22 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2015 6:01 PM by A.T. Romano

Matching output aspect ratio and dimensions to source

camner2

Please pardon me if this is more elementary than I am making out to be, but I am fairly new to Premiere Elements, though I have used PSE on stills since version 2.

I have a number of source clips that come from various sources, particularly iPhones and digicams.  Also, some of these sources are from iCloud photo sharing or videos shared via email, so they have had their size and quality reduced from the original (and I can't get a hold of the originals).

1.  I presume that just as with stills, one should not upsize pixel dimensions, correct?  So, if the source is 320 x 568, I wouldn't want the output to be larger, correct?  Otherwise the video quality will be quite poor.

2.  When I create a new project, I seem only to be able to choose from the available presets, none of which, of course, have the pixel dimensions as small as in my example above.  How do I match the output size to the input size?  If I choose the Advanced button on Publish and Share and try to match the pixel dimensions of the input file, I get a VERY poor quality video.  The only way I can see to preserve the quality is to choose a much larger pixel dimension preset such as iPad 1080p 29.97 which results in a large file (about 4x the file size of the original) and a video at 1920x1080, which then by default shows up on my computer screen as a gigantic video which is of poor quality due to the upsizing which requires a manual drag of the video to make it smaller.

I feel I have to be missing something here.  What I really want to do is to import a clip, due some editing, and then export it in the same size and quality, that is, as close to the original as I can.  Is there a way to do this?

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Matching output aspect ratio and dimensions to source
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

1. 320x528 is a VERY small video. About one-fourth the resolution of standard DV, which is the lowest resolution project you can create in Premiere Elements. No matter what you do with it, it's going to look blurry and low resolution.

2. Since version 11, Premiere Elements automatically sets up its project to match the specs (as closely as possible) of the first video you add to your timeline. Without knowing which version of the program you're using, it's impossible to give you specific instructions here.

• 2. Re: Matching output aspect ratio and dimensions to source
            A.T. Romano Level 7

camner2

What version of Premiere Elements, and what computer operating system is involved? Are you in a NTSC or PAL setup.

I will assume NTSC for now.

What is the width and height in pixels for the still

320 pixels = Width and 568 pixels = Height

or

568 pixels = Width and 320 pixels = Height?

If you have Premiere Elements 11, 12, or 13, consider -

1. Manually set the project preset to NTSC/AVCHD/AVCHD LITE 720p30

To do that...

• Open the project to the Expert workspace, and go to File Menu/New Project and Change Settings.
            • In Change Settings, set the project preset to NTSC/AVCHD/AVCHD LITE 720p30. OK out of there.
            • In the New Project dialog that opens, rename the project and make sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project". OK out of there.
            • Back in the Expert workspace, import your source media using Add Media/ choice.

For your QuickTime export, Publish+Share/Computer/QuickTime with Presets = NTSC DV 16:9. Then under the Advanced Button/Video Tab of that selected preset, set under Video Tab

QuickScreenshot.JPG

The Bitrate is cut off at the bottom of screenshot. Scroll down further than what is shown in the screenshot, and place check mark next to "Limit Data Rate to" and type in 10000 which is in kbps units (kilobits per second).

The example that you gave does not have that great a resolution to start with.

The basic guidelines here include

a. Project preset to match properties of source media - if the project cannot do it for you automatically, then you set the project preset manual

b. If you have a 16:9 source, keep with a 16:9 workflow, and if you have a 4:3 source, keep with a 4:3 workflow.

c. Workarounds and exceptions are dependent on the details of the situation.

Please review and consider, give more details, and then we can consider what can be done.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: Matching output aspect ratio and dimensions to source
              A.T. Romano Level 7

camner2

Add On Note...

When I hit the Add Reply button to post my comments (post numbered 2), I did not see any prior reply to your question.

We will be watching for your reply to all posts in your thread.

Thank you for your consideration.

ATR

• 4. Re: Matching output aspect ratio and dimensions to source
                camner21

Thanks for your quick responses, and my sincere apologies for leaving out the important info re app version and OS.  I know better, and offer no excuse, only the reason of writing the post late last night and rushing through it.

I'm using PrE 11 (I'm planning on upgrading to 14 once it is out, unless the good folks here say that the earlier version is better....), on OS X 10.10.x.

Later today I will poke around some more based on what has already been written and hopefully will have more intelligent to to the point questions.  The example I gave in the original post is an extreme case of a poor quality/low size original; most of what I have to work with is far better.  I'm only bothering with it because it (and others like it) are videos just after my daughter gave birth and in the first couple of months, and they hold sentimental value for that reason, even if they don't have so much value as quality videos.

Thanks again, and I'll post again later.

• 5. Re: Matching output aspect ratio and dimensions to source
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

camner21

Thanks for the follow up.

We will do everything possible to get you the best possible quality video that you want from your Premiere Elements 11 Mac and the source media that are so very important to you.

Thanks for exploring the suggestions. Looking forward to your results and further details to fine tune the task if needed - as your schedule permits.

Best wishes

ATR

• 6. Re: Matching output aspect ratio and dimensions to source
                    camner2 Level 1

Thanks for the detailed instructions.  I have attempted to follow them to the letter, and the results are unexpected (at least to me).  I'm giving links to screenshots of the output of the settings you suggested, followed by a screenshot of the original video. Uploading the screenshots to this forum didn't work well as the forum backend software resized the images and you need to see them at their real size.

Screenshot of output video

Screenshot of original video

As one can clearly see, the quality of the output video is inferior to that of the original video.

One thing that confuses me is that the output video has a higher framerate and a higher bitrate (and thus a much larger file size) than the original video.  Why is the quality then so much worse?  I would have thought (based on my limited understanding of what goes into video quality) that a higher framerate and a higher bitrate would lead to higher quality.  What am I missing here?

A couple of other questions:

1.  What was the purpose of limiting the bit rate to 10,000 rather than leaving the box unchecked and letting PrE choose the bit rate?

2.  In this screenshot, which was taken immediately after loading the media to the timeline, shows that the left and right edges are going to be cut off.  Since I put in precisely the dimensions of the original video into the settings I forced, why is this happening?

3.  You asked about the dimensions of the video:

or

568 pixels = Width and 320 pixels = Height

I would have answered the first (320 w x 568 h) since the video is in portrait mode, but if you look at the second screenshot, you can clearly see it is labeled 568 x 320, not the other way 'round.  Is this because the video was shot with an iPhone in portrait mode and the dimensions stated assume that the camera was held in landscape mode?

4. What, if anything, can be done about the pillarboxing? This video will be seen by some on iDevices, by others on computer screens...I would think that it would be best if the output video was like the input video in that there should be no pillar- or letter boxing, allowing the device on which the video is seen to let it fill the available screen space, either automatically (as typically happens on an iDevice) or manually (as in QuickTime Player or WMP on a computer).

My goal is to take these videos, make some relatively simple edits, and output them in a quality that matches the input quality as closely as possible.  I would like to do the same with other videos for which I have better originals (because I have access to the devices on which the videos were taken).

Thanks again for your help.  I obviously have a lot to learn about the way video editors handle output quality.

• 7. Re: Matching output aspect ratio and dimensions to source
                      camner2 Level 1

Hmmm...after sending the reply above, I see that the post is "currently being moderated."  Is that something that happens only for a while until someone has posted a certain number of posts, or is this a moderated forum and all posts go into a moderation queue?

• 8. Re: Matching output aspect ratio and dimensions to source
                        camner2 Level 1

I now see that the short post #7 did NOT go into a moderation queue.  What determines whether a post needs moderation?

• 9. Re: Matching output aspect ratio and dimensions to source
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

camner2

The detours of the posts to moderation and back have been a big topic of discussion. It is an Adobe Forums matter over which we have no control.

Apparently it relates to the number of posts the originator of the threads has....not necessarily a reflection on the content. I get one of those notices as well as when I am replying to the new forum poster's thread.

I am not sure how many times the new forum poster has to post before that stops happening.

This matter takes up moderator time and causes delays in the communications. But, it is what it is. I have already written a thread about this in the Adobe Comments Forum.

ATR

• 10. Re: Matching output aspect ratio and dimensions to source
                            camner2 Level 1

I wonder if it (a post heading to moderation) was a result of my using external links in my post (presumably those could theoretically be phishing, I suppose).  I did so because I wanted to post screenshots and when I uploaded them to insert directly into the post I saw that they had been resized in such a way as to not make the point I wanted to make at all clear.  As an experiment I'm going to try the same post again but with the screenshots directly inserted.

• 11. Re: Matching output aspect ratio and dimensions to source
                              camner2 Level 1

Thanks for the detailed instructions.  I have attempted to follow them to the letter, and the results are unexpected (at least to me).  I'm giving links to screenshots of the output of the settings you suggested, followed by a screenshot of the original video. Uploading the screenshots to this forum didn't work well as the forum backend software resized the images and you need to see them at their real size.

adb_scrsht1.jpg

(above is output video)

adb_scrsht2.jpg

(above is original video)

As one can clearly see, the quality of the output video is inferior to that of the original video.

One thing that confuses me is that the output video has a higher framerate and a higher bitrate (and thus a much larger file size) than the original video.  Why is the quality then so much worse?  I would have thought (based on my limited understanding of what goes into video quality) that a higher framerate and a higher bitrate would lead to higher quality.  What am I missing here?

A couple of other questions:

1.  What was the purpose of limiting the bit rate to 10,000 rather than leaving the box unchecked and letting PrE choose the bit rate?

adb_scrsht3.jpg

2. The screenshot above , which was taken immediately after loading the media to the timeline, shows that the left and right edges are going to be cut off.  Since I put in precisely the dimensions of the original video into the settings I forced, why is this happening?

3.  You asked about the dimensions of the video:

or

568 pixels = Width and 320 pixels = Height

I would have answered the first (320 w x 568 h) since the video is in portrait mode, but if you look at the second screenshot, you can clearly see it is labeled 568 x 320, not the other way 'round.  Is this because the video was shot with an iPhone in portrait mode and the dimensions stated assume that the camera was held in landscape mode?

4. What, if anything, can be done about the pillarboxing? This video will be seen by some on iDevices, by others on computer screens...I would think that it would be best if the output video was like the input video in that there should be no pillar- or letter boxing, allowing the device on which the video is seen to let it fill the available screen space, either automatically (as typically happens on an iDevice) or manually (as in QuickTime Player or WMP on a computer).

My goal is to take these videos, make some relatively simple edits, and output them in a quality that matches the input quality as closely as possible.  I would like to do the same with other videos for which I have better originals (because I have access to the devices on which the videos were taken).

Thanks again for your help.  I obviously have a lot to learn about the way video editors handle output quality.

• 12. Re: Matching output aspect ratio and dimensions to source
                                camner2 Level 1

Bingo!  That was it.  External links from a new poster...

• 13. Re: Matching output aspect ratio and dimensions to source
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

camner2

Thanks for the reply with details. What I described assumed the landscape orientation for the video and was road tested for that.

Your iPhone portrait oriented video changes the detail considerations. Premiere Elements project settings are for the conventional landscape oriented video. But, I have described how to create your own project preset for these portrait oriented iPhone videos.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE12: Project Preset with 21:9 Display Aspect Ratio

That started with the following forum thread

21:9 Premiere 12?

But, before I go further to address all your comments in post numbered 10, what do you mean by

Bingo!  That was it.  External links from a new poster...

I do not see any new poster in your thread.

Thanks.

ATR

• 14. Re: Matching output aspect ratio and dimensions to source
                                    camner2 Level 1

Sorry to be unclear.  What I meant was this...my original post (the one that went into the moderation queue) had links to external sources (a place I put the screenshots).  I wondered if that was the problem, so I posted exactly the same text again, but with inline attachments rather than external links, and that repost did NOT go into moderation.  Correlation doesn't imply causation, however....

• 15. Re: Matching output aspect ratio and dimensions to source
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

camner2

Thanks for the clarification on the post moderation. Here is the link to the thread that I wrote on the matter

What is happening today with messages being moderated?

John T. Smith's information would be consistent with what you just experienced. However, I have seen those moderation pop ups for new comers who did not have links in their threads. So, I am not sure what to make of that as the absolute trigger for this.

Back to work on getting your beautiful videos imported, edited, and export. Please read through the details in the two 21:9 links in post 12.

I will work through those details to customize them for you and get back to you. I am moving forward based on your use of portrait oriented video, 320 width in pixels and 568 height in pixel...9:16.

I need to read your post 10 in fuller detail.

To be continued....

ATR

• 16. Re: Matching output aspect ratio and dimensions to source
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

camner2

The task is going to be for you to create your own project preset for 320 x 568 @ 24 progressive frame per second video so that you can use it to create your 320 x 568 Premiere Elements 12/12.1 project. After you manually set the Premiere Elements project to the new project preset 320 x 568, your imported video should look like this

SampleSpecial.JPG

Step 1. Create the Special Project Preset 320 (width in pixels) x 568 (height in pixels)

Use the How To In the blog post ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE12: Project Preset with 21:9 Display Aspect Ratio

but with these changes in the blog post ... see bold print.

1. Locate and copy to the computer desktop the DSLR 1080p24.sqpreset file found in the Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit path

Local Disk C

Program Files

Adobe Premiere Elements 12

Settings

SequencePresets

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

and in the 1080p Folder is the DSLR 1080p24.sqpreset file.

Rename the DSLR 1080p24.sqpreset file so that the file name is now

DSLR 568p24.sqpreset file.

2. At the computer desktop level, right click the .sqpreset file pasted and renamed there, select Open With, and then select Notepad.

3. In the Notepad document there are only two places that need to be changed. The first at the top of the Notepad document, change

<PreviewVideoFrameSize>0,0,1920,1080</PreviewVideoFrameSize>

To:

<PreviewVideoFrameSize>0,0,320,568</PreviewVideoFrameSize>

and at the bottom of the Notepad document, change

<VideoFrameSize>0,0,1920,1080</VideoFrameSize>

To:

<VideoFrameSize>0,0,320,568</VideoFrameSize>

Then save the edited Notepad document, using specifically File Menu/Save.

4. Go to

Local Disk C

Program Files

Settings

SequencePresets

NTSC

DSLR

and in the DSLR Folder create a empty 568p Folder.

In the 568 p Folder, place the user customized project preset that was just created.

5. Set the Premiere Elements 12/12.1 manually to your new 568p project preset using the following instructions

• Open the project to the Expert workspace, and go to File Menu/New Project and Change Settings.
                                        • In Change Settings, set the project preset to NTSC/DSLR/1080p/DSLR 568p24. OK out of there.
                                        • In the New Project dialog that opens, rename the project and make sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project". OK out of there.
                                        • Back in the Expert workspace, import your source media using Add Media/ choice.

6. Import your source 320 x 568 @ 24 progressive frames per second video into the project with the project's Add Media/Files and Folders.

This Timeline content can be export to give AVCHD.mp4 or H.264.mov at 24 progressive frames per second (320 x 568 pixels). I will post advanced export settings once you have gotten the above completed.

Your original video is not the best resolution, but if that is the highest resolution that you cell phone can give, then we will get the best possible under the circumstances.

If you go step by step it is not as formidable as it looks.

After you review the above and before you start, please ask if you see anything that you question. I have proofread the above as well as road tested it, and it appears to be OK.

ATR

• 17. Re: Matching output aspect ratio and dimensions to source
                                          camner2 Level 1

Geez Louise, that seems quite the process for what conceptually seems easy.  All I want to do is take a source video, edit it, and then create a output video that matches the input video in quality, pixel dimensions, etc.  I really don't understand why it should be necessary to delve into the bowels of PrE and make changes to the innards to do that.

If I understand the above steps correctly, it seems that PrE only supports certain format outputs (i.e., the various "presets") and that therefore one has to go in and manually create different presets outside of PrE to accomplish what I wish to do.  Am I going to have to do that for more standard iPhone videos shot in portrait mode (e.g., 1080 x 1920 or any other pixel ration that isn't 16:9 or 4:3?) in order to avoid the pillar boxing?

I'm going to have to study the steps some more, and try to translate from the Windows instructions to Mac OS X.  My previous experience with Adobe software is that the various elements are pretty much the same on the two platforms but that the file locations are different.  Fortunately I have a "file find" app that is able to look inside what are otherwise hidden folders so I should be able to locate the specified 1080p folder.

If it isn't too difficult to explain, it would be great to understand why what I did as described in post #11 resulted in such a low quality video.  I understand why the pillar boxing took place, I think (PrE's available output presets), but not why the video quality changed so much, particularly since it had a higher frame rate and bit rate. 

Thanks so much for the amount of time you obviously spent in preparing your posts; I appreciate it. 

• 18. Re: Matching output aspect ratio and dimensions to source
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

camner2

Thanks for the follow up.

Typically video is 4:3 or 16:9 and landscape oriented. The portrait oriented video is destined to have black borders in Premiere Elements unless you take Adobe undocumented means to get the results that I did where you have a 320 x 568 project, imported 320 x 568 media, and exported as 320 x 568 file that would play full screen in the QuickTIme player.

In the realm of video, 320 x 568 is low resolution video. Once in a project, you could scale it up (zoom in), but you can get away with just so much of that before image pixelation sets in. What cell phone do you have? Most recent ones can record 1920 x 1080p which is far off from 320 x 568. Do you have a choice of recording settings for that phone?

Another issue with cell phones is that they typically record with a variable rather than constant frame rate. Premiere Elements does not do well with variable frame rate. The symptoms range from audio out of sync to not being able to import the video at all. The typical remedy is to take the video into the free HandBrake program to obtain a H.264.mp4 version with a constant frame rate to import into the Premiere Elements project.

Back to video resolution...where are you playing this video where you get better resolution than what you are seeing in the Edit area of Premiere Elements?

Tomorrow morning I will go through the details of importing your 320 x 568 into Premiere Elements to get the best possible looking portrait oriented video which will have black borders.

The drill for this type of matter....

a. Import your video into a project where the project's settings match the properties of the source video...there is no 320 x 568 project preset  in Premiere Elements....the project settings will direct the project to set up the correct space in the Edit area monitor for editing...and so on.

Any way you could record your video at a higher resolution that is landscape oriented?

To be continued in the morning.

ATR

• 19. Re: Matching output aspect ratio and dimensions to source
                                              camner2 Level 1

Some of the video clips I have either I or my wife took (either on a digicam or an iPhone) and I have access to the full-sized originals.  Some of the clips were taken by my daughter or son-in-law and were shared with me either via iCloud Photo sharing or via email.  Some of those are NOT full-sized originals and I can't get those originals.  That's why I have the smaller, poorer quality clips. 

As far as using Handbrake to turn a variable frame rate video into a constant frame rate video, I can certainly do that.  But the default settings in Handbrake for H.264 results in a MUCH smaller file, which is presumably due to a reduced frame or bit rate.  What settings do you recommend so that the file that is created is as high quality as possible?  I'm assuming (perhaps incorrectly), that repeated re-encoding (say, with H.264) results in lower quality output each time, similar to what happens when one uses jpeg compression on a still image and then opens, edits, and then resaves with additional jpeg compression.  Am I right about this assumption?

Thanks again.

• 20. Re: Matching output aspect ratio and dimensions to source
                                                camner2 Level 1

Brilliant!  Worked like a charm (except for one small thing...see below).  Your instructions were quite easy to follow, and the translation to the Mac was not hard (as long as one knows one important little trick).

For the benefit of those who might read this later and who are on a Mac, to get to the DSLR 1080p24.sqpreset file one needs to navigate as follows:

Macintosh HD (or whatever the name of boot drive is)

Applications

Support Files

Then right click (or control-click) on the Adobe Premiere Elements file (NOT the Adobe Premiere Elements 12 shortcut file) and select Open Package Contents

Then navigate to:

Contents

Settings

SequencePresets

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

NotePad is a Windows only app, so to edit the DSLR 1080p24.sqpreset file right click (or control click) that file and select "Open with" --> "Other" and select TextEdit

Now as for the "one small thing..." You will notice in the screenshot below that there is a small amount of letter boxing on the PrE output video (on the left), despite QuickTime reporting 320x568 in the "Format" section.  I don't understand why that is happening, though it is not the end of the world.

2015-08-24 screenshot2.jpg

And one other question about the way PrE operates.  The screenshot below shows the original video on the right next to the preview in PrE on the left, and the color is clearly different (more saturated) in the PrE preview, although in the exported movie I don't notice this difference.  I made no adjustments at all...just imported and exported the movie with the instructions provided. What's happening here?

2015-08-24 screenshot1.jpg

And finally, what are the "advanced export settings" you would suggest?

Thanks again for all of your help. This is definitely heading where I want to go!

• 21. Re: Matching output aspect ratio and dimensions to source
                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

camner2

Very impressive reply. Major contribution translating Windows into Mac, many thanks for that.

Screenshot 1....where is the viewing location? Are you showing the playback of a Publish+Share/Computer/Quicktime export in the computer's QuickTime player?

When you are at the Edit area monitor with your new preset for 320 x 568 in effect and you have your video 320 x 568 on the Timeline, do you see black borders in the Edit area monitor?

If so, please go back to the document that you edited to assure that 320 x 568 was entered at the appropriate places.

Also, right click the imported video's thumbnail in Expert workspace Project Assets and select Properties. Do the properties include 320 width and 568 height?

Screenshot 2....see if it makes a difference if you right click the Edit area monitor, select Playback Quality, and then set for Highest instead of Automatic? If the exports look OK, then leave everything as is. Otherwise, explore the application of fx Effects/Advanced Adjustments/Image Control applied to the clip. Edits of the effect are done under Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palette/Image Control Panel expanded with its options for Brightness, Contrast, Hue, and Saturation.

If you are going for H.264.mov 320 x 568 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second, consider

Publish+Share/Computer/QuickTime with Presets = NTSC DV 16:9, then under Advanced Button/Video Tab of that preset customized the selected preset as per the details in the following screenshot

QuickTime.JPG

Further down in that screenshot is a place (cut off in the above) "Limit Data Rate to_____kbps". Put a check mark next to that and type in 10000 for now and let me know the resulting file size of the export.

If you are going for H.264.mp4 320 x 568 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second, consider

Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with Presets = MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p30, then under Advanced Button/Video Tab of that preset customized the selected preset as per the details in the following screenshot

AVCHD.JPG

Please consider. As your schedule permits, please let us know of your progress.

We are very pleased with your accomplishments.

Best wishes

ATR

• 22. Re: Matching output aspect ratio and dimensions to source
                                                    camner2 Level 1

A.T. Romano wrote:

camner2

Very impressive reply. Major contribution translating Windows into Mac, many thanks for that.

I'm glad I was able to help with the Mac translation.  I learn so much from the kind (and often time consuming) help provided by others, so it only seems reasonable to make a contribution in return in areas in which I am able.

Screenshot 1....where is the viewing location? Are you showing the playback of a Publish+Share/Computer/Quicktime export in the computer's QuickTime player?

Yes, I was showing in Screenshot 1 the playback of a Publish+Share/Computer/Quicktime export in my computer's QuickTime player

When you are at the Edit area monitor with your new preset for 320 x 568 in effect and you have your video 320 x 568 on the Timeline, do you see black borders in the Edit area monitor?

If so, please go back to the document that you edited to assure that 320 x 568 was entered at the appropriate places.

Also, right click the imported video's thumbnail in Expert workspace Project Assets and select Properties. Do the properties include 320 width and 568 height?

No, there are no black borders in the Edit area monitor (see screenshot below). And the properties include 320 width and 568 height (also see screenshot below)

2015-08-25 screenshot1.jpg

So it remains a mystery why the output video has a small amount of letter boxing.

Screenshot 2....see if it makes a difference if you right click the Edit area monitor, select Playback Quality, and then set for Highest instead of Automatic?

Alas, it makes no difference if the Playback Quality is set to Highest instead of Automatic

The odd thing is that it seems to depend on whether the video is actually playing in the editor or not, and when not playing, whether the video image in the editor is "active" via clicking.  See quick video below.

If the exports look OK, then leave everything as is. Otherwise, explore the application of fx Effects/Advanced Adjustments/Image Control applied to the clip. Edits of the effect are done under Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palette/Image Control Panel expanded with its options for Brightness, Contrast, Hue, and Saturation.

If you are going for H.264.mov 320 x 568 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second, consider

Publish+Share/Computer/QuickTime with Presets = NTSC DV 16:9, then under Advanced Button/Video Tab of that preset customized the selected preset as per the details in the following screenshot

Further down in that screenshot is a place (cut off in the above) "Limit Data Rate to_____kbps". Put a check mark next to that and type in 10000 for now and let me know the resulting file size of the export.

If you are going for H.264.mp4 320 x 568 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second, consider

Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with Presets = MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p30, then under Advanced Button/Video Tab of that preset customized the selected preset as per the details in the following screenshot

Please consider. As your schedule permits, please let us know of your progress.

We are very pleased with your accomplishments.

Best wishes

ATR

(your screenshots deleted for the sake of room)

I don't know enough about the considerations to think about in output format to really know what format I should be aiming for.  From the screenshots in your post, it appears that a .mov file (at least with these settings) is much larger than a .mp4 file (though both are H.264).  For the .mov file the output sections says both the target and maximum are 10Mbps while for the .mp4 file the target is 32Mbps with a max of 40.

What is the basis of a reasonable decision about output format and bitrate?  For example, the source file for this video has a 752kbit/s bit rate.  Does that mean that it is pointless to select an output bitrate that is any higher than the source since one cannot "improve" a video past its source quality?

And lastly, as for frame rate (24 vs 29.97) should one choose to keep whatever the source frame rate (in my case 24) unless one has a particular reason to want to convert to a different frame rate?

Thanks again for all of your help.

• 23. Re: Matching output aspect ratio and dimensions to source
                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

camner2

Generalization...lower the bitrate, the smaller the file size, the lower the quality and the higher the bitrate, the larger the file size, and the greater the quality.

And, some formats can use lower bitrates than others to obtain comparable results.

Consequently, exploration and experimentation are keys to bitrate decision. You could see if you could improve export video quality to any great extent going over 752 kbps (kilobits per second) and keeping within the file size that you want. In the case of the  32 Target and 40 Maximum Bitrate rates that you mentioned, you could lower them/adjust them to the point where quality is maintained as you lower the bitrates and lower the file sizes.

I would consider maintaining the frame rate in the workflow. But, if you deal with interlaced video, I would use an interlaced project preset, but export with a progressive frame rate or a preset that deinterlaces interlaced video.

We are very pleased with your progress, your contributions to the other Premiere Elements users, and the direction in which you wonderful project is going.

Best wishes

ATR