6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2015 3:56 AM by sillybomb

Jaw nutcracker issues

sillybomb Level 1

Hi guys

I'm having some issues with trying to create a Jaw function on a carnivorous-plant type animation.

I don't think the issue is with my layer hierarchy because I am receiving the same problems when I use the provided samples and other templates.

For instance I have tried to use the nutcracker annie.psd file but am receiving no movement. In another instance I am importing a bluebird template that is provided with the popular top 10 tips for character animator video 'Melody.psd' and instead of having the jaw move it is stretching and morphing with my mouth. No gap between top lop and bottom jaw.

The current layout for my carnivore plant is as follows. I am not having great results. The bottom jaw detaches itself and does nothing, sits all alone.  I've used the attachTo code to fix this but I still get no motion with the jaw nutcracker mouth movement.

Any tips or help would be really awesome and thanks in advance.

Screen Shot 2015-08-22 at 8.09.44 pm.pngScreen Shot 2015-08-22 at 8.09.50 pm.png

Screen Shot 2015-08-22 at 8.13.44 pm.png

• 1. Re: Jaw nutcracker issues
          sillybomb Level 1

Okay so I tried again with a completely new project file in Ch and it worked completely fine.

Im not sure where the problematic preference lay because it was affecting all of my characters not just the one.

All of their mouths would scale instead of have the y-position move with the Nutcracker Jaw behaviour. Very bizarre.

So if you're having the same persistent problem scratch your Ch project file and open a new one. It worked for me.

And for the adobe testers I can supply the dud project file if you require it.

• 2. Re: Jaw nutcracker issues
            Dan Ramirez Adobe Employee

"And for the adobe testers I can supply the dud project file if you require it."

Please do. I can take a look and if it's a bug, I can file it and we can fix it.

• 3. Re: Jaw nutcracker issues
              CoSA_DaveS Adobe Employee

Yes, if you could do File > Copy Media Files into Project, and then .zip up the whole project folder and send me a dropbox link or equivalent, we'll try to figure out what went wrong. Thanks!

(You can Undo if you want the project to go back to referencing the source artwork in the original locations.)

• 5. Re: Jaw nutcracker issues
                sillybomb Level 1

wetransfer link supplied above.

• 6. Re: Jaw nutcracker issues
                  CoSA_DaveS Adobe Employee

Thanks for the link. Cute character!

The problem was that you had set the Face behavior Mouth Strength up to 100% (it defaults to zero, so when you started again, you didn't have that problem). The Mouth Strength determines how the scale & position of your mouth maps to the scale & position of your character's mouth. We default it to zero because it tends to look bad when doing mouth-replacement animation, or nutcracker-jaw style. It can be useful if you're doing neither of those.

I also noticed that the stem is fixed in place in the middle, and thus no lower "torso" movement happens. To fix that, create an "Origin" guide layer in PS near the bottom of the stem (though not right on top of "body bottom fixed", just in case one clobbers the other). I think that's a bug, where the default center origin acts like a "Fixed" handle.

• 7. Re: Jaw nutcracker issues
                    sillybomb Level 1

Awesome! Helpful advice and thanks for the Origin tip, I'd been trying to figure exactly that out and ended up giving up on it.