13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2015 2:19 AM by jonathan+7007

Database and external drive can't get re-connected after drive swaps (?)

jonathan+7007 Level 1
      • I have a problem getting my existing database reconnected after adding a big SSD and swapping out a different hard drive in a different bay. Details below.
      • I run LRCC on a Win7 64-bit desktop machine with lots of RAM.
      • My catalog is on disk in the expected place and is the right size (2.93Gig for 120,000 images)
      • The catalog and previews are on an SSD - not with the images
      • My image folders are on a USB3 external RAID array; I have everything in a folder called "Lightroom".
      • This external drive is shown as "Online" in the Folder Pane
      • My image folders cannot be seen under the name of the external (RAID) disk on which the images are kept.
      • e.g., no folders with question marks
      • The correct image folders are not shown anywhere else in the LR folder pane.
      • I had to rename and re-establish the drive letter for the external disk. I don't THINK this would be  problem. It had been drive \K: before and ended up re-assigned a different letter. When I looked at the sharing path it was wrong, as it used the name of a different (internal) disk. That's when I forced re-assignment to the previous letter and path assignment that had been working all along.
      • I have started to go back to older catalogs and they are not opening Lightroom with the database and folder pane showing the images where they are actually stored.
      • These older catalogs don't present me with "Pictures not found " question marks, either. I have gone back a month. No luck.
      • If I go to  the folder pane and try to "Add" a the root Lightroom folder on the external drive (the correct home of all the images)  it becomes an IMPORT and I find a lot of images that are not understood by LR as part of the database. They should ALL be already there.
      • Most of these checked images - needing to be imported - are JPG versions of files for which the .CR2 is seen as in the database. I can find no keywords assigned to the images that are thought by LR to be in the database, although I don't know if the keywords for images already databased show at that particular step normally.
      • Yes, I have restarted a bunch of times hoping for a miracle! Any thoughts on this?
      • Thanks in advance for any help.
        • 1. Re: Database and external drive can't get re-connected after drive swaps (?)
          99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Have you tried right-clicking on a folder name and choosing "Update Folder Location" and then navigating to the new drive?

If you have photos organized in sub-folders it may work for the top level (parent) folder.

• 2. Re: Database and external drive can't get re-connected after drive swaps (?)
            jonathan+7007 Level 1

Jon,

Thank you for your quick response!

As you see in the list above, I don't get any folders with question marks. I know what to do in that case.

My database used to work just fine with the images on this same Western Digital "MyBookDuo" RAID array over USB3. After an unrelated disk swap of internal drives I had to force it back to the old drive letter and path. That was really odd: the path was wrong in the Sharing tab of the Properties dialogs.

In my folder pane I have to ask the USB external to ADD the root Lightroom folder (images only) and if I do it's a huge import with many images that I know were in the database showing as new images to be added in place.

Not good...

Any other thoughts?

• 3. Re: Database and external drive can't get re-connected after drive swaps (?)

You shouldn't be re-importing. Maybe you can post a screen-shot of your Library.

• 4. Re: Database and external drive can't get re-connected after drive swaps (?)
                jonathan+7007 Level 1

I can do a screen grab of the Folder Pane but it will NOT show my Library (database). That's the problem. If you read my list of events and steps...

This screen shot shows just one folder in the external drive and this is NOT a folder that can be found in Windows Explorer. I have 120,000 pictures in my database.

See this:

2015-08-22_22-49-57.jpg

• 5. Re: Database and external drive can't get re-connected after drive swaps (?)

What's under data Drive H - shown on your screen grab as 115,000 images?

• 6. Re: Database and external drive can't get re-connected after drive swaps (?)
                    jonathan+7007 Level 1

That's a previous storage location for the full set of images. I no longer use that "Lightroom" folder -- that [internal]hard drive had been out of the production machine for several months.

But placing this back in the desktop is about the time Lightroom got confused so it may be the culprit, although all my reading and research before posting this inquiry here did not indicate it would be the issue. I read that Lightroom knows the serial numbers of the drives it is looking for because drive letters can change!

Before posting I was trying older backup catalog files. On one of the attempts I identified the old Lightroom folder on Drive H and selected "Remove". It should have been all duplicates of the newer version of the LR database on that different external drive, so that content is mostly the database I have been using smoothly until just the other day. "Remove" seemed appropriate as I didn't want pointers to those locations and I plan to erase all that old content..

When I restarted, I found that removing the old database pointers to these out-of-date files did NOT result in Lightroom being able to find the right image folders on the external drive "K".

In the test attempt from which the screenshot was saved the "lrcat" file still had the old pointers.

Thanks for the follow - up. Late here and I have been packing for a shoot tomorrow requiring me to leave in just six hours... All further ideas from anyone are appreciated but I can't answer for about 12-14 hours.

• 7. Re: Database and external drive can't get re-connected after drive swaps (?)

I think I would be tempted to go back to an earlier backup e.g. before you removed anything. Double click the .lrcat file to launch or start an empty catalog File >> New Catlaog and open the backup into that.

It should then be possible to re-map the drive letters or update the folder locations to correspond with the raid.  You could even consider static drive letters such as X, Y, Z.

• 8. Re: Database and external drive can't get re-connected after drive swaps (?)
                        jonathan+7007 Level 1

I have gone back over a month and none of them see/allow access to the

folders on the external. But the database file that sees no folders -

yesterdays for example - is still large and seem intact.

Late letters like … X Y ::::::;!!

On Aug 23, 2015 12:46 AM, "99jon" <forums_noreply@adobe.com> wrote:::;

>;;;!!!!!!!!:!!:;:‚!::::!:!!!!!!!::!:!!!!!!!!:!!!!!::!!!!!!!!!!!!!!’

Database and external drive can't get re-connected after drive swaps (?)

created by 99jon in Photoshop Lightroom - View the full discussion

>

• 9. Re: Database and external drive can't get re-connected after drive swaps (?)
                          jonathan+7007 Level 1

Drive letter assignments like W-X-Y-Z are already given to shares mapped to Windows Explorer. But changing the external drive back to the original drive letter it used when the database was working has not helped.

Anyone else have any ideas?

jonathan7007

• 10. Re: Database and external drive can't get re-connected after drive swaps (?)
                            jonathan+7007 Level 1

As there are no more suggestions I opened a new thread about database repair even though I have never received the error/warning about database corruption.

I need some more ideas about the reason the existing database can't operate with the images as it used to.

• 11. Re: Database and external drive can't get re-connected after drive swaps (?)

I still don’t understand why you can’t update folder location. If LR is pointing to the images on Data2 (H) why can’t you simply point to where the images are now located?

If it’s not working on the main Lightroom folder try right-clicking on an individual folder and then choose “Update Folder Location” and navigate to the new location and select the folder.

• 12. Re: Database and external drive can't get re-connected after drive swaps (?)
                                jonathan+7007 Level 1

Jon,

to answer your most recent Replay, I removed the "H: drive because I suspected that it might be adding to the confusion. That's a way-too-old Lightroom folder to use as a re-building foundation.

Here's the good news:

I looked more closely at one of your suggestions which, at the time I first read it, seemed counter-intuitive. I think this is in one of your messages above --

1. Open a new empty catalog. This will know nothing about my previous LR locations, anything.

2. Choose "Import from catalog" option, and point to a recent backup catalog.

3. Pray.

Sorta worked! The recent few weeks' material not there but I have forced that back in through careful "Synchronization requests in the "08" folder for August of 2015 -- now that Lightroom can even SEE the folder structure inside the top folder "Lightroom". This was not an import, it appeared, as metadata was coming, too.

I did not have to remap anything because the folder structure in the left-side LR "Folder Pane" was displaying the correct drive structure after this forced import OF A CATALOG.

What I believe was hardest for me to convey about the problem was that my data seemed to be in these backup catalog files but none of them would open as catalogs with the structure even acknowledged, shown in any way. So there was no way to force it to *go* to a folder and connect. That "H" drive Lightroom was an old old set of content. I have to erase all that before Lightroom gets to see that on the SATA bus again.

Thank you for the suggestion and when I saw one other passing reference somewhere else to catalog re-awakening I remembered what you wrote.

Jonathan7007

• 13. Re: Database and external drive can't get re-connected after drive swaps (?)

Thanks for letting us know. Glad you were able to rescue your catalog.

• 14. Re: Database and external drive can't get re-connected after drive swaps (?)
                                    jonathan+7007 Level 1

A nail-biter. But I didn't panic... I knew the solution had been found by others -- just needed digging.

I have started to do more research into even MORE backup like turning XMP file creation "on" and I have pointed my NAS at the catalog folder more specifically. Also moved catalog saving to a different drive from the catalog itself.

Again, thanks.

jonathan7007