2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2015 3:00 AM by dj_paige

How do XMP files work if your catalog becomes corrupted/missing?

Picturequest Level 1

Recently I had a drive corrupted and lost files.

I have the write XMP file set in prefs. A couple scenarios so I can understand how this works.

If you have your library or catalog but lost your working files, I can get my RAWS from a back-up, but I would not have the XMPs.

Second, I lost my library or catalog but have my XMPs, how will lightroom libary rebuild the adjustments/developments if I point it to a folder with the RAWs and XMPs?

Finally, a conflict.I have an older back-ed up library/catalog. but lost my most recent. I have my RAWs and XMPs. How will Lightroom know to use thr XMPs rather than its own older developments?

I once hgad an issure bring a set of DNGs aith XMPs to a friends computer to print. We could not get LR or PS to see the developed RAWs, it would only show out of the camera DNGs, ignoring the XMP?

Anyone understand how this works?

Thank you

Max

Right now I have two identical sets of RAWs on 2 drives, but only the working folder has the current developed XMPs.

• 1. Re: How do XMP files work if your catalog becomes corrupted/missing?
          dj_paige Level 9

First, you need to make sure you have a backup of your Lightroom catalog file. If you have this, then you don't need the XMP files to restore everything, just use the backup of the catalog file.

Do not depend on XMP files as a backup mechanism. They are useful, but cannot provide a complete backup. There are many items in the Lightroom catalog which are never written to XMP. A partial list of those items never written to XMP are collections, pick flags, virtual copies, edit history of steps, books, web pages, slideshows. There are probably a few other things that are never written to XMP, but I don't recall right now.

So, making regular, automated backups of you catalog file to a different physical disk than the working catalog is mandatory (in my opinion), and you can restore everything without having a single XMP file. You need to turn on the catalog backup feature in Lightroom and set it to back up your catalog at regular intervals (daily or weekly or more frequently or less frequently, to meet your needs). If all you have are XMP files, these form a partial backup.

When you import photos into Lightroom, and they have an associated XMP file, Lightroom will read the XMP files and use the edits and metadata contained therein. If you have an older catalog and want to force Lightroom to use the XMP file information, select the photo(s) in Lightroom and then Metadata->Read Metadata from Files.

• 2. Re: How do XMP files work if your catalog becomes corrupted/missing?
            Picturequest Level 1

Good information.

I know LR doesn't support it, but are there any easy methods of BU to the cloud the Library/calalog? Unfortunately its so damn big, I don't have very fast uploads, so even free photo BU up like Google are useless on 32,000 photos.

It would be nice if LR had an incramental BU file that could be uploaded.

• 3. Re: How do XMP files work if your catalog becomes corrupted/missing?
              dj_paige Level 9

Depends on what you mean by "easy". I use both Carbonite and DropBox for catalog backups, and Carbonite for cloud backup of my photos, in my opinion those are about as "easy" as I can imagine cloud backup to be.