4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2015 12:07 PM by starzee

lightroom can't locate photos

starzee Level 1

Lightroom can't locate photos  that i was working on earlier this week. I can see them, access them but not through lightroom. Its like light room just decided to connect to a different folder.

• 1. Re: lightroom can't locate photos
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Do you see previews in Lightroom but are told that the images are missing? Or, are there just not any images? Are there any error messages? Is it possible that you created a new catalog? Can you provide a screenshot of your library module that includes your folder tree?

• 2. Re: lightroom can't locate photos
            starzee Level 1

Thank you for getting back to me. I want to explain I have used Lightroom for years, since it came out I think. I am very aware that moving folders "behind Lightroom's back" is going to result in missing photos. Unless I did something spastic, which is possible, I didn't  move a folder. I only created this catalog a month ago when I decided to take a different direction in photography, so it's new. This occurred after a Yosemite software update. That may be a coincidence.

I am attaching a screen shot. You can see the amount of missing photos, the folders with question marks and the grayed out options. The curious thing is there are two 2014 folders and two 2015 folders. When I navigate to to the folders inside of this catalog there is only one of each and they are the missing ones.

I hope I have explained myself. Thank you for taking the time to help, if you can.Screen Shot 2015-08-23 at 9.00.46 AM.png

• 3. Re: lightroom can't locate photos
              starzee Level 1

Just so you know, I was working on a photo project and it was literally the next day I updated Yosemite and lost the photos.

• 4. Re: lightroom can't locate photos
                ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

Since you have multiple "2015" folders shown as siblings, I would right-click "show parent" on a few of the folders to get the tree view to look more like what it does on disk.

Using Finder, I would check some of the folder permissions.

• 5. Re: lightroom can't locate photos
                  dj_paige Level 9

The folders show a question mark icon and the photos themselves show an exclamation point icon. This means that Lightroom cannot find the folders and photos, they are not in the location that Lightroom expects them to be in. The instructions for fixing this problem are here: Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders

• 6. Re: lightroom can't locate photos
                    starzee Level 1

I don't know how I wound up with multiple 2015 folders. I did find the parent folders as per ManiacJoe and was able to point the way to lightroom to re connect. thank you all for your help.