matters.

Premiere Elements 13 does not support CUDA.

We do support Intel based hardware acceleration on 64-bit Windows installations. If you have the Intel HD Graphics display adaptor, look for the version number. If it is Intel HD Graphics 2xxx, or above (3xxx, 4xxx, 5xxx), the following features are accelerated

1. Rendering

2. Publish/Share (MPEG and AVC presets)

This is governed by a setting in preferences (Edit -> Preferences -> General -> Use Hardware Acceleration... checkbox). It is turned ON by default.

This is only for the mentioned Intel hardware. Even if you have a nVidia/ATI display adaptor that is generally considered "more powerful", the feature will not work unless the supported Intel dsplay adaptor is available.

Regards,

Premiere Elements Team

Please consider.

Thank you.

ATR

Add On...if your computer is not using Intel HD Graphics 2000 and higher video card/graphics card, it often becomes necessary to disable the preference for it in order to avoid some strange plug in dll messages, and export and burn to problems.

• 6. Re: Premier Elements Video/Graphics Card
                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

In other words, Premiere Elements CAN but probably SHOULDN'T do it.

• 7. Re: Premier Elements Video/Graphics Card
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

SG

No in other words. According to Adobe's PRE_help, under the conditions cited, Premiere Elements 13/13.1 does feature Hardware Acceleration as defined by Adobe's PRE_help. Please refer again to copy/paste of that statement in post 5 of this thread.

I entered this thread to point out the Adobe's  PRE_help statement with regard to Hardware Acceleration in Premiere Elements 13/13.1 with regard to Intel HD Graphics 2000 and higher video card/graphics cards, since the thread content seemed to be offering a blanket statement that there is no Hardware Acceleration in Premiere Elements 13/13.1.

Please clarify the point that you were trying to make when you wrote (in response to AT Romano) .

In other words, Premiere Elements CAN but probably SHOULDN'T do it.

ATR