6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2015 12:23 AM by jefvandejumenas

File not read ????? Sometimes yes - sometimes not

jefvandejumenas

Dear LR-members,iMAC 20150818 PrntScrn error photo.jpg

I hope you can help me, because I am getting desperate (step by step).
      First I want apologise if my English is not that good. I am not a native speaker or writer, but I’ll try to do my best.

I am working with LR 6.1.1

I import a lot of photos and I can start working without any problem. Then all of a sudden some photo’s change and turn into the one here under (sometimes it’s half of the photo).

I recently bought an iMac, because I was getting sick of the numerous troubles in Windows.

I thought that this was final the solution ….. but it is getting worse !!!!

I looked things up on the internet and found out that you could do a “Force quit”.

I do it and in LR and in Finder.

But it does not help.
      Sometimes I get a weird photo in LR but still can see the original quite good in Finder sometimes not.

Hereby I give you some print screens of what I mean. They are in the attached PDF file.

Hope somebody can give me the helping golden tip(s).

jef

• 1. Re: File not read ????? Sometimes yes - sometimes not
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The raw data in your photos is corrupted.  Initially in LR, or in some other photo viewers, you see the embedded camera JPG, but after import, LR attempts to create an image from the raw data and you see the bands of color instead of the image you expect when the raw data isn’t all there.

If these problems occurred on Windows and continue to occur on a Mac then then it is either the memory card or maybe the camera, itself.  The easiest and cheapest thing to do is get a new memory card and see if the problems continue.

• 2. Re: File not read ????? Sometimes yes - sometimes not
            jefvandejumenas Level 1

Thnx for the fast reply ssprengel. The amazing thing is that on my other Windows pc I can read this file perfectly and I can manage it in LR. No problem.
            Also after some time it changes. All of a sudden another photo is showing the same outcome and the "handicapped" one is normal. ????

• 3. Re: File not read ????? Sometimes yes - sometimes not
              JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The problem images that you shared indicate that you have a hardware problem somewhere In your system. It could be the card, or the camera, or the cable used to connect the camera, or the card reader or the computer. Since you have a new computer I would suspect that the problem is in one of the other possibilities.

• 4. Re: File not read ????? Sometimes yes - sometimes not
                jefvandejumenas Level 1

Hoi JimHess,

thnx!

But how to explain when I use the same card ... it works on Windows and not on the Mac???

I import the photos on a NAS. From there I work with the photos. I do an import and in  Win No problems. With LR in iMac I got this issue. ???

So I guess there is not a hardware problem but a "software" problem ???

I do not use any cable.

It is just the card reader that reads the card. And that goes to the NAS. It is central. I think if it was a hardware problem, it should give the same issues on no matter which computer I use.

But as I already mention I only get this problem on the iMac. Also did a verify disk and there was no problem !!!

Ans maybe i forget to teel, sometimes after a while the "corrupt" photo all of a sudden becomes NOT corrupt and it behaves like a normal photo.

So still looking forward for the golden tip. And hope someone can help me.
                Already looked for a solution on this forum but couldn't find an answer.

• 5. Re: File not read ????? Sometimes yes - sometimes not
                  ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There’s a hardware problem on the Mac, then.  Where is your camera-raw cache located on the Mac?  Look in LR Preferences.

• 6. Re: File not read ????? Sometimes yes - sometimes not
                    jefvandejumenas Level 1

Morning ssprengel ,

looked it up and found the following items:

Maximum Size:  2,0 GB

Hope this helps. But how to explain that all of a sudden it becomes ok?

jef