8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2015 10:19 AM by rob day

numbered list makes every item # 1.)

roncurington Level 1

I've made two list (paragraph style) styles for a recipe page. The first list is a list of ingredients while the second list is a list of instruction. the two different list are styled differently. At first the second list was continuing its numbering from the1st or ingredient list. So I changed the style for the 2nd list to restart at #1. It almost worked except it made every item in the second list #1.

How do I stop it from doing  that?  I would like my list to go 1,2,3,4,5,6 etc. Not1,1,1,1,1, etc.

• 1. Re: numbered list makes every item # 1.)
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You need to define two separate lists (IngedientsList and InsructionsList, or whatever names you choose) and invoke them in the two styles.

• 2. Re: numbered list makes every item # 1.)
            roncurington Level 1

Ok I think I may have worked that one out even though I was already using two different styles.

That being said the next question is "Why does InDesign  insist on adding extra tab / space at item number 10 or somewhere there abouts.

So farthe only way I've found to deal with it is to select the last portion of my list and redefine yet another new style adjusting the tabs. or actually selecting the last half of my list and choosing tab from the

• 3. Re: numbered list makes every item # 1.)
              roncurington Level 1

OK I'm loosing count of how many new klist I've created and I'm still getting a 16 item list of #1.).

Only Adobe could builds something like this.

I mean really WHY WOULD YOU BUILD SOMETHING LIKE THIS?

• 4. Re: numbered list makes every item # 1.)
                roncurington Level 1

The only reason I even took the time to look into InDesign was because I wanted to look into Amazon's KDP platform and You guys have pretty much convinced me to stick wit Microsoft Word or possibly even HTML as that appears to be  a possibility.

In any event the common wisdom seems to run with MSWord and NOT indesign.

• 5. Re: numbered list makes every item # 1.)

Each of your two lists should be set to continue from previous.

There are several strategies for getting the lists to reset. If the recipes are each in a separate story, deselect continue across stories in the list options when you define the list. If it's one giant story, you might get by with one list, three levels, making the two sub lists levels 2 and 3, and including the recipe title as level one in the list, but not display the number (and set it to start at 1), then set the two sublists to reset after any previous level.

• 6. Re: numbered list makes every item # 1.)
                    roncurington Level 1

Ok so far the only thing that seems to work every time consistently is to choose “New List” from the “List” dropdown in the “New Paragraph Style” .> “Bullets & Numbering” then uncheck both check boxes  > OK. This at least seems to begin the numbering new with each new list. The one or should I say the next issue is that at around item #10 it inserts an unwanted tab that I then have to start fighting with ID to get rid of.

In fact The whole list formatting is just another nightmare and I believe It warrants its own thread

• 7. Re: numbered list makes every item # 1.)

I don't do a lot of work with lists, and I'll be the first to tell you they are complex and frustrating.

I suspect your spacing problem comes from not having enough left indent applied in the paragraph style...

• 8. Re: numbered list makes every item # 1.)
                        rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                        The one or should I say the next issue is that at around item #10 it inserts an unwanted tab that I then have to start fighting with ID to get rid of.

I just posted an example in your other thread. Peter's right your Left Indent set in Bullets and Numbering has to be enough to clear 2 digits and the the First Line Indent has to be negative.

how to set tabs on list (formatting)