6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 6, 2015 2:21 PM by dale.shelton

Lightroom 6.x CC Export Inconsistent with Display in Developer:

dale.shelton

Shouldn't an image, exported at 100%,when viewed at the same dimensions next the the source in Developer, be nearly identical (WYSIWYG)?

When I export an image with noise reduction, the exported image is still noisy (grainy), much more so than the image on the screen in Developer when the picture is sized to the same dimensions.  The other edits seem pretty close to what I see in developer.  What I did was simply to export and open the image in a viewer, resized it to the same dimensions, and took a side by side screenshot.  I don't know if Developer is displaying 100% nor the viewer, but if they are the same dimensions, my expectation is that the images would be nearly identical, certainly to my untrained eye.  Unfortunately, there is a significant difference.  I tried using the noise reduction via graduated filter too.  Same export results.  The original image is scanned at about 5000px from a 20 year old negative.  The export is much better than the original, just can't figure out why I can't smooth-out that grain.

I've seen similar questions asked by fellow novices here and on other boards, but never resolved.  Usually, just more follow-up questions trying to understand the various settings in Developer, export, or the shot itself.  I've tried to include all the germane settings in the screenshot.  I'm in software myself, so I understand the probing questions, but this situation seems pretty basic. 

Thanks!

Dale

Three image files are here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131379872@N08/albums/72157655284880464

Capture.JPG

• 1. Re: Lightroom 6.x CC Export Inconsistent with Display in Developer:
          Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional

The only valid way to evaluate noise reduction and sharpening is to view the image at 100%.

Anyh other view will be misleading.

Different programs use different algorithms to scale the image to fit it in a window, so noise reduction is almost certain to look different.

• 2. Re: Lightroom 6.x CC Export Inconsistent with Display in Developer:
            dale.shelton Level 1

Thanks!  Here's a version where LR is set to 1:1 and Paint is set to 100%.

My expectation is that the rendered image will be nearly identical to the on screen edit.  It appears the white balancing and clone/heal all rendered well.  Whether the grain is the result of misapplied noise reduction or noise / grain added during rendering due to some other reason is difficult (for me) to determine, but is that basic WYSISYG expectation unrealistic?

Now - on to some very weird results (happening as I write this)!

Here is a 1:1 comparison from LR Developer and the rendered version with Paint at 100%

Capture.PNG

So, I thought, I would try moving it to PS CC with all edits in and compare / render from there.  That comparison is below.  That is in line with my expectations.

PS-CC-Capture.PNG

However, I used MS Photo Viewer on this comparison, so I thought I'd do a fresh compare with LR using MS Photo Viewer.  When I did, I somehow jacked up the edits on the sunset in LR, so I readjusted and re-rendered it.  You can see from the histogram the color settings are a bit different.  NOW the LR noise render is much closer to expectations.  Why?

LR Today.PNG

Here is a side by side of yesterday and today from lightroom.  The export settings did not change.  I DID do an export at 100% luminance accidently and I opened PS and messed around there a little.  Still, when I backed LR back down to 78% (yesterday's setting) it still rendered well.  The color setting in HSL are still a little different, but I can't understand why the noise seems to have cleared.

YesterdayAndToday.PNG

I will attempt to recreate the issue.

• 3. Re: Lightroom 6.x CC Export Inconsistent with Display in Developer:
              ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Don’t use Paint.

Reimport the exported image into LR and use Library X|Y to compare the two, zoomed in to 100%.

• 4. Re: Lightroom 6.x CC Export Inconsistent with Display in Developer:
                dale.shelton Level 1

Well, that seems like a painfully obvious approach.  Sorry about that. 

Ok, here is a rendered and reimported side by side.  Back to the same situation with the grain.

Untitled.png

• 5. Re: Lightroom 6.x CC Export Inconsistent with Display in Developer:
                  ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Is it something simple where you are using Export sharpening, which is sharpening mostly-smoothed grain into very-noticeable grain?

Show us your Export panel settings, including the Quality and Sharpening settings.

Here is what they look like in LR 6/2015:

• 6. Re: Lightroom 6.x CC Export Inconsistent with Display in Developer:
                    dale.shelton Level 1

RESOLVED!

I started to reply to this and got pulled away for work.  The process of rendering and importing the render to do a "candidate" comparison at 1:1 really helped nail down the issue. That allowed me to test the options in a more predictable way.

I'm really not sure why my first renders were so off base now.  Maybe I had something messed up in the export options initially and just kept making things worse as I struggled through the options.  But in the end, these last two comparisons (comment 4), the grain was caused by sharpening. 

Thanks!

Dale

ExportDialog.jpg